Opinions needed

Helen

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dear trusted board members,

My Mother, whom I loved deeply, passed away on Thursday. I was fortunate to be with her as she died. She was the youngest 85 year old most people knew, and we were all actually shocked that she died. I am so sad that she is gone.

I am at my Mom's house in Michigan. She has an older cocker spaniel that I am taking back to Oregon with me. I don't think the dog would survive a plane flight and it sounds kind of good to pack up the dog and take a long road trip.

I plan to call my boss tomorrow and tell her I'll be back to work the week after Christmas. The service is this Tuesday and I could leave on Wednesday.

Does anyone have suggestions about what would be the safest route to take?

Someone suggested the northern route would be the flatest and might actually be safer. I was thinking of going south to St. Louis then heading west.

Thank you all for your suggestions on this I value your opinions.

-helen

Last edited:
Helen, so sorry for your loss.

Given the time of year, I would opt for the South then West route.

Helen,
So sorry to hear about your loss.
I don't remember if I've been the northern route (I-94 and I-90), but Google says the distances are about the same (about 4 hours less to the middle of OR from the middle of MI going on I-80 than going the northern route).

I find the Interstates, even through the mountains, to be very comfortable drives without any drama. You and the pooch might appreciate the slightly warmer weather to be expected along the "southern" route this time of year as you go on the obligatory walks.

Again, very sorry to hear about your mom. Good luck.

most places 1 day, 17 hours to . The more southerly route (I-80)

Helen, I am very sorry for your loss:(
I would recommend the southern route.
Be careful about any areas of freezing rain though.

So sorry to hear about your Mom, Helen. Losing a mother is always hard. Hopefully the good memories will shine through.

So sorry to hear of your loss.

I echo the suggestion of the southern route at this time of year. Be safe; God speed.

I assume you don't think the dog will survive if it is put in the cargo area. Are you not allowed to put the dog in a carrier and set it beside you on the plane?

I wish I could tell you the best route, but I'm afraid I can not. If you decide to drive, here is a website that will help you find a hotel that will accept pets....

Hotels that Allow Pet

My heart goes out to you Helen. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Sorry to hear about your mom, Helen.

With regard to the trip, I think that anything north of I40 through AZ and NM is subject to pretty severe winter storms and my guess is that going I40 would double your mileage.

I think I would opt for the alpine climber strategy of waiting for a break in the weather and then going like heck.

mb

Deeply sorry about your loss, Helen. Mom would have appreciated your kindness toward the pooch, no doubt.

I'd go the southern route looking at the national weather. If it takes an extra day or you have to hole up an extra night with Fido, no big deal.

With your recent loss I'd rather see you taking your time and not worrying about snow.

I'm so sorry about your mother, Helen. Hugs for driving the dog. I flew my dogs to Florida and back to California this year. It was traumatic for them and I was sorry to have to do it twice.

Helen,

I have no advice on the driving route, but I am so sorry about the loss of your Mother. Bless you for taking care of her dog! I hope your journey forward is smooth and safe!

Thank you all for your support and kind words. I guess I'll go 70 from St. Louis then either 80 to 84 or 80 to I5.

I have some pjs that I found in the dirty clothes basket to take for the dog so she will have my Mom's scent. I have a big flashlight/lantern, a blanket, water, some food, flares, and an atlas. I have AAA and Mom has Onstar on the car plus Sirus radio that might have a weather channel. The car is solid, pretty new (4k miles with good tires) and has that traction thing that kicks in automatically, so I think this is a good car for the trip.

Can anyone think of something else that would be smart to take along?

I think I'll call my credit card company and alert them that I'll be using my credit card a lot.

Thanks for any further ideas.

-helen

Helen, I am also sorry for your loss. I'm probably going to go thru the same in the near future, and do not look forward to it.

I'm in the Midwest now, and I would definitely take the lesser icy roads; so, I'd go from St. Louis and over. Why take that chance to hit black ice going 65-70? Not worth it.
Go for the safety I say.

If the dog is hyper at all you can get doggie downers from the Vet. My friends did that for their dog, and it worked.

Don't forget doggie's bowl and food for doggie, and the leash.

Believe it or not, I always forget to bring enough cash (being so credit card dependent).

When I lost loved ones, I actually appreciated the long trips back home, a couple of which were by myself. Time to think, no need to keep a stiff upper lip, kind of reassuring monotony of the road. Add in the companionship of a dog who needs you and the whole plan could turn out to be a great decision.

Take an ice chest with bottled water and juice so you don't need to hunt to find a drink. I would also take healthy snacks, but still stop every 2 - 4 hours to let the dog out. Take the dog's current brand of dog food so there is no change to his digestion. Dogs don't change food as easily as we humans.

You and your new best friend have a safe trip.

A small shovel in the trunk wouldn't hurt in case you meet a snow bank.

Helen, so sorry for your loss.

The dog might have a favorite toy, especially a stuffed animal. It also might have a pillow and/or blanket.

If you plan to make hotel reservations, a couple of web sites that show pet friendly hotels
Dog, Cat & Other Pet Friendly Hotels at Petswelcome.com
Pet Accommodations | Pet Friendly Hotels

You can build and print a TripTik at the AAA web site, and the online map will also highlight hotels along the route that are pet friendly. You can also stop by the local AAA office and get guidebooks with the same information – these are very useful when looking for a pet friendly place to stay.

Your local pet store will have a pet-friendly seat belt. It’s a type of harness that fits into the car seal belt. It will protect your dog in case of a sudden stop and also keep it in place while you’re driving – both are important.

Have a safe trip.

When I used to drive in snow I always had an old blanket in the trunk . If I got stuck I would shove the blanket under the back wheels and back onto it . It provided enough traction to get unstuck .

Can anyone think of something else that would be smart to take along?
It looks like you've got the bases covered. When traveling alone sometimes it's more of a challenge to stay alert, so you might want to bring a thermos for some coffee or tea. I do that sometimes--the coffee helps keep you awake for the first hour, and the distended bladder keeps you alert for another hour.

With satellite radio (is her subscription current?) you should find plenty to listen to on the trip. If you're worried, treat yourself to a CD or two you can pop in. Similarly, in the hotel room at night you might want a magazine or book to read if you're not a TV person. Most hotels have wireless internet, so you'll have the net if you've got a laptop.

Good thinking about bringing something with your mom's scent for the pooch. Don't fret if he fails to eat at first--dogs sometimes go through grieving in their own way, too.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy the solitude and the chance to reflect. Best wishes.

So sorry for loss of your mom.

A couple large bags of sand or kitty litter, and a small shovel if you can find it, in case the car slips on ice.
God bless you for taking care of her dog - a just reward for a loving companion.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother and so glad to hear you are taking her dog home with you. Bless you and drive carefully.

Helen,
If you have satellite radio in the car, you can tune in to channel XM247 for constantly updated serious weather information from OnStar about the area you're traveling through. (XM247 is the emergency channel...it works even if the OnStar subscription has lapsed.)

Also, if the subscription is in effect, when you press the blue OnStar button, you can ask the advisor for local hotel accommodations that accept pets, along with any other kinds of information you might need to make your trip comfortable.

(And after once flying a dog from Colorado to Michigan, I think the drive will be much less stressful on your Mom's pooch.)

Last edited:
Helen,

Just a couple of thoughts:

(1) If you are on the fence at all about driving vs. flying, both American Airlines and Southwest (now) will allow small dogs in the passenger cabin with you for a nominal charge. Honestly, this time of year, that is what I would recommend.

(2) If you do decide to drive, I definitely recommend the southern route. I believe all of the Drury Hotels (www.druryhotels.com, a mid-western hotel chain) welcome small dogs. These might be a bit expensive for every night stay on your trip; but, they are business class and might be a nice break occassionally.

I am very sorry for you loss.

Safe travels.

Back
Top Bottom