Taking Advantage of What D.C. Has to Offer

grumpy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I have been taking advantage of what D.C. has to offer lately.

Two weeks ago we went with a group from our community to the Newseum. A very interesting place. My favorite exhibit was of all of the Pulitzer Prize winning photographs since the inception of the prize. It also included a film with the photographers explaining the circumstances in which they made the shots.

Today we went with a similar group for a tour of the US Capitol. We were delayed in the visitor's center due to extra security precautions. We were 25 feet away when Nancy Pelosi greeted the Dali Lama on his arrival! We also toured the Library of Congress - a very impressive building.

We have lived in the D.C. area (first in Maryland, now in Virginia) for 40 years and we now finally have the time to take advantage of all of the great things to do and see here.

We lived in the Baltimore-Washington area several times. Laurel, MD 1968-1969. Silver Spring, MD 1976-1979 and 1984-1989. Catonsville, MD (Baltimore County) 1992-2005. There is an incredible amount of stuff to do there, much of it free due to the fact that the various Smithsonian museums are paid for with tax dollars. Same goes for the military band concerts, the big extravaganzas on the Mall on July 4th, some things at the Kennedy Center, etc. I'm frankly glad to be away from the traffic and congestion there, but during our many years in that area we took max advantage of everything. And don't be afraid to drive north to Baltimore. Ft. McHenry, the Edgar Allen Poe House, Baltimore Museum of Art, and lots other things. (Unfortunately, E. Baltimore St. isn't quite what it used to be, but I don't suppose that ever would have counted as "cultural." )

There is enough to see in D.C., to keep you busy for the rest of your life. Glad you are enjoying it!

Someday I do want to take a couple of weeks to see some of the Smithsonian.

The Mall is a cool place, at least during the daytime hours. I used to go to w*rk related conferences there almost every year. I would arrange to fly down super early on a Sunday, get to my hotel, and run right out and take the Metro to the Smithsonian. I had so much fun wandering around.
Enjoy! :D

We have lived in the D.C. area (first in Maryland, now in Virginia) for 40 years and we now finally have the time to take advantage of all of the great things to do and see here.
Isn't it wonderful to finally have the time! I'm exhausting myself trying to see my area, the list grows longer every day, so many things I want to see and do during the great October weather.

I just escaped the new Dan Brown book and am claiming I read it for its tour of D.C. aspects.

Last edited:
We went there a couple of years ago. stayed a week. It was amazing. Went to about 6 attractions a day. Zipped around town on the Metro. I need to go back to fully explore the Library of Congress

Don't forget the Spy Museum on F St. near Chinatown. That's a good one. I went once the first year it was open. I think it's been added to since then. Also when there was a Security Conference I attended nearby I went into the gift shop. That's a great way to spend a lunch hour. It's amazing how much spy stuff and firewall stuff have in common. My favorite was the keychain that said "Deny Everything". :D

I think I mentioned the Capitol light before but just a reminder to visitors coming in the days leading up to a Congressional recess (e.g. early-mid August or before Thanksgiving) when they are working late to finish up legislation. When Congress is in session at night the light in the balcony at the top of the dome is lit - you can see it quite a ways off. You can generally walk right into the galleries without a reservation during an evening session and stay as long as you like.

The last two years we have spent Thanksgiving in Washington DC .It's a great time to visit . I love the Smithsonian especially the American history building .

My aunt has lived in DC since the 60's and I have spent day after day wandering the Smithsonian since I was a preteen on my visits. I have worn out whole groups of people who thought they could hang with me.

My next visit will include a trip to Quantico to see the Marine Corps Museum. From what I've read and see on the 'net it is awesome. There is a train station on the base, I'm considering taking the train if the scheduling is flexible enough.

Leonidas,

The new Marine Corps Museum is outstanding and well worth the trip for anyone in the DC area. The museum is outside the base near the I-95 exit to Quantico. I'm not sure if it is easily accessible by train as the train station is actually on base near the airport. You'll want to check with someone on base or perhaps the museum folks about the travel arrangements.

Have a great time and expect to spend the day.

D.C. is great! One of my favorite places is the National Geographic Museum. My tongue is hanging out to see the Terra Cotta Warriors from China. They begin their visit in Nov. 2009.

Lived there 6 years myself, so I know you'll be busy. When I get out of here, I really want to go there and see everything again myself. I envy you!

Back
Top Bottom