bike pedals

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I have a bicycle that I want to switch pedals. The pedals that are on there have not been on long, they were put on by my bicycle mechanic. Anyway, I want to put the old ones back on but I can't get the new ones off.

I believe that I have the right tools. On one side goes a hex wrench. I have the proper size. The other side a number 15 metric wrench. But I can't turn either. Were they torqued down too hard? Am I missing something obvious? Am I a real woman or am I a wimp?

Left hand threads - you may be trying to turn them in the wrong direction. Once you figure which way just put the wrench on them, grit your teeth, and whack the wrench with a hammer. Watch out the wrench does not fly off - that is how the lady lost the wrench on the space station.

If I remember correctly, on bike pedals you always turn the wrench to the rear to loosen them. Am I right?

Yes, besides you may be able to verify that by looking to see if a thread or two are showing inside of the sprocket side of the crank. Got any penetrating oil (think your mentioned you Dad used WD 40 or Kerosene)? If you do soak them overnight with a rag wrapped about them to keep the PO working.

If I remember correctly, on bike pedals you always turn the wrench to the rear to loosen them. Am I right?

Yes. Since the right pedal has a right hand thread and the left pedal has a left hand thread you are correct. The ends of the threaded studs are usually stamped with an "R" and "L" or "RH" and "LH".

Ef. I just can't get them loose. Yeah, they are stamped "L" and "R."

Have you tried a bigger hammer?;)

My sister just said that I have to swear at it and throw it across the room before I can get the pedals off.

This is a common problem. The trick is getting things stabilized so that you can apply a lot of pressure. It's best to have the wrench and crank oriented so you can squeeze them together, but that's not always possible. You might need a second person to put his/her foot on the opposite pedal to keep things from moving.

Here are some links ("LBS" = "Local Bike Shop"):

Pedals too tight to remove (help!) - Bike Forums

Cannot remove pedals - Bike Forums

How to Remove Pedals on a Bicycle | Expert Village Videos

I'd try some penetrating oil on the threads - apply it from both sides and let it soak in over night. If that doesn't work a propane torch helps if you heat the crank around the pedal thread. (old paperboy)

Looks like a pedal wrench is going to be my new tool. I am a little afraid of the propane torch idea.

Looks like a pedal wrench is going to be my new tool. I am a little afraid of the propane torch idea.

I have a pedal wrench but I still had trouble getting mine off once. (It's not just you!)

I took it to my LBS (local bike shop) and the mechanic brought out a really big pedal wrench and got them off. My experience is that the mechanic will usually do this sort of stuff for free.

I decided that I will go down to the bike shop tomorrow. It is two blocks away. I'll have the guy take off my pedals and I'll probably get the wrench unless it is too pricey.

I am glad to hear that it isn't just my wimpitudiness.

LBS is your friend. Take some cookies. They like cookies

(I've done it)

To remove a really stubborn pedal, get a 3-4' length of pipe that barely fits over the wrench handle, positioned somewhat above horizontal, put a big guy at the end of the pipe. If 1000 ft-lbs of torque do not loosen the connection, you will probably need to replace the whole crank arm.

So I pushed and pushed and couldn't get the pedals loose. I walked the bike over to the shop through the snow. The mechanic gave one shove with his wrench and off they came. He nicely put on my other pedals too. Free even though I had no cookies.

No pedal wrenches in stock until spring. I'll get one then.

Back
Top Bottom