Window making creaking noises - how to fix?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our house was built in the 90s and has single hung, double paned windows. I think they're vinyl, not aluminimum.The top pane (non-movable) of one of the windows in the living room makes a creaky noise when the wind picks up, or if you press on the middle of the glass with your hand. Pressing on the frame itself doesn't cause the noise. Neither the bottom pane nor the other windows on that wall make any noise. See attached photo.

Does this noise mean the seal on the window has failed? We have not noticed any condensation on that window, but it's not very humid here. Is this something I can easily repair myself? Appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

• DSC00040.JPG
    DSC00040.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 3
No takers?

I'll venture to say that that there is nothing wrong with the double pane's seal. OTOH the grip of the vinyl frame may have relaxed some thus allowing the flexure (minute as it maybe) to make a noise within the vinyl channel of the frame.

I'm not sure there is a fix.

Having said that, you might try one double tube of two part epoxy syringe. apply a thin bead where the glass meets the vinyl frame all the way around on the side you least look at.

I think these syringe type epoxies come in a clear version. Try your favorite big box store.

Maybe more helpers will come out of the woodwork with better ideas.:)

This has nothing to do with your current problem however, it is something that happened to us. We have vinyl framed, double paned windows, that are relatively new (under 5 years old). We live in central Ohio and this winter very early in the morning I heard this terrific sound that sounded to me like a rifle shot hitting someplace. Later after daylight I looked around and saw that one of the windows was cracked (large long diagonally from the top right of the window to the lower left). The odd thing was that it was the inside pane not the outside one. There is no heating duct near that window so I discounted a thermo problem. Talking with the repair fellow he could offer no explanation - and this was in the movable section of the window. So maybe yours making the sound is "good" as it is moving and not stationary (which may cause the glass to break).

This may be off-point. Many years ago I lived in the lower unit of a duplex from the early 20s. The upper level had newer windows. Twice when the winds kicked up the same window blew out and broke over the fence. I took to calling the upper floor residents during storms to remind them to crack open a window to relieve the pressure.

Here's what I would do. Have someone press on the window to make it creak. Move your ear around the edges, and find out exactly where the creak is coming from. Spray WD-40 there and wipe off excess.

I'll bet there are just two surfaces that are rubbing against each other.

The thing about the noise is that it seems to be coming from the glass itself, or the contact between the glass and the lattice frame in between the two pieces of glass (is that even possible?). Noise is the same regardless of pressing on the inside or outside, however it is significantly louder when you press on the middle of the pane and almost inaudible when you press on the sides. So I can't tell that its coming from any particular side. I tried WD-40 on one side, it had no effect. I don't think the sound is being generated from the sides. I'm not convinced that expoy would solve the problem.

Here's a video of me pressing on the glass (you'll have to unzip it), trying to demonstrate how loud it is in the center versus pressing near the sides. The noise is a little higher pitched in real live, my cameraphone is not so great at video.

Attachments

• MOV00001.zip
    964.9 KB · Views: 7
The thing about the noise is that it seems to be coming from the glass itself, or the contact between the glass and the lattice frame in between the two pieces of glass (is that even possible?).
Listened to the noise.
Think you're right about the plastic lattice. If so, I would say replacement is the only option.:(

My initial look assumed the lattice was decorative on the inside surface, not internal to the double pane window.

Last edited:
I don't know, but here's my advice. Go to and auto parts store and get a tube of windshield silicone - it's very thin bodied and will flow into tiny gaps better than a heavier goop. Try talc to stop the squeak rather than WD40 - works for leather -to-leather squeaking in my BMW work truck.

I'd work more on isolating the source of the noise. If you can't tell with your ears exactly where it's coming from (get up close), then try holding some part of the vinyl while pushing. Or push in the center from the outside and the inside simultaneously to determine whether the sound happens even if the movement is isolated to one pane. In other words futz around.

In any case, I think you could build a good horror movie around that video.

Use a long piece of metal or wood dowel touching where you think the noise is coming from and then move it to the point the noise is loudest to locate the point that needs some lubrication. Could also use a stethoscope to do it with.

Back
Top Bottom