Any deals on Quicken and Turbotax ?

Delawaredave5

Full time employment: Posting here.
Every year I dread trying to re-understand which Turbotax 2009 I need (Basic, Deluxe, Premiere, etc) and also which Quicken 2010.

Then comes the challenge of feeling comfortable I got a good deal at the right time... and understand rebates....

Think I bought the two combined at Costco last year.

Anybody find any deals / have strategies ?

Thanks !

troweprice.com offers a 25% discount on Turbotax. Not sure if you need to be a customer to get that.

I bought 2010 Quicken from Amamzon.com in Dec and found the best price there.- about $15 cheaper than elsewhere at the time,

Everybody sells for about the same price. I also downloaded from Amazon in December. It was the same discounted price as that found at Vanguard, TRowePrice, and other brokers. Check your own broker's web site.

As for which version, I buy the minimum that gives me a state tax return. I usually do not e-file, but they bundle e-file since last year to make more money. I cannot imagine needing Premiere and Basic has everything. I think Deluxe comes with a state return. You can always buy Basic and upgrade online if you think you need it.

What is even more clever for Intuit is that the stores around here (a no-income-tax state) are filled with Deluxe which comes with a state return. I bet that at least 80% of folks buy that and never use the state return.

I've seen the ads for free turbotax for basic fed. returns. Is the basic not adequate? I understand there is a cost for the state return.

I've seen the ads for free turbotax for basic fed. returns. Is the basic not adequate? I understand there is a cost for the state return.

The only free TT Basic that I've seen, is for the 'online' version only.....a.k.a. not installable software version.

I've been on the autorenewal program for TurboTax Premier since 2003, when I was the sole proprietor of a home based small business. The business was closed out as of 2006.

I did not know that VG had a discount program available. Thanks to you folks, I do now. :D

I will remove myself from the direct renewal program with Intuit and access the downloadable TurboTax through VG for 2010.

FYI: Price paid for installable (not online) software, NY state return included, TurboTax Premier in Intuit's direct renewal program, was $89.95 plus sales tax of $7.87 for a total of $97.82, per my receipt dated 11/07/09. Shipping of installation CD was included in $89.95 price.

VG's price for exact same product is $67.46 per VG's site, as of today. I am assuming this is downloadable, i.e. no CD media will be shipped. Sales tax status unknown.

The only free TT Basic that I've seen, is for the 'online' version only.....a.k.a. not installable software version.
Is it necessary to have the installable software version? What is wrong with using the online version?

The online versions are available for about half the download price. So unless you're doing more than one return you could save some by using the online premier TT for $32.45 or even deluxe for $19.45. BofA is giving the 35% discount too <see their homepage might even be able to link if you don't have account>. Some financial institutions have 25% and a few have the 35% discounts. Sooo, pays to check until you find one.
There are a number of free services out there and you can always double check them with TT or TC, if you start TT/TC for free as they suggest and then just don't finish filing with them. Our state has a free filing for their income tax I've used for several years. They are fairly quick and easy. But, I make sure their numbers match the unfiled numbers I get from TT/TC.

Is it necessary to have the installable software version? What is wrong with using the online version?
Good question. Here's some more for any existing online users...

Where is your data stored for the online tax prep program sites?

How many times can a person return online to do the taxes in successive sessions as tax documents arrive by snail mail? Or is it necessary to do the entire return in a single online session?

Any responses are greatly appreciated. :flowers:

You don't have to do it in one session. You set up user name and password - start - stop - finish when you wish, if you get a new tax doc just go back in and add it. NO limit I'm aware of. E-file when you're done - download copies (pdf) to store/back-up and print hard copies as desired. If you owe even wait to file, until last minute if you want.

Been doing it for myself and two of my kids for years. Haven't paid a nickle for tax prep or SW for several years now. ymmv

I need to use TurboTax to do a bunch of "What if?" scenarios throughout the year, so I want it on my computer instead of only online.

I did my taxes today online using Tax Act . It went pretty quickly but I am finding out that each year in retirement my taxes have been different . I'm sure this has to do with selling stock so I have to figure out how to level it . Should I also take my dividends from my IRA instead of having them be reinvested so I can avoid selling stock ? Currently I am only taking the dividends from my taxable account .

I've used both the installed software versions as well as the 'online' versions in the past. I didn't notice much, if any, difference between them. (TT as well as others also)
I need to use TurboTax to do a bunch of "What if?" scenarios throughout the year, so I want it on my computer instead of only online.
Like LOL!, that's one reason I preferred the 'installed' version, over the 'online' version. Plus, I have a 'trust' issue with online stuff....as in....I have a hard time trusting online stuff for security reasons. It may all be in my head, a figment of my imagination, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in online security. There have been too many "Oops! Your identity/privacy/etc. has been breached!" cases over the years for my peace of mind. But that's just me, and YMMV. :)
-----------------------------------
Anymore, my taxes are fairly simple, so the last couple of years I just downloaded the PDF files of the 1040 or 1040A forms and the instruction book from the IRS website, and the appropriate forms from the IL Dept. of Revenue and skip the tax-prep software all together.

If you're with Vanguard, you might qualify for the desktop version of TurboTax Basic or Deluxe for FREE and more advanced versions for a substantial discount. I got TT Deluxe 2009 for free, free is good.

If you're with Vanguard, you might qualify for the desktop version of TurboTax Basic or Deluxe for FREE and more advanced versions for a substantial discount. I got TT Deluxe 2009 for free, free is good.

I just finished working on our taxes through Vanguard's site with TT Deluxe (yes, free is very good :) ), all done online through the TT site. I'm choosing not to worry about security issues--focusing instead on why I had a bit too much withheld last year ($9,000 refund--oops).

I've used both the installed software versions as well as the 'online' versions in the past. I didn't notice much, if any, difference between them. (TT as well as others also)

Like LOL!, that's one reason I preferred the 'installed' version, over the 'online' version. Plus, I have a 'trust' issue with online stuff....as in....I have a hard time trusting online stuff for security reasons. It may all be in my head, a figment of my imagination, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in online security. There have been too many "Oops! Your identity/privacy/etc. has been breached!" cases over the years for my
Security: I'm totally in sync with the online security issues. :cool:
Timing: I like the installed version right on my laptop so I control when I can do taxes, not being subject to a web site's reliability.
Modelling: I also use the installed tax software version (after I do my actual taxes) in direct concert with some "what if" portfolio modelling at Morningstar. It provides a good guess-timate of tax implications for any planned exchanges or sales and gives me a rough idea of TLH actions I may need to take.
Technology control: The transfer of last year's data feature is more reliable with my tax files right on my laptop. Local storage also gives me complete over date file backup, not the case with a public web site.

To each their own...:flowers:

I just finished working on our taxes through Vanguard's site with TT Deluxe (yes, free is very good :) ), all done online through the TT site. I'm choosing not to worry about security issues--focusing instead on why I had a bit too much withheld last year ($9,000 refund--oops).

Last year I owed so I upped the amount taken out of my pension and now this year I'm getting $3,000 back . After much investigation I have figured out what happened . Now I have to figure out what to do with any extra $3000 ?:)

I can understand people avoiding online tax preparation for security reasons -- I avoid it, also. But the fact of the matter is that the data is out there already. Banks, brokerage houses, IRS (think e-file), credit card companies, credit reporting agencies...

There is something to be said for not using online services when there is a "totally secure" alternative. But a company like Intuit that hosts an online service that uses private data is going to make a pretty darn good effort to keep the data with which they are entrusted secure. I would be very surprised if Intuit does not have regular independent security audits.
Imagine what a headline like "Intuit Reports Data Breach: 75,000 SSN's Stolen" would do for their business. Tax prep is probably easier to secure than something like credit card transactions where your card number and information associated with it go through a number of different places before the transaction is complete.

freebird
Security: Please - If you're on this site with the same system you use for taxes, you're more susceptible to a data mining attack than any online service. So I guess for the truly paranoid run sw on a standalone system that is never connected to any device that is connected to the internet. Of course, this precludes any of the handy download of financial info in the software.

Timing: I've never experienced an online service outage. I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps at times some would get sluggish based on the number of users, but I haven't really had any significant problems.

Modeling: I've run what-ifs etc with online sw. Even done some 'annonymously'.

Technological Control: Only a complete noob or idiot doesn't download a copy of the finished return, including all worksheets, etc. Backing this up does not take any extra effort and making a hard copy will insure against any queer electrons. Worst case I have to reenter personal info the next year, if I decide to change services or NOT pay the 'deluxe feature' fee. It takes maybe an extra 5 or 10 minutes at the most and it is sometimes the price to be paid for 'free'. Your typed response above took more time than reentering personal data would and I doubt if you were paid for it...

Back
Top Bottom