9 Hour Layover in Atlanta - Suggestions?

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm flying to Ecuador in June and will have a 9 hour layover in Atlanta, on a Saturday. I did this to save $$$ on airfare.

Does anyone have a suggestion for killing that time? I'm thinking maybe I can park our luggage in a rental locker and take public transportation to a local attraction and a leisurely lunch.

Thanks in advance for destination / transportation suggestions.

I've been to Atlanta many times but the next time I go I will visit the new aquarium. I think it was built by some billionaire and is one of the largest in the world. I've seen pictures of people walking in large glass tubes that are under the water, so the fish are swimming above you. I'd check that out. Don't know the name of it. Good public transportation in Atlanta via the Metro trains right from the Airport.

I've been to Atlanta many times but the next time I go I will visit the new aquarium. I think it was built by some billionaire and is one of the largest in the world. I've seen pictures of people walking in large glass tubes that are under the water, so the fish are swimming above you. I'd check that out. Don't know the name of it. Good public transportation in Atlanta via the Metro trains right from the Airport.

I'm not absolutely sure about this but you may want to check on lockers being available? They were removed from my local airport. I think it had to do with the possibility of hidden explosives in them.
A lot changed at airports over the last few years.
Steve

I'm not absolutely sure about this but you may want to check on lockers being available? They were removed from my local airport. I think it had to do with the possibility of hidden explosives in them.
A lot changed at airports over the last few years.
Steve

On occasion, I've stored belongings at the airport UPS store. You might want to call to verify.

Marta to CNN Center - take a tour, see the fish, see the world of Coke and Pink Pony

Thanks, good suggestions so far. I did check on the ATL website and one can leave luggage at the luggage Wrap Up store, but no longer at the lockers due to security risk.

My worst fear is getting in Atlanta and not being able to get back in time due to..... :confused:

On the other hand, 9 hours in an airport is :yuk:

I often have long layovers in JFK and ATL. I do not like to leave the airport's premises because I am afraid I won't make it back in time for my next flight. But I used to be an avid plane spotter, so I usually find myself a seat in the terminal with a good view of the runways and watch the planes land and take off. If the layover is particularly long, I might also grab a bite to eat, surf the web, listen to music, read, or just walk around.

Especially at Atlanta. The surliest, can't-be-bothered-to-assist-you bunch of employees at any airport I've seen. Charlotte, just up the road, is so much nicer.

Sorry, no tips concerning what to do. I'd bring a book and enjoy the time to read. If I recall correctly, there's no free wi-fi at Atlanta Airport (maybe the bars or Starbucks have wi-fi).

Especially at Atlanta. The surliest, can't-be-bothered-to-assist-you bunch of employees at any airport I've seen. Charlotte, just up the road, is so much nicer.

I second that. A real shame.

Sorry, no tips concerning what to do. I'd bring a book and enjoy the time to read. If I recall correctly, there's no free wi-fi at Atlanta Airport (maybe the bars or Starbucks have wi-fi).

Correct, Atlanta does not have free wi-fi. To surf the web, you'll either have to pay a few $$$ for a day pass or bring an AirCard. I personally use my iphone to surf the web while I am on the go but, last time I was at Hartsfield, the 3G connection was very slow and spotty.

I was going to suggest a cheap air mattress and a good book.

If there's a decent restaurant at an airport hotel you could go there for a meal on their free shuttle. Pick a hotel with free wifi?

I'd be too scared of the stories of horrible Atlanta traffic to go very far away - but not because of any firsthand knowledge.

Went through Dallas/Fort Worth last week - there were a dozen cots stacked against a wall at our gate - a couple of them set up.

Come to think of it - near that DFW gate there was a free internet/charging station. Even a few free computer stations for going online.

Go to the aquarium, you can get there and back w/a good tour in less than 4 hours. That gives you plenty of fudge time to make your flight. The titanic exhibition is currently there which seems to be pretty cool and spooky. Saturdays in May and Sept there is a free concert in downtown Decatur, which you can take the MARTA Train to, the concert is right above the underground MARTA station, lots of fun and friendly people, several nearby good bars/restaurants including Brick Store Pub which is one of the most highly rated pubs in the US. Concert starts about 7ish.

hmm rental car? And after aquarium a stop at the original chic fil a 461 N Central Ave
Atlanta, GA 30354 right near the airport perimiter. Authentic "diner" and fresh georgia peach cobler...

Stone Mountain isn't that far away, and the views are nice.

I'd put up a post offering to meet any forum members in the Atlanta area to meet you for lunch, and make it fun. Of course, it may cost you a little liquor money......:)

I'd put up a post offering to meet any forum members in the Atlanta area to meet you for lunch, and make it fun. Of course, it may cost you a little liquor money......:)

What? And let them find out I'm really a 12 year old girl from Iceland? :D

Seriously, though, I really appreciate all the suggestions.

My worst fear is getting in Atlanta and not being able to get back in time due to..... :confused:

Are you travelling business class? Or can you buy a one time entry to one of the business lounges? At least you could relax in comfort and check the forum!

Are you traveling business class? Or can you buy a one time entry to one of the business lounges? At least you could relax in comfort and check the forum!

No business class - just cargo-with-an-attitude class. :LOL:

I didn't realize one could buy a one time entry to the lounge, but that might be the ticket. I even thought of booking a room near the airport through Priceline but the 9 AM to 6 PM time frame makes that kinda sticky.

I'd worry too much about missing my flight to Ecuador. Also, I'm not sure I'd want a really busy tourist day, followed by a red-eye to S. America, where you're dumped out at 10,000 feet. Unless, of course, you're flying in to Guyaquil and not Quito.

If you do leave the airport, I'd take the light rail. Forget the rental cars -- by the time you get your bags, get a car, get out of the airport, get somewhere, do your thing, get back to the aiport, turn the car back in, get through check-in, you've probably used up 10 hours. Oops.

Have fun in Ecuador. Have you been there before? You can PM me for suggestions if you like.

I'd worry too much about missing my flight to Ecuador. Also, I'm not sure I'd want a really busy tourist day, followed by a red-eye to S. America, where you're dumped out at 10,000 feet. Unless, of course, you're flying in to Guyaquil and not Quito.

.......:er: .......

Good point, we will be flying into Quito. Actually a long nap is starting to sound good right now.

Just don't tell your cardiologist

Catch a cab or whatever to The Varsity. It's the largest drive in fast food joint in the world, but I always preferred to eat inside when I lived in Atlanta.

At the time (I don't know about now), all the buns for the burgers and hot dogs were baked that morning for the lunch hour, so they were the freshest I've ever had. My favorites were the chili cheese dog, the cheeseburger, the onion rings (made from sweet Vidalia onions), and the fried pies (fried on the premises from fresh fruit an hour before you eat them).

Warning: Be ready to order when you are at the front of the line and it's your turn -- the pressure is on! You'll see what I mean.

A friend of mine uses the following approach when stuck with a long layover during the day: Find a nice hotel attached to (or, close to with shuttle) to the airport and offer someone at the front desk a nominal amount ($10-25 I think) for a room that had already been vacated but not yet made up. (Or, ask them how much they would take for such a room.)

He used the room to change clothes, store luggage, etc. (sometimes showered) and spent most of layover lounging/napping by pool. He did not always get a bite on his offer; but, apparently did more times than not. And, when it worked, this was much nicer than airport lounge. (He sometimes even got a clean room for his efforts.)

I haven't had a long layover during the day for quite some time; but, I am definitely planning to give this a whirl the next time I am stuck somewhere for several hours.

Good luck.

Here is what I decided to do

Neat trick, but I'd never get DW to stay in a "used" room. :rolleyes:

I decided that given the flight is long and the altitude high in Quito, that we should just rest as much as possible. The side trip suggestions were great, but I'll leave those for another time.

I went to Priceline and booked a room for two nights at the Doubletree Hotel for $40 a night + tax, so this is about the same cost as a one day pass X 2 to an airport lounge.

This way we'll only be 1 mile off the airport premises, but will have a quiet place to rest and store our luggage. We saved about $500 on airfare by taking this long layover, so I still feel like I'm money ahead.

Boston for scrod

Somewhat off topic, but a friend had a similar layover in Boston, and he was advised to go out and get a dish of immature cod (called scrod). So he de-planes, goes out to the cab-stand, gets in, and tells the cabbie, "take me somewhere I can get scrod."

The driver turned around, grinned, and said, "buddy, I've been asked that question a million times, but never in the pluperfect subjunctive!":nonono:

Back
Top Bottom