Financial newsletters

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I always enjoy reading some of the predictions and advice found in financial newsletters. I don't subscribe to any of them, preferring to get (and usually ignore) an occasional summary from the Hulbert Financial Digest information column at Marketwatch.com.

This one appears especially interesting. It is excerpted from Arch Crawford's "Crawford Perspectives", which Hulbert says was not only last year's top performer, but..
Over the past three years, the letter has achieved a 6.22% annualized gain, compared to negative 8.18% annualized for the total return Wilshire 5000.
From the June 1 newsletter:
We thus consider that the market remains in strong hands, and more upside is in store before a potential late summer reversal is activated. Despite some considerable momentum loss, we expect two or more further spikes in later weeks before bad news, or fearful sellers overwhelm the positive momentum.
In addition:
Even if the major indices were to form only a slightly extended 'flat' trading range, there could be some very interesting pops in individual issues. What happens is that those groups who tend to promote certain stocks or stock groups will then notice that the Market is beginning to Roll Over, and hurry to 'BULL' their own favorites before things begin to fall apart more obviously. Although this is usually taken by the public as "new strength,' it is actually a 'last ditch' effort of traders to get their profits out before a more serious weakness sets in! This is generally the process that causes tops to form slow, rolling patterns of distribution as opposed to 'panic' or 'V' bottoms
Sounds logical to me.

He's also bearish on the future of the dollar. His reasons?
Several of our creditor nations have already breathed fire on us, even very recently. They are justified in their concern for the viability of their investments. Our Congress, our Treasury and the Fed have been profligate, careless and corrupt in allowing known dangers to threaten our fiscal health and safety, including presidential aspirations
Familiar stuff. Then he adds this to his reasoning for his dim view of the dollar:
Many astrologers believe that when Pluto transits in opposition to the United States birth Venus position at 3 degrees of Cancer, which began this past March and continues crisscrossing it for the next 3-4 years, that the dollar will fall into disrepute and suffer a hyperinflation worthy of a Third World country.
And for you DMT types, he throws in a warning that June 7 is a full moon so we should look for a down week in the market.

This from the guy who was the best market prognosticator of 2008. Where do I subscribe? :cool:

My boss read me this piece and we howled over it. Very funny stuff.

Today the best news story was that Jim Rogers said that young investment bankers should become farmers instead. Farming is the future. Stockbrokers driving tractors, farmers driving luxury cars.

Today the best news story was that Jim Rogers said that young investment bankers should become farmers instead. Farming is the future. Stockbrokers driving tractors, farmers driving luxury cars.
Not surprised. Rogers has been ga-ga over commodities for quite a while now.

Research has been done on relationships between solar flares and human behavior (as well as market performance). Not sure about planets and moons though.

Back
Top Bottom