Ever hire a comedian to entertain?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone ever hired a comedian :LOL: to entertain your Moose, Elks, Chamber of Commerce, church function, whatever? How did it turn out? And where did you find them to begin with? What was the cost and for how long a time period? A friend of mine is organizing a function and I offered to help find out some information.

Yes, I hired a comedian to entertain at my company's Xmas party at a restaurant. He had been on that tv show "last comic standing" or something like that. I don't watch tv. We agreed on a price; he wanted more $$ after his "show", which was kinda funny, plus a tip, plus his drinks and his girlfriend's, and their meals, and travel, and still was whiny. I never did that again. Not recommended.

Rewahoo is retired, and even if he does come out of retirement, you may find that live in person, one liners aren't as funny if you have to wait 5 minutes between each one liner.

Talk about unprofessional! Sorry that happened to you, Zoomie. Sounds like he was just a jerk. There is no need for you to pay for his drinks and his girlfriends and meals and travel UNLESS it was originally agreed on. That's one comic who won't get far you can bet on that, and how stupid as you might have been able to pass his name on to others.
By the way, do you remember how long his show was? Or what his going rate was (before all the whining and trying to squeeze more out of you)? I assume he was from the local area or Chicago, anyway.

...and, gosh! I hadn't even thought of asking REWahoo...how could I forget?

My husband helped plan entertainment for a Red Cross fundraiser. It was "dueling pianos" and it was hysterical. The cost was $2,250 for two hours of entertainment by two guys. Their normal price was $2,500 but they gave a discount because it was a Red Cross event. The audience bought them beer but they didn't have much time to drink between all the singing and the talking (telling jokes). I think they will get invited back for another one. They had played in a neighboring town so DH had a good reference on them.

Now that is positive news. Thanks....that's what we're looking for.
That guy Zoomie got stuck with was just a loser, and I'm sorry he had such a bad experience.

Never hired a comedian, but did help find and hire local small town musicians.
Most performers register with an agency who handles all the bookings and contracts for them. It's all spelled out and terms are binding in both directions. No surprises. :D
Sorry you had such a turkey. Sounds like the post performance whining is an integrated part of his act. I'll bet it w*rks out very profitably for him. The squeaky wheel...:nonono:

We hired a guy a few years ago who showed up doing a pretty darn good W.C Fields act including some pretty blue stuff. It was for an adults only party at our home with friends and neighbors. (Some attending did not like the blue part though). Not all adults are grown ups!

Why is it so many older folks over 50 y.o. have to act so "offended"? Pretense or reality? I've always wondered why so many older folks, particularly, get huffy and storm out of any speaker or comedian who does anything blue at all (and the old men are just almost as bad as the old ladies). What happens to people and comedy as they age? They seem to often lose their funny bone...and become so very uptight, overly moral and self-righteous as they age.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom