Not all jobs are so bad after all

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I would consider taking this position...

Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- After you practice for years and get to Carnegie Hall, it’s almost better to move music stands than actually play the piano. Depending on wattage, a star pianist can receive $20,000 a night at the 118-year-old hall, meaning he or she would have to perform at least 27 times to match the income of Dennis O’Connell, who oversees props at the New York concert hall. O’Connell made $530,044 in salary and benefits during the fiscal year that ended in June 2008. The four other members of the full-time stage crew -- two carpenters and two electricians -- had an average income of $430,543 during the same period, according to Carnegie Hall’s tax return. At Carnegie Hall, which has featured on its three stages such varied musicians as Duke Ellington, Bob Dylan and the Berlin Philharmonic, only Artistic and Executive Director Clive Gillinson makes more than the stagehands.

Stagehand Moving Props Makes $530,044 at N.Y.C.’s Carnegie Hall - Bloomberg.com

I was going to ask what he could possibly do that couldn't easily be found elsewhere for a lot less, but then I got to the part about the strong union.

Plus, people get paid more in NYC, and things cost more. The odd aspect of this phenomenon to me is the 1:1 exchange rate between the dollar in places like NYC and the dollar in flyover country.

The funny thing about NYC is the unions..... and how the people up there seem to just accept some of this BS...

When I was there.... they had some call or something for doormen... which is a strong union... and the line was long... I wondered why.. they said a doorman can make $100,000!!! This does not include the mandatory [-]extortion[/-] christmas gift that every resident of a building is supposed to give... one guy I knew said they gave an envelope with the 'suggested' rates for each person who was in the building...

At the end of the new clip.... they said it was hard to get in the union since family memebers of someone in the union gets first crack at it...

Remember.... a building with a 24/7 doorman needs at least 3... plus someone at the desk all the time...

Back
Top Bottom