Snow and Retirement

hellbender

Recycles dryer sheets
Well here I am in Southwest Virginia, right smack in the bulls eye of a major winter noreaster snow event. They are calling for 12-18" here. There are 5 inches on the ground already and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow evening.

In my working days, the threat of snowfall would lead to the inevitable calculation of how it would affect my commute and how and when I would accomplish all the additional snow-related chores. In other words . . . . snow was a drag.:(

Things are entirely different now. No commute and no real worries. I can actually appreciate the event. I am at home where I can easily take care of all necessary chores, which I now enjoy since I can schedule and accomplish on my terms, and really enjoy the beauty of the event. :)

Once again, wonderful not to be an essential or any kind of empl*yee. We are under winter storm warning. Any guesses from 3" to 6".

Them plows will look really good while hanging onto a cup of coffee in the morning.:whistle:

After our truck wouldn't start due to busted block heater and -30C weather, I had to spend some uncomfortable time outside monkeying around. When I came into the house (upset) I told me wife "That's it! I've decided we're spending winters some place warm when we retire! I refuse to die here in this weather!".

I guess though I can see how if a person didn't have any worries regarding getting to work and appointments winter wouldn't be that big of a deal. If the weather sucks just stay home.

I really enjoyed not having to find a way to work through our heavy rain, minor flooding, and pea-soup fog earlier this past week. I just say at home with a cup of hot chocolate, watching the cars battling their way to work on the news.

I guess though I can see how if a person didn't have any worries regarding getting to work and appointments winter wouldn't be that big of a deal. If the weather sucks just stay home.

Do remember living in NY, my '72 VW block heater was a 100 Watt lightbulb, an' a blanket clamped around the engine cover.:D Not quiet -30C.

Oh, great. And I have theater tickets for a matinee in Pittsburgh...Jane Eyre. I am planning on taking a co-worker and meeting my cousin for the event. After wards having dinner at a new pan-Asian restaurant. I do have a Toyota Land Cruiser, but I hate driving in the snow beyond a few miles for local stuff. I will play it by ear and see what the morrow brings. I leave for FL on Tuesday and the weather looks okay for my jaunt to the airport.

"That's it! I've decided we're spending winters some place warm when we retire! I refuse to die here in this weather!".
A friend of mine told me her husband got sick of shoveling snow when they lived 'up North'. He said he was going to strap the snow blower to the top of the car and head south. When he reached a point where someone asked while pointing to the snow blower..."What's that?" He would know he was in the right place. :D

I always thought I would never move back to St. Louis because of the winter weather. Now that DH and I are both retired, the snow wouldn't bother me as much since we could hold up for a while and not have to fight the frozen rush hour frenzy.

Hmmmmmm......

That's what I am expecting - when retired, it's no problem. Being a Sat. storm, it isn't as big a deal, unless you are a merchant. I might have to spend some quality time with my snow shovel, tho.

You may find this NWS radar loop webpage to be somewhat useful. :cool:
NWS - Enhanced Doppler Radar National Mosaic Loop

You can also click on your region on the national map graphic to zoom in on your locality. Or just enter your zip code at www.noaa.gov and select the radar graphic halfway down the right side of the page, then select the composite radar loop option at upper left.

Well here I am in Southwest Virginia, right smack in the bulls eye of a major winter noreaster snow event. They are calling for 12-18" here. There are 5 inches on the ground already and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow evening.

In my working days, the threat of snowfall would lead to the inevitable calculation of how it would affect my commute and how and when I would accomplish all the additional snow-related chores. In other words . . . . snow was a drag.:(

Things are entirely different now. No commute and no real worries. I can actually appreciate the event. I am at home where I can easily take care of all necessary chores, which I now enjoy since I can schedule and accomplish on my terms, and really enjoy the beauty of the event. :)
I'm calculating how this snowfall will affect my commute...to the slopes where I can ski powder tomorrow! We could get 2 feet.

Back in ancient times when I worked and lived in Colorado - I would often muse how the Eskimos had many different names for snow.

During the week going out to get it off my car - and driving thru it to work:

VS

The Weekend with a couple of fellow skiers driving thru it to Vail.

Similar snow different names - which I leave to your imagination.

heh heh heh - may get a few snow flurries here north of Kansas City and me in ER with no particular place to go. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: :whistle:Maybe an evening drive?

Well on the SE side of VA we've yet to see a flake. They say that may/will change tomorrow and I'll be looking for timeshare weeks in Florida -- again! Maybe Arizona and Texas, if I really get wound up. White Christmas bah humbug that! :nonono:

Hellbender, I'm from SW VA as well (outside Roanoke). I know exactly how you feel. I retired recently and other than missing several holiday events scheduled in Roanoke this weekend, I am looking forward to the snow! It'll probably be a couple of days before our road is plowed but we're all set for enjoying time at home. Was out earlier this evening sledding with two of my grandkids. What a blast and no worries other than possibly losing power. Now that would be a drag.

What part of SW VA are you from?

Pulaski/Claytor Lake

What part of SW VA are you from?

I reside in Pulaski County (Hiwassee/Allisonia) I live between the New River and the New River Trail State Park. I believe we now have about 7" . . . .and no sign of letup. I have tickets for the Tech basketball game at home tomorrow. I hope it gets postponed 'cause I don't think I'm going anywhere tomorrow.:(

I reside in Pulaski County (Hiwassee/Allisonia) I live between the New River and the New River Trail State Park. I believe we now have about 7" . . . .and no sign of letup. I have tickets for the Tech basketball game at home tomorrow. I hope it gets postponed 'cause I don't think I'm going anywhere tomorrow.:(
Pulaski County is a beautiful area. I was a scoutmaster for our local troop (Troutville) and we would make it a point to go to summercamp at Powatan. As you mentioned, it is also close to VT as well. Go HOKIES!!!!

Real Close

Pulaski County is a beautiful area. I was a scoutmaster for our local troop (Troutville) and we would make it a point to go to summercamp at Powatan. As you mentioned, it is also close to VT as well. Go HOKIES!!!!

Powatan is real close to me. Only about 5 minutes away. Last summer I helped out a scoutmaster who got lost trying to find Powatan. I like the idea of living in a place where scoutmasters get lost.:)

And since there's no need to rush to w*rk in the morning, there's no urgency to shovel. :)

YES!!!
action-smiley-033.gif

I remember way too many cold, dark, early mornings, freezing my butt off, while the wind was whipping the still-falling snow into my face, out shoveling snow and clearing off the cars so I could go to work. Bah!!! The winter of '06-'07....the last winter that I was still working....I swore that I would NEVER shovel any snow, or clear off any car, before it was light out....and before I was good and darn ready too!!!

This is now winter #3 since ER.....and I've faithfully kept my vow!!! :cool:

Where are you? I like snow but I hope I don't have to shovel that much.;)
I'm at Wintergreen, on the mountain. We just went outside to check it out (on foot), about 9 inches, no signs whatsover of letting up. They keep the mountain plowed though, because of the ski resort. If I can get up the first big hill (at least a 20% grade), I'll be ok.

The storm's supposed to miss NY State because we're sitting under some frigid Canadian air - it's 6 degees right now.

Frigid Canadian air is not 6 degrees, that's balmy Canadian air. Cold starts at -40 and frigid is even colder.:(

To

[Johnnie, if you click on the "edit" button just below this post you can add to your comments]

Last edited by a moderator:

Things are entirely different now. No commute and no real worries. I can actually appreciate the event.

I used to live in MD where panic would ensue every time it snowed. Now I live in VT (which appears to be on schedule to avoid the storm you're talking about - go figure!) It's great here when it snows overnight. We just sleep in a little later. When we're ready we go snow-shoeing in the woods behind the house or in a nearby state park. I do a few volunteer things each week but none of them involve saving peoples' lives, so if the snow is too deep to drive in, I just call them and say I won't be in that day. (I don't like to do that, but it's nice to know I can) As long as there's enough food, toilet paper and beer in the house, there's no need to go out.

Were about 40 minutes north of Roanoke, VA and I just go back from dropping my wife off at w*rk. She works in emergency services and they have gotten slammed. She had helped them out over the phone and thought they were going to be able to work through it all but everything fell apart.

We have about an inch of ice and 6” of snow on top of it. Looking at what’s out there and what it’s calling for were getting another 12 to 18”. The bad part is the apartments we live in don’t have out side outlets so I have to use a tinny Honda 15 amp genset to plug up my truck.

Back
Top Bottom