Your favourite hostess gifts?

DangerMouse

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have been invited to a friend's place for Thanksgiving dinner. We are going to take the usual champagne and flowers, however it got me to thinking about what else I could take that is outside the box of the usual chocolates, wine etc. What you have taken or been given as a hostess gift that you have enjoyed immensely?

I always appreciate a live plant that I can put in my garden at the appropriate time. For example, I was given a gerbera daisy over the summer and I planted it in a pot on my deck. I've also received a small pot of tete-a-tete daffodils a few years ago and they are now growing in a corner of my garden.

It might not be too late to find a mum or aster that you could bring, wrapped in foil.

I love all that's been mentioned and have brought all that have been mentioned to parties. However, one time I brought some artsy refrigerator magnets to a dinner that were unique and pricey, and they loved them as they were so different. Another time I brought some small hors d' oeuvre knives as a gift and they loved them, too, from what I could tell. I bought another friend a gift for her dog that she loved (toys, little bones in a basket I decorated). The dog must have liked it as he licked me alot.
A friend gave me a Paula Deen cookbook, which thrilled me no end. Is there any culture or thing they love to eat that there is a cookbook for (i.e., like a book on Cajun cooking or Italian pastas or just a dessert cookbook)?
A small vase, a unique bowl, a cool looking and different ashtray for smokers, beautiful handmade candles, some unique hand lotions and soaps--just anything unique/different/artistic would be wonderful to me. Just some small something to take in your hands that screams "them" is most appreciated I think as it's the personal quality of the gift that's most thoughtful (as in "I saw this and immediately thought of you.")

I never ever mind getting something consumable, like flowers and champagne, or home-made cookies or something of that ilk. If I know the person well I might bring something more permanent that I know they like. Once I made two dozen holiday fabric cocktail napkins as a hostess gift for a good friend's Christmas party.

Threads like this make me think back to rural childhood, which I never have really escaped. If someone was invited to "supper" they would ask what to bring. You would say "how about some of your cardamom bread" and that would be it.

Home made salsa or antipasto
Gourmet arty iced cookies
Specialty teas

Threads like this make me think back to rural childhood, which I never have really escaped. If someone was invited to "supper" they would ask what to bring. You would say "how about some of your cardamom bread" and that would be it.

The same was true for me growing up in the city. Usually the answer was, "Oh, nothing, I've got it under control!" or sometimes it was "could you bring a dessert?" or "how about some hors d'oeuvres?" or something like that. Somehow, it seems like nobody does that any more. The last time I remember doing that was in 2001, and instead of something homemade, the answer was to bring a loaf of Leidenheimer's French bread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I gave guest towels (the little hand towels) to a hostess who had a pink guest bathroom. Her daughter told me she really thought that was thoughtful to give her, so that could be a good one, too, for you. You can get a ton of these at TJ Maxx and Marshall's half price most times.

Coasters, hand-made
and those little rings that go around the stems of stemware to mark your wine glass as yours.

A bottle opener or corkscrew

But consumable chocolates are the best.

We have a Great Harvest Bread store near us and a loaf of one of their specialty breads always seems to be appreciated.

We have been invited to a friend's place for Thanksgiving dinner. We are going to take the usual champagne and flowers, however it got me to thinking about what else I could take that is outside the box of the usual chocolates, wine etc. What you have taken or been given as a hostess gift that you have enjoyed immensely?

I bring champagne. For me and my friends champagne IS outside the box :LOL:

I usually bring wine and since I am going to my sister's I found this wine called Middle Sister .

I know gentlemen prefer blonds, but I'm rather fond of red heads personally...:angel::whistle:

We all bring food to share at family holidays. I usually do deviled eggs and raw veggie platter. Someone brings pies others a hot dish.

Bringing something helps the hostess with both time and money one less thing to have to deal with. My SIL makes the best home made hot rolls but her son tried it once so far. He failed but might continue to try. He didn't know they needed to raise a second time so they were hard but tasted fine.

Going to a strangers who didn't want you to bring food a pound of coffee already ground like starbucks is nice. We were going to my boyfriend's sisters 300 miles a way. I didn't know what the food plan was or if they drink alcohol or coffee or had a coffee grinder. If you bring flowers they need to find a vase when they are busy or if you bring wine they might feel the need to serve it and they may have already paired the food to a wine.
Coffee they can serve after dinner or not at all and don't have to deal with it. I know his sister used to do drugs and if she was having issues with alcohol she shouldn't have to have it in her home. I haven't ever seen her home so don't know what she might like in the way of something to keep.

Back
Top Bottom