you don't need all your $ in a ROTH

perrytime

Recycles dryer sheets
In my opinion,
due to standard deductions and or self dependant status (did I say that right?), the first bit of income is in essence tax free. I think for a single person that would be about 8k, married 16k. So pull that much from regular IRA, rest from ROTH. No need to pay taxes putting all your $ into ROTH.
just my tax free 2 cents

This would be in keeping with the conventional wisdom here about the order of withdrawing for retirement income: Take it first from your IRAs and 401Ks as long as you remain in a low tax bracket, and then draw from Roths and taxable accounts when additional income would kick you into the next tax bracket.

I'm trying to build all three piles myself (conventional 401K/IRA, Roths and taxable brokerages), because I want the maximum flexibility in drawing income and because I'm hedging my bets on what tax policy will be in 15-20 years or more.

Another thought for some folks is to do some coversion of monies from regular IRAs to Roth. YMMV, and you have to look at state and federal taxes that may come into play, but pretty much everyone thinks that taxes will be quite a bit higher in the future.

I'll be doing something similar, filling a low tax bracket with 401k/IRA withdrawals and pulling the rest from a Roth. Also a bunch of Roth conversions before SS/pension income kicks in, again filling the tax bracket. Won't be tax free, but it will minimize taxes during retirement and looks like my optimum withdrawal strategy.

So pull that much from regular IRA, rest from ROTH. No need to pay taxes putting all your $ into ROTH.
just my tax free 2 cents

That is a good point to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom