When asked "What do you do", what do you say?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
At more than one social gathering with folks that I have never met and will probably not see again, it is not unusual for the above question to crop up along the way. I no longer just say, "I'm retired."

My standard response now goes something like this ~ "I manage a rather large estate using passive investing techniques and privileged high-speed Internet resources."

How do you handle this "problem"?

Wallet Inspector. Let's see 'em, its the law.

Yo! I'm my old lady's bitch.

Ha

At more than one social gathering with folks that I have never met and will probably not see again, it is not unusual for the above question to crop up along the way. I no longer just say, "I'm retired."

My standard response now goes something like this ~ "I manage a rather large estate using passive investing techniques and privileged high-speed Internet resources."

How do you handle this "problem"?

You know, people don't really care what others do. I think it's just a polite question to get conversation going, and perhaps gauge what you each have in common. (People who use the question to "rank" other people aren't even worth talking to, IMHO).

My husband says he's retired, but his wife is still working. Thus, turning the conversational focus to me :whistle: I then say I work for the Federal government and, just before this kills all chance of further conversation, I ask the other person, "So, what do you like to do?"

Mickey's response is creative but I suspect I'd crack up if I tried to give it :ROFLMAO:

Amethyst

Where I live -and given the life I lead- I´m not bound to meet new people. But if that is going to be the case, I´m sure I will say that I am a retiree. Phiysically I can pass for one:LOL:If I can help it I won´t say "early" retired- It draws envy/resentment:D!

Ha! Now that I hang around with old people all the time, this question NEVER comes up!!!!

Audrey

"I fix toilets for a living".

I like saying true things that misdirect, it's a perverse character flaw.

You know, people don't really care what others do. I think it's just a polite question to get conversation going, and perhaps gauge what you each have in common. (People who use the question to "rank" other people aren't even worth talking to, IMHO).
I tend to agree with this. It's small talk, something that can be used as a "get to know you a little" discussion without getting into intimate and contentious subjects.

You know, people don't really care what others do. I think it's just a polite question to get conversation going, and perhaps gauge what you each have in common. (People who use the question to "rank" other people aren't even worth talking to, IMHO).(snip)

Amethyst

I think so too. It's the post-collegiate equivalent of "what's your major?"

I'm a kept woman.:LOL::LOL::LOL: I'm usually laughing at my own joke so hard the conversation doesn't go any further.

(They don't need to know I'm "kept" at home eldercaring.)

If it's a situation where I do not know the person and it just seems like a polite question, I say 'I got lucky and retired early. Play lot's of golf.' But if they know I'm retired and seem to be picking I reply 'I'm doing what I do best, nothing.' ;)

When asked "What do you do", what do you say?

I say the same as what my [-]business[/-] contact card says.....I'm a "Connoisseur of Life".......plain...simple.....and the absolute truth!!! :greetings10:

"What do I do?"

If a former co-worker is asking, the answer is "As little as possible" or "Household Engineer" or "Domestic Program Manager" or a combination thereof. :LOL:

If a new acquaintance and/or not a former co-worker is asking, the answer is "Retired Engineer". That one still gets a double take even after all these years (being a female in a traditionally male field). ;)

I have some other "answers" that often pop out of my head, but I don't want to shock you all. :angel:

I always tell them the truth, that I work with "electronics stuff". Quite often, they nodded as if to say that I fitted the nerdy stereotype that they had in mind. And that didn't bother me a bit. And that's that.

Depends on mood.

Sometimes it's "I just try to stay out of jail" or "whatever DW tells me not to do".

I once used "I manage investments for individuals", that backfired a bit and I was forced to add "I only have time to handle one account".

Usually, I just say "whatever I want to" and let them guess.

Years ago, a friend was a cab driver. I heard someone ask him this and loved the reply "I'm in the charter transportation business".

I love saying "I'm retired"! The next comment is usually "but you're too young". My response is "you can never be too young, rich, or thin. I'm still working on the thin." :D

I love saying "I'm retired"! The next comment is usually "but you're too young". My response is "you can never be too young, rich, or thin. I'm still working on the thin." :D
That's great Harley! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I tend to agree with this. It's small talk, something that can be used as a "get to know you a little" discussion without getting into intimate and contentious subjects.

Absolutely. So, my response is "I am a retired oceanographer." That gives them something to ask about in order to get the conversation off the ground.

RVer's always ask each other where they have traveled lately. I like that ice-breaker much better!

Audrey

RVer's always ask each other where they have traveled lately. I like that ice-breaker much better!

Audrey

But I think it works well for RVers because they probably have traveled lately. I don't know if it would work so well in the general population. I don't have the wanderlust some folks do, and even after retirement I expect that my answer to a travel question will often be "I've mostly stayed pretty close to home".

But I think it works well for RVers because they probably have traveled lately. I don't know if it would work so well in the general population. I don't have the wanderlust some folks do, and even after retirement I expect that my answer to a travel question will often be "I've mostly stayed pretty close to home".
Sure, that's true. But it's one of the things I love about being in various RV communities. First of all, usually at least half the folks are retired anyway, so no one talks about work (which I always hated). And folks talk about travel more than most topics.

But sure, if that's not your scene then the small-talk wouldn't work for you!

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom