Could blog space be added, please?

PrivateCitizen

Confused about dryer sheets
I would like to start blogging about specific savings/retirement issues, but don't see a blogging place for this as I do on other forums. Could this feature be added to e-r.org? Thanks.

Well, you could start a thread, and we could have a conversation. We like having conversations! If you want to develop your own blog, you could provide a link to it in the thread. Unless it's primarily an ad, which is frowned upon.

I would like to start blogging about specific savings/retirement issues, but don't see a blogging place for this as I do on other forums. Could this feature be added to e-r.org? Thanks.

I always have difficulty when nouns are used as a verb. Could you direct me to a few of those "other forums" so I can understand how "blogging" is (or would be) used in this context?

I think he means something like this? It's a separate section in the forum.

Weight Loss Journals - Low Carb Friends

I have a blog myself that I started up a couple of months ago just to track my spending, thought processes, etc. and to look back and see how stupid I was. I think I have all of 5 readers and I have no clue about why they go there since it's not very entertaining. I put a link in my profile, but I suppose if someone wanted lots of comments and feedback, they could put a link in their signature line?

I think there are too many sites out there (Get Rich Slowly, The Simple Dollar, Wise Bread) that are very popular PF blogs that focus too much on getting out of debt, written by people that won't be able to retire any time in the foreseeable future and are blogging for a paycheque. They also definitely don't have the perspective of focusing on increasing your income as one of the best strategies for retiring early.

We like having conversations! If you want to develop your own blog, you could provide a link to it in the thread.

Yes, I prefer having a dialog to reading a monologue or a diatribe. I have only recently read some blogs on RV as I was in the process of educating myself on this subject, but as I know more about it, the novelty is wearing off. On the other hand, it is hard to predict what will happen in a forum like this!

I would like to start blogging...
I always have difficulty when nouns are used as a verb.

As blog is an invented word, it can be invented as a verb too. ;)

Oops, I just look at webster.com, which shows "blog" as a noun coming into being in 1999. Why, I just learned of this word a couple of years ago.

Engineers are notorious for using nouns as verbs. I myself try not to.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."
- Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. Through the Looking Glass.​

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. - William Jefferson Clinton​

Video? Me?
No, my lady, you go first!

There are plenty of free blogging sites, and you are welcome to put the link to your blog in your profile. Please refrain from blog spamming in posts or signature.

Our Community Rules state,

"Blog Spamming" is prohibited. A determination of whether any particular instance constitutes blog spamming shall be at the sole discretion of the moderators

Last edited:
Yeah, you wouldn't want to... uh ... say, converse.

I was going to start blogging for the Aviation Museum where I volunteer. I wrote a couple blogs and I realized the two problems I have with blogging.

I am lousy at proofreading my own work, and the semi-permanent nature of a blog, is less forgiving of grammatical errors. Second and more importantly, blogging is inherently an uneven communication. The blogger owner is the top dog and even in the somewhat unusual situation when there is a real dialogue going on in a blog, the blogger opinions get more weight.

A forum is much more egalitarian. In this forum the moderators posts aren't treated differently than anyone else. It is what you know and how you say it that matters, not some title like moderator or blog owner.

So I am happy to read someone blog if they have some specific knowledge or opinion that I find valuable, but for discussion I'll stick with the Roman tradition of a forum.

Clearly, I'm wasting my time here asking about blogs.

How about contributing to and becoming part of this very giving community?
Show that you have something worthwhile to say and people here will go to your blog irrespective of where you host it.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to... uh ... say, converse.

heh-heh, we used to have a number of posters here who seemed to just want to say something (usually very opinionated), and then would not want to discuss it (they mostly posted in the soapbox when that opened). I suggested a few times that they get a blog so they can say what they want w/o "intrusion" from others.

That happens only occasionally now. I don't understand it, but whatever floats your boat. I can see blogs for documenting something, or acting as a "diary" for an ongoing process. I think the blog link in the profile is a good enough option. I think it is OK to add a note in your sig for something like "see my profile for a link to my blog and other stuff about me"? If you are interested, take a look - easy enough to avoid if that is not your thing. I'd probably take a look if the content and writing style of the poster was interesting to see if they had anything to offer in a "documentary" format.

-ERD50

...or not.:D

heh-heh-heh - true, that would probably be the default option for me ;) But there are quite a number here that I would give a try. It could be interesting, as the "announcement" style could be be quite different from a "discussion" style. Maybe a different side of the poster would emerge.

OTOH, I already spend too much time at the computer ;)

Doesn't Danny have a "diner" blog? OAP had an "interesting" one >:D

-ERD50

Second and more importantly, blogging is inherently an uneven communication. The blogger owner is the top dog and even in the somewhat unusual situation when there is a real dialogue going on in a blog, the blogger opinions get more weight.
Years ago on this board, Dory gave H*cus his own forum to moderate. It was a short experiment and it came to an ugly end.

I think H* managed to hold out and be "fair and balanced" for almost 36 hours before he felt obliged to start editing/deleting people's posts to reflect what they really would have said if they truly understood what they were talking about...

Years ago on this board, Dory gave H*cus his own forum to moderate. It was a short experiment and it came to an ugly end.

I think H* managed to hold out and be "fair and balanced" for almost 36 hours before he felt obliged to start editing/deleting people's posts to reflect what they really would have said if they truly understood what they were talking about...

:LOL:

re: linking to blogs etc..

let me begin by saying i'm fine w/ the rules of the forums..

but.. as far as providing the best "quality of experience" in the forums
i don't see why how having one url link to your
personal blog or website as your signature is worse than the the 3 or four line
quote fests that people are fond of doing in their posts. i'd rather see
a small smiley sized "personal" link icon at the bottom of a post, or on the left
hand side column along w/ the poster name than multiple line long sig's with
quotes that i'm not really interested in seeing on every post.

In the spirit of 'why don't you make a thread for that' i would suggest
If you have quotes you'd like to share make a thread for that and post them
there.. I would enjoy reading them. once. :)

maybe somehow making the 'about me' link via the poster's name on the left
a little more apparent would do the trick..

is worse than the the 3 or four line
quote fests that people are fond of doing in their posts.

Yeah, like I've never been accused of passive/agressive behavior before. Pffft.

re: linking to blogs etc..
.. as far as providing the best "quality of experience" in the forums
i don't see why how having one url link to your
personal blog or website as your signature is worse than the the 3 or four line
quote fests that people are fond of doing in their posts. i'd rather see
a small smiley sized "personal" link icon at the bottom of a post, or on the left
hand side column along w/ the poster name than multiple line long sig's with
quotes that i'm not really interested in seeing on every post.

maybe somehow making the 'about me' link via the poster's name on the left
a little more apparent would do the trick..

I think links to personal websites should be in the profile area and/or the LINKS area of the forum...a link or a reference to a website tends to be intrusive under each post. However a sig under each post can be nice gives me a quick read on the person - if its been read before I don't usually reread unless I like it.

Back
Top Bottom