Has your nest egg fully recovered yet?

Maurice

Full time employment: Posting here.
I hit an interesting milestone. My net worth had peaked in May of 2008, just today I regained the peak net of new contributions.

I was down 30% at one point (late Feb 09).

Lets see how long it lasts.

The combination of market recovery and my continuing contributions have my 401K at an all-time high. My other largest account, a rollover IRA from a previous employer's 401K, is still almost 25% below its high (not having received any new money since 1999).

Interesting...I was in the same boat, but my low point was in March, 09.

Used it as an opportunity to restructure my portfolio and regained all I lost by last week. (No longer adding new $$ to the portfolio; but am not yet withdrawing from the stash, either...nonetheless, it's a lot more fun watching the numbers go up rather than experiencing that gut-wrenching fall last year!)

It's kind of difficult to say as I'm in the "decumulation" phase. However, had I not taken withdrawals from my portfolio I would still be down 6.5% from my 1/1/2008 total. I guess it could have been much worse.:whistle:

Not quite - still down 9.75% from peak of Oct 2007.

In March 2009 I was down 40% from peak.

Audrey

I keep only quarterly data for my retirement assets, while I keep monthly data for my non-retirement asets.

My combined assets peaked in the 3rd quarter of 2007. When I retired in November, 2008, I took a big payout from my company's ESOP. I had to pay about $75k in taxes on it, so I have not yet recovered from both that and the decline in overall values in 2008 and 2009. I am very nearly back to the high-water mark in 2007. Being retired prevents me from adding a lot to it even though my dividends exceed my expenses.

After getting back to my high-water mark (just under $1M), my next goal is to hit the $1M mark.

My nestegg has more than fully recovered in comparison with its prior high in July, 2008 (when I received the final distribution from my inheritance). I did not contribute to or withdraw from my taxable accounts from that time until my withdrawal earlier this week, but I did contribute to the TSP so that helped. Present share prices are not quite back to where they were in July, 2008, but the dividends from my taxable account more than made up for that.

I was absolutely delighted to discover that my present nestegg value not only exceeds its previous high, but exceeds my pre-crash projections as well.

It is as though the market crashes of 2008-2009 never happened. Amazing! What a great way to begin ER. :)

Last edited:
Down about 13% from October 2007. In decum phase, no new money in. So expenses are coming out of it, including capital items.

I'm still down from the peak, but it has come back far enough that I'm still on target to reach my goal for retirement for the fourth time. It almost makes me want to cash out the next time I hit my goal, but I'd still need to be invested through retirement in order for it to last. Also, I'd like to be well above my goal in case I'm wrong on my planning estimates.

I should point out that the first two times I hit my goal, my goal, based on a lot of uncertainty, was a lot higher. It's only been within the last two years that I had a firmer handle on the numbers.

The bad news:
We're still down about 10% from peak in June 2008. Living expenses included.

The good news:
We both got kicked out of the club. We can't even scare up a family membership.

I am back to peak net worth. A combination of new contributions, aggressive debt reduction and some very aggressive investing between 12/08 and 4/09 did it. I do not imagine I will ever borrow money to buy securities again, but it sure was lucrative.

You guys don't really want me in this thread do ya? :angel:

I've gotta be the absolute worst investor [-]in the universe[/-] on this board....and to tell the truth, I don't really know how far down I still am....

Let's see....BAC was at $55/sh....today [-]whoohooo!!![/-] almost $17/share....times 15,000 shares....:nonono:

Yep....still down.....but definitely up from $3.14/sh in March 2009 :sick:

Wonder if they'll EVER start payiing a dividend again??

Gotta go beat myself silly....and try to take something for the onset depression caused by thinkin' about this....:greetings10:

We must all be coming to this realization. When I did my year end net worth I also noticed we have reached our peak net worth again, previously it was Oct 07. Of course it's been through additional contributions, rebalancing and somewhat aggressive investing like others as well. Feels good to be back where we peaked once again...

OK... did not do the calc together...

One big portfolio is still down 15%

The smaller one (about 1/3rd the size of above) is still down 20%...

So probably down 17% total....

You guys don't really want me in this thread do ya? :angel:

I've gotta be the absolute worst investor [-]in the universe[/-] on this board....and to tell the truth, I don't really know how far down I still am....

Let's see....BAC was at $55/sh....today [-]whoohooo!!![/-] almost $17/share....times 15,000 shares....:nonono:

Yep....still down.....but definitely up from $3.14/sh in March 2009 :sick:

Wonder if they'll EVER start payiing a dividend again??

Gotta go beat myself silly....and try to take something for the onset depression caused by thinkin' about this....:greetings10:

Very good to see you back, you are a class act and were missed.

Glad to see you didn't sell at the bottom. I say (warning: dirty market timing advice next) hold your BAC and watch it hit 35 in 18 months. You will retire again my friend.

Still down from the peak in late 2007, but that was a nice run-up to that peak. So we're up from start of 2007.

I only keep quarterly summary data.

Peak was July 1, 07, as of Jan 1st it was 12.4% above that peak.

The lowest point was April 1, 09, as of Jan 1st it was 25.3% above that low.

I was still in the accumulation phase.

Yup, as of 12/31/09, our NW was slightly above our previous high, but that included continued contributions. We also shifted our AA aggressively into equities in early 2009; we're now back to our original moderate AA. Without the additional contributions, we would still be down a few percent.

Well since were counting new contributions, I'm going to count an inheritance I received from my aunt. I'm up 17% from my high in 2008.:) But for some reason I don't feel up. Backing that out I would be down around 7%. If I hadn't trimmed my stocks when the DOW rebounded to around 9,600, I would be fairly close. Oh well........

Well since were counting new contributions, I'm going to count an inheritance I received from my aunt. I'm up 17% from my high in 2008.:) But for some reason I don't feel up. Backing that out I would be down around 7%. If I hadn't trimmed my stocks when the DOW rebounded to around 9,600, I would be fairly close. Oh well........

Come on, man. I am still down 8.7% from my high in Oct 07, net of withdrawal. You are not doing badly at all.

I am up compared to 2005, but down about 10% compared 2006, 2007, and 2008

We're well ahead. Hong Kong did not get hit as hard as the US and recoverd earlier and stronger. Getting a lump sum pay out when I left my old job and throwing it all at equities near the market bottom helped a lot.

I think the high water mark for most is Oct. of 2007. I'm still down about 10% from that time.

Back
Top Bottom