Free Denny's Breakfast w/ Pics and Vids

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Had to take advantage of the Denny's free grand slam breakfast today. Denny's had a superbowl ad in which they announced a free breakfast for anyone today between 6 AM and 2 PM.

If we drove, it wouldn't be free, so we rode our bikes to the nearest Denny's (20 miles away).

The weather was perfect and it wasn't too cold.

img_779935_0_47a7983fad98e05077c7903960d426eb.jpg

We waited in the long line with all the other tightwads, but it only took 15 minutes.

img_779935_1_8ee11e497e74e1080383669402a123f5.jpg

We sat down at noon, and we got the very last two Grand Slam breakfasts! They ran out after serving us.

Here they are, 795 calories each:

img_779935_2_1055cff11b366db266acddce6566af96.jpg

I expected a riot when they ran out, but people remained calm.

img_779935_3_6067aaba97cebddd9271019fc7560121.jpg

Rain checks were distributed.

The weather was quite summery most of the way back (60 degrees). I wanted to nap, but Lena vetoed that.

img_779935_4_51fcfe4d2ca2585c982697c6da660b92.jpg

Finally, here are some videos, taken on the way home, for your viewing pleasure:

YouTube - Lena Rides On Gravel

YouTube - Lena Rides By Lighthouse

YouTube - Al Rides Along Clam Beach

Nice photos, Al. Now I'm hungry for pancakes. I saw the CEO on CNN? and he said weekday grand slams are $4 til 4:00 pm, not a bad price if one must pay :)

I haven't seen any numbers on what this promotion cost Denny's but they're getting a lot of press about it. I've seen both national and local news clips - and our very own "Spandex Guy" is covering it for E-R.org!

Edit to add:

From CNN:
Media outlets reported customers lined up outside the doors of many of Denny's 1,500 locations.

Some patrons were still wearing their pajamas and slippers...
Al, they didn't confuse your biking togs for PJ's did they?

Only thing better looking than that breakfast is that coastline. Sure is pretty up there. San Diego is so built out, you look at houses right up to the water line everywhere you go.

Heck that's nothing. I got together with 40,000 of my closest friends and had a great free breakfast on Friday morning.
18602878_320X240.jpg

Promoters say this year's Cowboy Breakfast was a roaring success with an impressive attendance, despite temperatures dipping into the 20s, reaching just below 40 degrees at the end of the event.
“Oh, I'd have to guess at least 40,000 people were here because we went through all of the food that we had,” said Bert Mazoc, vice chair, Cowboy Breakfast Association.

Cowboy Breakfast draws crowd

I have a hard time passing up free food but at a cost of $7 in gas to drive to the nearest Denny's and back it wasn't even close to free so no Grand Slam for me. Not all of us can bike in early february. It was below 0 with the wind chill in the morning.

Al: I don't see any locks on those bikes. You don't leave them unattended and unlocked do you?

Wanted to go cause we saw it on CNBC, but wasn't mentioned on local T.V. Saw on local newspaper blog that there were big lines before 6am. We also got 4 inches of snow from 7am to noon, and I don't go anywhere until after the drive is shoveled cause I hate shoveling stuff that's been mashed down.

Al: I don't see any locks on those bikes. You don't leave them unattended and unlocked do you?

No, I carry a U-Lock in my back jersey pocket and DW carries a cable in her's. Here are the bikes locked outside of Denny's:

img_780181_0_efcfdce855a7751fb7bf3385966acf69.jpg

Man, you keep your rims nice and clean, as compared to that bike parked next to your bikes.

Was it really free? 40 miles biking, you probably burnt all 795 calories and then some, right? So you actually had to eat extra food to fuel your trip to Denny's.

This is a pretty awesome feat of frugality I must say. Not cheap, just frugal.

We tipped as if the breakfast cost the regular amount; we left a $2 tip.

Hmm. What's the cost of the gym membership T-Al & wife are saving? Reduced medical expense due to superior physical condition?

Additional funds required to fund the extension in longevity due to healthier living? But then we have to discount that by the benefits of higher quality of life and better health while still alive.

I propose we hire a management consultant to conduct a cost-benefit analysis to see how much this "free" breakfast really cost.

Or just call it $2 and save a few thousand in consultant fees.

More free publicity for Denny's. And you got fed in the process.

I can't imagine biking 20 miles and here I was feeling good that I finally walked 2 miles tonight. There is not a Denny's around here and I am certainly not going to be biking in this weather. It is 19 degrees out. We are supposed to warm up to a high of 39 tomorrow and in the 50's this weekend. WooHoo, I can't wait! You have some gorgeous scenery where you live.

T-Al - you are living a very interesting ER life, I must say! As for biking 20 miles - a 10 mile bike ride is what doctors say is equivalent to a 3-5 mile run - and as you can see by the time T-Al took took to do the ride, he did two days worth of cardio.

Awesome - thanks for sharing and excellent luck being the last two to get the GrandSlam. They don't do those types of breakfasts here in Europe unless you are at a swanky hotel that has a huge breakfast buffet, and pancakes are decidedly American---that's one thing many Americans miss over here, the American breakfasts one gets at a Denny's or a nice diner.

Last edited:
As for biking 20 miles - a 10 mile bike ride is what doctors say is equivalent to a 3-5 mile run - and as you can see by the time T-Al took took to do the ride, he did two days worth of cardio.
Technically they are good for 4 days then - 20 miles each way. Way to keep up the fitness, Al. I can only dream of biking in the midst of our sub-zero (-6 yesterday morning) weather. But 50s coming tomorrow!! And I finished my Fed and State taxes! Life is looking up.

Back
Top Bottom