bug in "Investigate" tab?

DayDreaming

Full time employment: Posting here.
Using "Investigate" to check spending level, it was showing me a ridiculously high number for what I could spend annually - it was showing me $131,196 when somewhere around $47,000 would be more realistic.

I went to the "Other Spending" tab to make sure my SS and pension numbers were correct. They were. As a test, I zeroed out my SS and pension numbers and "Investigate" showed me the exact same $131,196. Just for kicks I put in $250,000 for annual SS income and "Investigate" still showed me $131,196.

Then I noticed that in the "Not Retired?" tab, I had 2008 for the year recorded there because I have my numbers saved from last year via "link to this set of data" link.

I cleared out the 2008, and Investigate now shows me a number that seems more real, and it now pays attention to the numbers I use for SS and pension.

So the bug seems to be related to having a retirement date in the past.

And I'd also like to say that I love Firecalc!

I had some buggy numbers and then realized I put in 08 by accident.

It's been a while, but I recollect that FIRECalc only works for current or future retirement dates.
Which makes perfect sense. So FireCalc should just treat a date in the past as no date at all, and then it would work correctly instead of giving misleading numbers.

I'm not complaining, I was only trying to be helpful. I thought the developer would like to know about a situation where Firecalc can give wildly wrong numbers.

Back
Top Bottom