spontaneous carotid artery dissections

piano88

Recycles dryer sheets
I have had two of these---first was 5 years ago, the second one was 2 years ago. Aorta has been checked and cleared---no problem. Did genetic tests and do not have a connective tissue disorder.

Have any of you had this? Thanks.

Piano

I've seen just a couple of cases. One was in a man who was traveling and had to run across Heathrow airport with a heavy duffle which he carried by slinging the strap across his shoulder, and then running for 20 minutes with that thing bouncing down on his upper neck. He presented with neurogical findings.

Sounds congenital in your case. By any chance are you unusually tall and thin, with long arms (I'm not joking here)?

Thanks, Rich. Both occurences were following very intense exercise...so, I've obviously learned to moderate my activity. Am 6 ft 2 in...and a bit overweight. They tested specifically for Marfan's and this was negative. I'm trying to figure out how to get back into an exercise program without worrying constantly about blowing out an artery again...Couldn't dare face my neurologist with another episode!

I am not sure it's the exertion so much as particular positions and exercises, esp those that stretch the trapezius or neck. This is not an area I am expert in, but you might ask him/her about that.

carotid

Thanks, Rich...I appreciate it. I will check on this.

Sounds congenital in your case. By any chance are you unusually tall and thin, with long arms (I'm not joking here)?

Why does being tall and thin increase your chances of this? I'm 6'6" 162lbs with a wing span of 80 inches.

Why does being tall and thin increase your chances of this? I'm 6'6" 162lbs with a wing span of 80 inches.
There's a congential condition called Marfan's Syndrome (thing Abe Lincoln) that is associated with tearing injury of the large blood vessels. It is characteriazed by unusual body habitus: tall, thin, long arms and fingers, dislocated ocular lenses, thin chest wall, and other anomalies.

Ask your doctor about it given your numbers above. Not a cause for alarm, but it might help in planning preventive vigilance.

There's a congential condition called Marfan's Syndrome (thing Abe Lincoln) that is associated with tearing injury of the large blood vessels. It is characteriazed by unusual body habitus: tall, thin, long arms and fingers, dislocated ocular lenses, thin chest wall, and other anomalies.

Ask your doctor about it given your numbers above. Not a cause for alarm, but it might help in planning preventive vigilance.

After doing a little research on Marfan's Syndrome it looks like I should probably ask about it next time i'm at the doctors office. I have minor pectus excavatum, thin wrists, flat feet, pain in joints and muscles, and astigmatism which are all possible signs of Marfan's Syndrome. On top of that, it is passed on by a parent and my dad has even more of the signs than I have. I'll have to ask him about it too. Thanks for the info Rich.

So what "happens" when this "happens?" Sounds pretty scary.
------------
The first time I did temporarily lose function in my left eye and mouth...like a Bell's Palsy. All restored with blood thinner. No surgery. Second time didn't have these symptoms, but when exercising had a sharp pain and "white out". These are all stroke like symptoms...but...I the only residual effects have been in my left eye, which is now a bit smaller than my right, and opens and closes a little slower...very hard to notice if I didn't point it out. I am very lucky!

Back
Top Bottom