Taco Bell

clifp

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
[MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was split from the Propane Cheat! thread for obvious reasons.]

Which would be fine if they cut the price by nearly 25% to reflect the fact that it contains 25% less than the previous 8-ouncers...

Clearly you never were in marketing. You should pay more for 6 oz container of yogurt than an 8 oz, because it is healthier since it contains 25% less calories.:LOL:

I noticed that Taco Bell has a Fresco line of "healthy" food. From what I can tell there is no difference between a Fresco taco and regular taco supreme except they remove the cheese and sour creme and charge more. Pure genius.

I noticed that Taco Bell has a Fresco line of "healthy" food. From what I can tell there is no difference between a Fresco taco and regular taco supreme except they remove the cheese and sour creme and charge more. Pure genius.

I think they take off the grated cheese and (if applicable) the cheese or other sauce. Then they add pico de gallo (seasoned tomatoes and onions w/ cilantro). The cost of the food (to taco bell) may be similar or slightly less al fresco style.

Surprisingly I don't thing they charge anything extra to al fresco it.

I think they take off the grated cheese and (if applicable) the cheese or other sauce. Then they add pico de gallo (seasoned tomatoes and onions w/ cilantro). The cost of the food (to taco bell) may be similar or slightly less al fresco style.

And, the Al Fresco versions don't taste bad. For quick grab-and-go fast food, it's one of the better choices out there, IMO.

Off the subject: IMO, Taco Bell employees are the strangest cast in the fast food biz. More piercings, bizarre hairdos, funky attitudes, etc. It does make me wonder what goes on when they prepare the food.

And, the Al Fresco versions don't taste bad. For quick grab-and-go fast food, it's one of the better choices out there, IMO.

Off the subject: IMO, Taco Bell employees are the strangest cast in the fast food biz. More piercings, bizarre hairdos, funky attitudes, etc. It does make me wonder what goes on when they prepare the food.
TB is one of my few fast food choices.
We were just there on Saturday. We ordered the Volcano Box ( 1 burrito, 2 tacos, cinnamon crispies, drink) to split. I asked for the volcano sauce (included) to be delivered on the side, i.e. not any on the food at all. I wanted to see just how "seriously spicy" it was.
We were charged for 2 extra sauces, and when dh2b protested, the cashier just said "We have to charge for extra sauce. Have a nice day, sir." So we chalked it up and proceeded to our table.
Not 5 minutes later the Asst Manager is at our table, apologizing all over the place and gave us a cash refund on the extra sauce sides. She even offered us a relacement meal, but we said, no, we're all set.
The volcano sauce was very good BTW. I think it is mayonnaise based. It had a little kick and some minor afterburn. For the serious hot chilehead, it would be considered mild. :D

Off the subject: IMO, Taco Bell employees are the strangest cast in the fast food biz. More piercings, bizarre hairdos, funky attitudes, etc.
This might be another one of those "depends where you live" things. Most of the Taco Bell employees around here speak little English and hail from Mexico, Guatemala, etc. But, that's the case in almost all of the fast food places - except for Chic-Fil-A which almost exclusively is staffed by local high school kids.

This might be another one of those "depends where you live" things. Most of the Taco Bell employees around here speak little English and hail from Mexico, Guatemala, etc. But, that's the case in almost all of the fast food places - except for Chic-Fil-A which almost exclusively is staffed by local high school kids.
Most of our town's Taco Bell employees look fairly "normal" and somewhat representative of the community. I suppose that's because we don't really have a heck of a lot of jobs in town, so even fast food joints don't have to take the rather, umm, eclectic applicants.

I'm glad taco bell got a thread of its own, as it should.

At the closest taco bell, there was an employee we nicknamed "the Tude" because of the attitude she had with everyone. Instead of hello may I help you, it was "What you want?" We stopped going to that taco bell and instead drive a minute or two further to get to a far superior taco bell.

We call it "Taco Hell" around here. Funny little story, I used to work with a Hispanic guy who was a total hoot. One day another coworker came around taking orders for Taco Bell. He asked Juan (real name) if he wanted anything, and Juan said:

"Taco Bell? Are you kidding me? They're an insult to my ancestors"!! :)

Taco Bell is to Mexican food as Chef Boyardee is to Italian cuisine.

How bout Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns, plus ANY frozen pizza, to Italian Cuisine?

I dated a 100% Sicilian girl in college, and her pizza was awesome, thin crust, fresh ingredients, etc.......:D

How bout Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns, plus ANY frozen pizza, to Italian Cuisine?

I dated a 100% Sicilian girl in college, and her pizza was awesome, thin crust, fresh ingredients, etc.......:D

Haven't heard those euphamisms before...

I own a cookbook entitled "Italy the Beautiful". The recipes bear very little resemblance to food served in the Italian-American restaurants that abound in my local area. The pasta is common, of course, but the sauces and combos of ingredients in my cookbook are just amazing. This is a very fun cookbook to experiment with. :D

Once knew a guy who relocated from the keystone state to Texas. For years he would not eat Mexican or Tex-Mex food -- wouldn't even go into any place that served it. It took two or three years to find out why.

One of the first things he did when he got here was to try "Mexican" food one and only one time, and he hated it with a passion. The one place he tried -- Taco Bell. We finally got him straightened out and it turns out that he liked Tex-Mex food, just not Taco Bell.

I did say pizza.........SHE was as spicy as a volcano pepper. She actually had an Uncle Guido, if you can believe that...........I am so glad she was NOT a stalker.........:blink:

I did say pizza.........SHE was as spicy as a volcano pepper. She actually had an Uncle Guido, if you can believe that...........I am so glad she was NOT a stalker.........:blink:

This thread is useless without pics...

Both Mexico and Italy have tons of regional differences in terms of "cuisine".

This thread is useless without pics...

Both Mexico and Italy have tons of regional differences in terms of "cuisine".

I think that if I still had pics of any of my girlfriends before DW, she would have destroyed all evidence by now.......;)

I do have a pic of DW and I from about 20 years ago, maybe I should post that.......:)

We call it "Taco Hell" around here. Funny little story, I used to work with a Hispanic guy who was a total hoot. One day another coworker came around taking orders for Taco Bell. He asked Juan (real name) if he wanted anything, and Juan said:

"Taco Bell? Are you kidding me? They're an insult to my ancestors"!! :)

Funny thing, I've seen Hispanic customers in the restaurant. Of course they may be American born citizens and never been to Mexico. Doubt it though.:-\

Well TB franchises are independently operated, so prices vary. In Hawaii both of the Taco Bells I go to charge $.10 to $.20 more for the al fresco versions.
And they never have the buy one get a 2nd one free coupons, so the actually cost is way higher for coupon clipper like myself. :mad:

I agree the do taste pretty good. Hawaii has many fine restaurants, but only one good Mexican one. (I grew up in LA) So TB is actually above average for Mexican food :sick:

Man, you must've been waiting months for that setup...

Our local Taco Bell cashier just started charging 50 cents for the salsa on the taco salad instead of allowing us to substitute it for the ranch dressing. Apparently the "rancho" dressing is standard and the salsa is "extra". I offered to sell him back the little packet of dressing for 45 cents but he must not have covered that topic in his raining.

I agree the do taste pretty good. Hawaii has many fine restaurants, but only one good Mexican one. (I grew up in LA) So TB is actually above average for Mexican food :sick:
So would that be El Palenque, in the epicenter of that hotbed of fine Mexican cuisine in downtown Wahiawa? Because if there's another good Mexican restaurant on Oahu, I'm ready to try it!

It's not just the employees at Taco Bell that give pause. Dh and I ran in for a quick Taco snack at lunch last Saturday. I sat down at a booth facing a man about 50. He was very disheveled, had a dirty bookbag sitting on his table and ate with his mouth open and food kept falling out of his mouth. I had to move to another seat. My DH saw that I had moved and asked why. When I told him, he glanced over and he recognized the guy as a NASA rocket propulsion scientist that he had worked with. My bad!

To me a real taco is a soft tortilla containing mainly cabbage and marinated pork, but that doesn't detract from being able to appreciate a good Taco Bell meal every once in awhile.

Some people go to China on vacation, order authentic food, and are disappointed in how much fat is on the meat or that the veggies aren't the same etc. I don't think it's a matter of authenticity to determine goodness.

Some people go to China on vacation, order authentic food, and are disappointed in how much fat is on the meat or that the veggies aren't the same etc. I don't think it's a matter of authenticity to determine goodness.
Had some scallops with bok choy in Chinatown yesterday, looked like an authentic old time joint, loved the atmosphere, maybe I do like touristy spots.:) The scallops were perfect but the bok choy was a tad tough; when it is done right, it is tender and sublime! I'll have to go back to that other hole-in-the wall place.

Back
Top Bottom