4 Seasons, golf and not too expensive

inkitnow

Recycles dryer sheets
Before we say "The Villages" is IT, I thoght I'd solicit opinions about alternatives. We are looking for a small to med sized city with a lot to do. Plenty of golf. And at least a month or two of all 4 seasons.

Any input on Asheville, NC or other suggestions? We like the idea of unlimited "free" golf that The Villages offers but I'd miss fall and the first snow. Also, we'd like to spend $300K or less on a home. Any ideas?

Before we say "The Villages" is IT, I thoght I'd solicit opinions about alternatives. We are looking for a small to med sized city with a lot to do. Plenty of golf. And at least a month or two of all 4 seasons.

Any input on Asheville, NC or other suggestions? We like the idea of unlimited "free" golf that The Villages offers but I'd miss fall and the first snow. Also, we'd like to spend $300K or less on a home. Any ideas?

You do realize that the free golf is built into the prices of the houses so it really is not free . It's just hidden !

Yes, but you can play as often as you like without taking out your credit card or cash. I think $135/mo is quite reasonable for unlimited golf, activities, classes etc.
Thanks for your input.

I believe the "free" golf at The Villages is limited to the 9 hole "executive" course. If you want to play a regular 18 hole par 72 course, you have to pay.

Asheville NC is one of the places that we researched, but I won't presume to advise you. I'd recommend you check out Asheville, North Carolina (NC) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, sex offenders, news, sex offenders.
Scroll down and peruse the FORUM there.

We consider city-data for a good resource for research, but not the only one. DW has a lifelong friend who has lived in Asheville for 19 years now, who agrees with much of what the forum says.

Yes, but you can play as often as you like without taking out your credit card or cash. I think $135/mo is quite reasonable for unlimited golf, activities, classes etc.
Thanks for your input.

Yes , $135 is reasonable but paying $350,000 for a house worth $250,000 is not . That is how they offer all that for $135 a month .

I don't have an answer for you but as I do my own shopping for a place to move, I've found this site useful for research:

Our Recent Studies

Their studies are pretty interesting, you can also type in a city name and get all kinds of info including climate, housing prices, etc.

Athens GA, a college town in northern GA.
I have not been there but Athens seems somewhat like Chapel Hill NC, where I lived for 18 months, with the university of North Carolina Chapell Hill, about 30,000 students there, Duke is 10 miles north of Chapel Hill, excellent medical, and sports. Historic house, and new ones, a golf club society 8 miles away from Main Street. Nice restaurants.
Athens seem to be like Chapel Hill, but a couple hundred miles south, I would love to be there , Chapel Hill, now, instead of in Connecticut.

You would not like playing golf all winter in Asheville, NC.
Small towns near Atlanta or Birmingham (think Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail)

Actually Birmingham AL is on my short list ( about 5 places) for retirement living, taxes are low, climate is warm, real estate prices are acceptable. I spent my first 21 years in Worcester Ma, ...now in Connecticut for the past 7 years,...spent 20 years near San Francisco, which was nice...don't need any more snow , ice 20 degree days.

We like the panhandle area of WV. Close to shopping, medical care, other relatives in MD and away from the heavy traffic surrounding Washington, DC. We get four seasons (although this year's snow was a tad on the excessive side). I'm not a golfer so don't know what those expenses are, but we live in a golf course community and homes now go from ~$230k to $300k.

To get around golfing expenses, a couple of the neighbors are retired and work one or two days a week for minimum wage in the golf course's pro shop. As employees, they get free golf.

Back
Top Bottom