How to get CDs out of the new CD cases?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is driving me up the wall. You know those new CD and DVD cases where the disc is held in real tight? How are you supposed to get the CD out without damaging it? The only way I can do it is to push hard on the center of the plastic in the center of the CD. This works, but frequently damages the CD case. Are you supposed to bend the CD out? Seems like that could break it. Thanks.

Yes, it's just another reason we'll all be buying downloads instead of disks in a few years....

I found a good solution to that problem. Don't buy them. I haven't bought a CD or DVD in over 5 years.

I haven't bought any in the past 5 years either, though I did get a free copy of MS Office 2007 from Microsoft a year or a year and a half ago (long story). I just re-installed it last night, and I didn't have any problem getting it out of the case - - just pushed firmly but not that hard directly downwards on the center and pulled upwards fairly gently from the edges of the disk at the same time. The case was lying open on a hardwood table, which helped. Or, maybe I was lucky.

Just getting the case open is a challenge, sometimes! I am sure that eventually CDs will be obsolete and this problem will go away also. Who knows - - maybe someday far in the future we'll get software on little thumb drives instead of CD's.

This is driving me up the wall. You know those new CD and DVD cases where the disc is held in real tight? How are you supposed to get the CD out without damaging it? The only way I can do it is to push hard on the center of the plastic in the center of the CD. This works, but frequently damages the CD case. Are you supposed to bend the CD out? Seems like that could break it. Thanks.
Push down with the thumb in the center while simultaneously pulling up at the edges. Works better when using both hands to pull. Case breakage has increased for me as well no matter what I do. Not designed for people that are arthritic, clumsy, or uncoordinated, or, for that matter, well-meaning, intelligent, friendly or members of early retirement forums. :)

Just more effort by the producers to confound the shoplifters and stimulate sales of spare cases.

I agree with those that reduce purchases in response.

I experimented with some I have around the house, some I own, one from Netflix and five from the library. The one's that have two little yin and yang circles in the middle are the best designs but thanks to Squirt's question I've finally learned their secret!: "Push Here!" Who knew. just kidding, there really is a knack to it. It seems to be best to have the open case on a solid flat surface, and well, push on both of them, they instantly glide up so you can grab the CD or DVD.

Second mystery addressed, why does Netflix send them out without cases? Ah ha!

I'm still working on Squirt's question about the newer type which has a depression in the circle (for the pressing) but no "push here" instructions, there are six little sections around the edges. So far, experimental results are better without the solid surface: just press in circle and bend case, the disk pops up enough to get at it.

Anyone care to comment about getting the cases out of the plastic shrink wrap without buying a special gadget for the job. ;)

When all else fails, there is the sledge hammer.

Thanks for all the replies so far. This is one of life's greatest mysteries, why they package something as fragile as a light bulb in that thin cardboard that you can easily tear, but CD's are in packages so tight. Maybe it was the same engineer who designed the black boxes for airplanes.

Just getting the case open is a challenge, sometimes!

I learned this secret for defeating the shrink wrap: Don't follow any "pull here to open" directions or use any tabs. Instead, place your thumbnail in the groove between the clear plastic front of the case, and the dark plastic rectangular area on the left. Slide up and down to cut the shrink wrap, then peel it off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom