No mo' aloha for you!

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Must be a slow news day in Paradise:
StarBulletin.com - Mobile Edition

With dogged determination, the group that successfully fought to ban billboards in Hawaii has set its sights on a new, alleged offender: the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.
The Outdoor Circle claims the 27-foot-long hot dog icon is merely a billboard on wheels.
"It's something that would detract from Hawaii's unique beauty and lower the quality of life for our residents," said Bob Loy, director of the organization's environmental programs. "It's the same reason we don't have billboards on our roads. It's an extension of that."
The Outdoor Circle says the Wienermobile violates a 2006 law banning vehicular advertising because, unlike delivery trucks, its primary purpose is to promote a product.

Wow, talk about memories from childhood. I haven't even thought about the Outdoor Circle for 30 years and had completely forgotten about it. Several of my mother's friends belonged. Maybe my mother did, too.

As for the wienermobile, I think it is a billboard on wheels! Off with their heads! You can tell that I'm from the area because I could easily get all fired up about something that stupid. :2funny:

Wow, talk about memories from childhood. I haven't even thought about the Outdoor Circle for 30 years and had completely forgotten about it. Several of my mother's friends belonged. Maybe my mother did, too.

As for the wienermobile, I think it is a billboard on wheels! Off with their heads! You can tell that I'm from the area because I could easily get all fired up about something that stupid. :2funny:

Some of this junk can make you long for a place like Paraguay. Or a long drive on roads with See Rock City signs, or 697 miles to Harold's Club Reno, or a 1000 reasons to use Burma Shave.

I wish we could get some cracker with a backhoe and bulldozer to dig a big hole and fill it with environmentalists.

PS- Don't out me to my neighbors.

Ha

Did the OC complain when the SPAM-Mobile shows up? Or would that be a politically incorrect view, given Hawaiian's love of everything SPAMmy?

spammobile.jpg

Hmmmm, now here's an interesting mobile that can drive down my freeway any day!

IMG_0246.jpg

What would they do about the Goodyear blimp?

Attachments

• aa french.jpg
    aa french.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
But, but, but if you eat a dozen weenies a day, and you die of morbid obesity, do you commit suicide, or do the weenies kill you?

You would say suicide and I agree with you, but there are people who will sue the weenies just as they sue McDonald.

But, but, but if you eat a dozen weenies a day, and you die of morbid obesity, do you commit suicide, or do the weenies kill you?

You would say suicide and I agree with you, but there are people who will sue the weenies just as they sue McDonald.
Yeah, there would probably be a weenie class action lawsuit. I'm sure the grievances would grow as Vienna sausages and bratwurst would be added. Oh..........the horror.....:eek:

If you don't sue your weenies, who, er what do you sue?

Hmm, there is something not sounding quite right about my post, but I cannot place it.

Did the OC complain when the SPAM-Mobile shows up? Or would that be a politically incorrect view, given Hawaiian's love of everything SPAMmy?
Good question. After all, that's Spam and not weiners!

The Spammobile was here a couple times, last in 2006, but the vehicle-ad law was passed that year.

The sordid side of the story is that the vehicle-ad law was probably passed to shut down the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, which was driving trucks around Waikiki wrapped with anti-abortion ads showing pictures of aborted fetuses. Raised quite a ruckus, almost as much as their lawsuit to fly sign-towing planes off the beach with the same sort of campaign. They took the FAA and Hawaii all the way to the Supreme Court and lost.
starbulletin.com | News | /2006/12/05/

What would they do about the Goodyear blimp?
Yeah, I guess the airplane-ad law would "shoot" that down too. I wonder how the blimp does in 15-25 knot tradewinds...

Hmmmm, now here's an interesting mobile that can drive down my freeway any day!
Yikes, I'd hate to have that staring into my rearview mirror!

Depends on whether it's a headwind or a tailwind...and I assume the following numbers are air speed, not ground speed:
Not much margin for error, and it doesn't mention whether the gondola is water-tight or even buoyant...

I guess it'd be easier to just do a two-point moor to the upper deck of Aloha Stadium.

Back
Top Bottom