What ER is too high for International?

dougie790

Dryer sheet aficionado
What ER is too high for an international fund. We have in our 401k Thornburg International Value R3 with an ER of 1.45%. It has had good returns in the past but I am unsure if that high of an ER is worth it, especially considering my 500 Index fund ER is 0.09% (VIFSX). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

That's too high for me. If you can buy any fund, then compare to what you can buy. It looks like anything above 0.5% is too high. See the "here" links at DFA vs. Vanguard for expense ratios of many worthy funds.

It seems one should always compare to the Vanguard fund in the asset class that you are looking at. VEU has an expense ratio of around 0.2%. So that's another upper limit to shoot for.

I agree with LOL. Stick to the VIFSX in your 401k. If you want International buy VEU or its MF equivalent in your IRA or in a taxable account. 1.45% is just too much drag to overcome.

DD

Ditto. Is there an echo? :) Shoot for under 0.5%, since you can get most flavors of international investments for somewhere in the 0.2-0.5% ER range. Maybe go a little higher if you are constrained on the ability to invest in international elsewhere. 1.5% for international vs. 0.1% for SP500 would probably make me be 100% SP500 if those were my only choices since I doubt I could beat the 1.4% expense drag by diversification/rebalancing/risk reduction in international.

I'm stuck with virtually this same choice in my HSA - 1.5% for anything besides SP500, and 0.4% for the SP500 index fund. So I'm 100% SP500 in the HSA, and get my international, small cap, etc. elsewhere in IRA, 401k, taxable, etc.

What ER is too high for an international fund. We have in our 401k Thornburg International Value R3 with an ER of 1.45%. It has had good returns in the past but I am unsure if that high of an ER is worth it, especially considering my 500 Index fund ER is 0.09% (VIFSX). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

I wish we could get ERs like that in Canada! In the US you have the advantage of size. However I expect ERs in the US to rise in the next few years due to tighter securities regulation and reporting requirements.

Can you not purchase Vanguard ETFs through a TDWaterhouse.ca brokerage?

Back
Top Bottom