FIREd!

The error here, IMO, is that retiring is never a mistake.:rolleyes:

No problemo, that part of the world has some pretty famous jails, I've heard, no cash required and they will take care of the "what to do today" question.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with an opportunistic crime like this is that the culprits simply reacted -- they didn't have time to think it through. They will go down.

The problem with an opportunistic crime like this is that the culprits simply reacted -- they didn't have time to think it through. They will go down.
In all the stories I've heard like this, I don't know of a single substantial bank error that was not eventually figured out and reversed. Yet some people take the money and spend it as if they won't be found out.

If they had the passports handy, I hear there are a few South American countries that would be glad to let them be there forever!

If they had the passports handy, I hear there are a few South American countries that would be glad to let them be there forever!

for $6 million, I'd let them stay in my country!

Withdrew "some of the money?" Like how much? I'd not chance it unless it was several million+.

In all the stories I've heard like this, I don't know of a single substantial bank error that was not eventually figured out and reversed.

I hope you realize the error of your logic here, Ziggy. If the bank error were not figured out, you wouldn't know about it.

I had a bank error in my favor for a few hundred bucks close to 10 years ago. It was a counter deposit from a few counties over into my account. They never found out, and I accidentally forgot to notify anyone.

I had a bank error in my favor for a few hundred bucks close to 10 years ago. It was a counter deposit from a few counties over into my account. They never found out, and I accidentally forgot to notify anyone.
OMG, your post just popped up on a Google search. Good luck with that, lam.:LOL:

OMG, your post just popped up on a Google search. Good luck with that, lam.:LOL:

Well, I lie half the time and I don't tell the truth the rest of the time. The statute of limitations has ran. And the money is still there, plus interest, if they ever want it. I'm not trying to abscond with it. Yet.

Just remember the real criminals are never caught, like Milton from Office Space. The most I have ever gotten double credited for was $40 in a stock reinvestment plan that I found 2 years later.

After I cancelled my Verizon cell service, I noticed that a credit I asked for in my last month of service has mistakenly become recurring. So now every month I get a new "bill" from Verizon telling me that my credit balance is $30 or so higher than last time.

I suppose I really should tell them to stop, but I am curious what would happen if I requested a check.

Some folks know how to take advantage of a sudden windfall. I'm guessing there were no "just one more year" or "but what will we DO all day?" conversations around the dinner table...
My FIL worked a career that involved huge hours of union overtime. One day the foreman was distributing checks among the crew and handed him a check that had two digits too many. He calmly folded it away in his wallet and that night had one of those "What do we do NOW?!?" conversations with his spouse.

It turns out that the computer had added up all the overtime checks of all the employees and put the total opposite my FIL's name. The accountants were waiting for him bright & early the next morning with a replacement (negotiable) check.

There was some discussion about framing a copy of the check and hanging it on the shop wall but they felt that it'd be unwise to taunt management so publicly...

Personally, I don't think it would be worth $6,100,000 to have to:

(1) leave the country and live somewhere I have no desire to live;
(2) sever all my ties with everyone I have ever met; and
(3) have to establish a new identity somehow, and even give up my name! (though, I suppose that instead of "Want2retire Jones" maybe "Dying2retire Smith" would be an interesting change).
(4) continually be afraid and looking over my shoulder, wondering when I would get caught.

I had about 75,000 erroneously deposited into my account back around 1990. That was back when I was young, not making much money, and 75K would buy a lot of stuff. I noticed it when I got some money out of the ATM. I checked my balance daily to see what, if anything, would happen to the money. It disappeared after about three days. I didn't take any of the money, but I did leave an ATM receipt in plain view when I went on a date. I discovered I was much more attractive with 75K in my checking account.

Back
Top Bottom