Let Us Give Thanks

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
An annual tradition...

I am thankful for every year that it gets a little easier to recover from some pretty tough personal tragedies over the past 7 years.
I am thankful for a wonderful man who is giving me a bright future and has the patience to put up with a zany bird like me. :cool:
I am thankful for financial security in these very tough economic times.
And lastly...
I am thankful for the comraderie of the people here, some of whom have become very good "imaginary friends". :D

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving, everyone. :flowers:

"The Bird"

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone...:greetings10:

I am thankful for my daughter who is the best daughter anyone could ask for
I am thankful that I have a grandson who is a delight
I am thankful I have a great guy who takes care of me
and I'm thankful for all my family and extended family
Happy Thanksgiving !

What she said with just a few minor changes.........

I am thankful for my [-]daughter[/-] son who is the best [-]daughter[/-] son anyone could ask for
I am thankful that I have [-]grandson[/-] two grandsons and a granddaughter who are a delight
I am thankful I have a great [-]guy[/-] gal who takes care of me
and I'm thankful for all my family and extended family
Happy Thanksgiving !

Thankful for family, sig other, and to be born in the U S A.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :greetings10:

I am thankful for the comraderie of the people here, some of whom have become very good "imaginary friends". :D

"The Bird"

You mean we are not "real" friends? :confused:

Happy Thanksgiving to the "Bird", and everyone else of course.

I am thankful for doing the yucky work on myself to have a relationship with my family.
I am thankful for six years sober.
I am thankful for a wonderful career, a great work environment, and having some amazing clients.
I am thankful for being in a relationship with a wonderful man.
I am thankful for Casanova :)

I am thankful that my SO and I are in good health.
Also thankful that despite all the economic turmoil, I have not had to return to a j*b at megacorp.
And finally, thankful to be a part of this online community where I find more like-minded folks than I do in real-life.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm thankful for all those lady pilgrims particularly who froze their fannies off in the Winter, had babies without anesthesia and worked the soil with the men, did the laundry by hand and endured countless hardships to help build this free land we live in.
I think about their lives every Thanksgiving and all they went thru for all of us, and I'm sure that we weren't even in their thoughts so many years ago as they just looked at it like they were living their lives and doing what had to be done on a daily basis.

So, I am thankful for all those men and women and children who came to this country to start building it into what we have today. I can't imagine what they endured to live here, and what they gave up to start this country. But I'm thankful for what they did, and try to remember them every Thanksgiving.,

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am thankful for so much, mostly Frank :smitten: , dear man!

Naturally I am also thankful for my new son-in-law, my daughter, my brothers, and the rest of my family, for my home, my internet friends and real life friends, and for each moment, past, present, and future.

The most recent addition to my "list of things to be thankful for" would of course be my retirement a litle over two weeks ago.

Free at last. :clap::dance:

I had to think this one over.

I'm thankful that I have two kids that will make the world a better place.

This Thanksgiving will be special to me. My new granddaughter is with us because of a miracle of science.

Everyone have a safe and happy holiday.

I am thankful to have a normal family who all care about each other instead of disfunctional family.

I am happy to have a mom who is 83 and a caring human being donating 24/7 to keeping her sister and he husband in their home instead of a nursing home. She is happy to do it even though she is 250 miles from home and her own kids and grand kids and great grand kids. I and one grandson are going to see her tomorrow and she will come home for Christmas. We miss her but at least she is healthy enough to do what she considers important work.
She doesn't drive that far so we have to take her and bring her back all the time if she can get someone else to cover for her.

I'm thankful to be FIRE'd now for nearly 3 years!!! Also for good health, family, and friends!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!! :greetings10:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I'm so very thankful for my daughter and the many memories that I have of my husband. I'm thankful for my health. I am thankful that I have a nice warm house, in a safe neighborhood, that I share with my cute little dog. I'm very thankful that I could quit working when I did.:greetings10:

I am thankful for having DW in my life. She is one of the most kind, decent, generous, thoughtful people I have ever met in my life, who after 21 years still thinks I'm "the best thing that's ever going to happen to her". (What does she see in a crotchety old grouch like me?)

Yesterday was great. Went to pick up FIL and drove to a small town in PA to have dinner with DW's nephew's wife's parents (great people) where DW spent all the time she could hogging holding the aforementioned nephew's new baby. As usual, there was enough food there to feed a regiment and when we got home DW says she's hungry because she spent all her time with the baby.

Although I have chosen to work at a job for a while longer, I am thankful that we are in a position that neither one has to. Yesterday we heard of several of DW's sister's friends/relatives who are enduring some very difficult times, one of whom is facing foreclosure because of job loss.

I am thankful that we have no serious health issues. That one's a biggie.

And I'm thankful for finding the wit, humor, and insight found on this board.

I'm thankful for the men and women who have served, or are serving in our military. God Bless you all.

Thought this was kind of cute. A cut and paste from a local forum.

Unsurprisingly to most, I have a vast contempt for the Thanksgiving holiday. It’s often only an excuse for a meal, an excuse for a noncommittal time of saying “Thank You” for all the things you don’t appreciate without the inconvenience of having to mean it, of having to espouse the virtues of gratitude when in fact you’re only appearing before your family for the sake of your own conscience, and as if to underscore this, for the sake of your own need for a free meal that you’d otherwise have to pay for yourself. I allow a pause here for those of you reading this who might not know who you are…and I pause for those who are not, but feed those very people regardless.
That aside, I’m an upbeat person who enjoys the holiday as much as anyone else. I tend to also think of it as a time of gratitude in remembrance of settlers who were screwed two ways to Sunday until they met locals who got them through an otherwise terminal time in their lives, which inevitably led to the current Modern Age. I sometimes wonder if the natives who helped them had any idea their actions would one day lead to the establishment of “reality television” shows. Had they been aware of this, would they be thankful? Or would they immediately slit their own throats and avoid a whole slew of embarrassment? Until we master sling-shotting around the sun and going back in time we’ll never know, but I am still thankful for some things, no matter what you may think.
First and foremost, I am grateful that Ally McBeal is off the air. Five long years of teaching young women that it’s OK to “spontaneously dance your troubles away” like complete twits in unisex bathrooms. Five long years of trying to make lesbian piano music mainstream. Five long years of living in terror of Calista Flockhart and Peter MacNicol getting liquored up one night after filming and producing the most annoying baby since Congressman Barney Frank.
I am grateful for “chaos theory” mathematics. Not so much for the study of complex dynamical systems that explain, among other things, why long-term weather prediction and self-regulating political term limits are impossible, but because it gave us “trippy fractal images” in the late ’80s and ’90s to enjoy, and it inspired kids to think when they learned about it from watching Jurassic Park, of all things. (The original, not the compromised second and third installments.)
I am grateful for the late Carlos “White Feather” Hathcock and the calming influence he had on my formative years.
I am grateful for Jeff Bridges. The same man who played “Tron” played “Jeffrey Lebowski”; he is like a Geeky Jesus.
I am grateful for “light” beers because I’m an American not pretending to have cultured Northern European tastes for warm light-crude motor oil, and I do not wish to weigh in excess of 350 pounds. I am also grateful for the advent of tiny dorm fridges these beers live in so that they can both exist in their natural American state (freakin’ ice-cold), and also be in many rooms at the same time.
I’m thankful horse-crap like “LEED Certification” is a freakin’ fad.
I am grateful that Phil Harris from Deadliest Catch finally realized it was more than a damn cracked rib and caught his blood clots in time and took his doctor’s advice, even though it meant sitting out his first Opilio season ever. (Dammit, I know it was difficult, but Josh and Jake need you, bro. Hell’s bells, after a scare like that I’m not afraid to say it: I need you, too, Captain Phil. There it is. Let’s see what happens.)
I’m running out of space, but do you see? Sure, I have opinions and beliefs occasionally branded as being a tad coarse or at least “less than mainstream”…but I’m not so emotionally distant as to be completely cut off from humanity. In fact, I think at times I’m freakin’ sensitive as hell. The thing about that guy from that place I had to electrocute was just business. That stuff about Jared from Subway…well, OK, that was just kind of shitty, and come to think of it I’m pretty sure I even started this article by saying I have contempt for Thanksgiving…but all in all I am pretty thankful for more than Kevlar and my family (“Oh, Momma!”).
I’m thankful for those that walk The Line and stand a post, willing to give it all. And I am thankful for you, Dear Reader, even though you fear those on the line willing to give it all.
(Jared from Subway is still one Whopper away from hell, though. On that I stand firm. Happy Thanksgiving.)
When officer Alexander D. Teach is not patrolling our fair city on the heels of the criminal element, he is an occasional student at UTC, an up and coming carpenter, auto mechanic, prominent boating enthusiast, and spends his spare time volunteering for the Boehm Birth Defects Center.

I'm thankful that my sister had Thanksgiving at her house this year. We usually have it here and this was so much easier. I bought pies and Cool Whip and that was it!

I'm thankful that DH still has his job. He's about 90% certain that his employer will not be renewing his contract in June 2010. But his paychecks are still coming and we've had over a year to prepare for it. We've stopped being freaked out and angry and are accepting that it's a reality. And we've saved as much as we can.

I'm thankful that DH reached 26 years in his pension plan.

I'm very thankful that our younger son is in his last semester of college and he graduates in 3 weeks! It's been a long haul, between the 2 sons we've had someone in college since 2002. Despite a horrible job market here he's also looking forward to the next phase in his life.

I'm thankful that my cat has recovered from a recent serious illness. He spent 4 days in the vet hospital with severe anemia. He was so thin and weak and had no appetite. It was the second time he's gone through this and I thought we'd lose him. This time the vet found that he had a blood parasite and there's a good treatment for it and he's almost fully recovered. He's on prednisone and an antibiotic and he's gone from thin and weak and hiding from us back to his goofy, playful, silly personality. He's put on so much weight (from the prednisone) that he has a waddle when he walks.

Back
Top Bottom