What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading "the Dorito Effect- The surprising new truth about food and Flavor" I'm not done with it yet, but so far its very interesting. I read something about it in a post on this site.

My 12 year old son's comment was pretty funny- "Noooo, not another book on nutrition! Mom, I love Doritos, please don't read that!"

The boy makes a good point.

Just finished "D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944". It's an excellent account of what D-Day in Normandy looked like from the other side. The German is perspective is terrifying, arrogant, humiliating for the German soldiers, a mass disaster for the Russians, and a conflict in alliances for the French. The stories are from German survivors circa 1955.

The Quantum World; Quantum Physics for Everyone.
If you have ever wondered what the science of quantum physics is about, but thought the educational background to get 'up-to-speed' so to speak was lacking or too daunting to tackle, then this book is for you.

I'm a sci-fi geek. I love anything science fiction. I've been in awe of how the authors of books, and creators of movies and TV shows have been so accurate in foretelling the future of scientific ideas into practical application. Reading this book now, for the the 3rd time, not because it's difficult to comprehend but because in this ever changing world, there's more to realize and apply, I am constantly amazed at the obvious intelligent design of the natural universe.

Skipro- you'd probably really like the book I'm starting, The Three Body Problem. It's Chinese sci-fi. Early in the book, the worlds smartest theoretical physicists find the laws of physics are not invariant across time and space, and start committing suicide.

Just finished yet another Robert B. Parker book, (this one from 1980); when I think there can't possibly be one I haven't read, I find another.....loved his pithy style, a lot said with an economy of words.

This one contained a line apropos to the now sadly defunct 'Class' thread:

Spenser says...."I am clearly not of your social class, but I am not without grace."

Just finished "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. The story of a blind French girl and a German boy and how their paths cross during WWII. I highly recommend.

+1

I'm now reading "Stella Bain", by Anita Shreve. I like her books.

I try to avoid self-help books but I have one to recommend: Amy Johnson's The Little Book of Big Change. It helps take control and change any bad habits. I've found the advice sane and practical.

I decided to reread a book I read about 10 years ago when it came out. It's "The Bronx is Burning," by Jonathan Mahler. It's about the summer of 1977 in New York City, a tumultuous time in the city in which several stories converged - a big Democratic primary for New York City mayor in the wake of its fiscal crisis; the endless newsmaking ability of the New York Yankees with the trio of owner George Steinbrenner, manager Billy Martin, and slugger Reggie Jackson; a power blackout that July; and the hunt and capture of Son of Sam serial killer David Berkowitz.

The book was turned into a made-for-TV miniseries on ESPN in 2007. Not surprisingly, it focused mainly on the Yankees.

Enjoying "Something to Remember Me By", short story by Saul Bellow. Like it. Reminds me of Roth. Will check out more Bellow. I've read all of Roth already.

I am currently reading The Adventure of English: the Biography of a Language, by Melvin Bragg. Published in 2011, it is based on the BBC series (which I have previously watched on YouTube). It is very engaging and a must read for all readers and students of English literature, as well as for grammar Nazis.

I am currently reading The Adventure of English: the Biography of a Language, by Melvin Bragg. Published in 2011, it is based on the BBC series (which I have previously watched on YouTube). It is very engaging and a must read for all readers and students of English literature, as well as for grammar Nazis.

You might also like this one, (if you haven't previously read it):

The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-688-07895-8.html

The Three Body Problem. It's Chinese sci-fi.

Just finished this and really enjoyed it. I'll not comment at all on the plot because it would spoil things for you, but it's a great book not only as sci-fi but also as a bit of a window into China during the Cultural Revolution as well as today. Very well done and extremely well translated.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQO403K/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

If you don't want to buy it, you should be able to find it locally. My little library here in flyover country had it.

'The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell.

H. Beam Piper's 1958 sci-fi novel "Lone Star Planet." As a Texan, I absolutely loved it - you might too, as the (tongue-in-cheek) basic premise involves "... a legal system that considers the killing of a practicing politician to be justifiable homicide." :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Beam_Piper

I read that back when I was approaching teenager-hood, same time I was reading Heinlein's novels. It helped make me the irascible, anti-authoritarian, libertarian a-hole that I am. Good stuff.

DW and I have enjoyed the Vera series on TV. These were adaptations of Ann Cleeves books. So it was easy to check out her books and this is the first of hers I have read, Harbor Street: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=digital-text&field-keywords=harbor+street

The writing style seems to make this book flow naturally. I'll be reading more Ann Cleeves books.

As the snow falls thickly on Newcastle, the shouts and laughter of Christmas revelers break the muffled silence. Detective Joe Ashworth and his daughter Jessie are swept along in the jostling crowd onto the Metro.

But when the train is stopped due to the bad weather, and the other passengers fade into the swirling snow, Jessie notices that one lady hasn't left the train: Margaret Krukowski has been fatally stabbed.

Arriving at the scene, DI Vera Stanhope is relieved to have an excuse to escape the holiday festivities. As she stands on the silent, snow-covered station platform, Vera feels a familiar buzz of anticipation, sensing that this will be a complex and unusual case.

DW and I have enjoyed the Vera series on TV. These were adaptations of Ann Cleeves books. So it was easy to check out her books and this is the first of hers I have read, Harbor Street: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=digital-text&field-keywords=harbor+street

The writing style seems to make this book flow naturally. I'll be reading more Ann Cleeves books.

We listened to this during a road trip (one of those "let's drive around for fifteen more minutes and listen further" books). When we saw the tv adaptation, which we also loved, I believe the ending was changed. So like two stories in one!

I just finished the Irish Country Doctor series by Patrick Taylor- definitely light reading but fun. It reminded me of All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot, only the Irish series was (obviously) about an Irish doctor instead of a British Vet. Good series, I loved it at the beginning, but was getting a bit tired of it by book 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom