Insurance Through AARP?

ksr

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, I'm about to turn the big 5-0 and just received the much-coveted invitation to join AARP. :LOL:

I'm not all that inclined to spring for the $16, unless there is some value in purchasing health or other insurance through them. Has anyone purchased insurance (or anything else of value) through AARP? I'm not looking for travel incentives, but anything else that might make it worth the $16. Thanks.

Seeing as AARP generally gets kickbacks and commissions through AARP-branded insurance actually underwritten by other insurers, you *might* be able to do better by going direct with the underlying insurer (or even another insurer).

The AARP label on insurance is like added expenses on a mutual fund in some sense.

Then again, I'm not a fan of AARP so take it with a grain of salt.

Many moons ago when I turned 50, I took advantage of a one-time deal to join the AARP and get a 10 year membership for something like $25. When my ten years was up I didn't renew. I suppose the magazine, which is somewhat interesting, was worth $2.50 a year, but that's about it.

Well, I'm about to turn the big 5-0 and just received the much-coveted invitation to join AARP. :LOL:

Don't get too excited. AARP will be mailing you stuff yearly for the next 10 years or more, even if you [-]do not fall for their trick, succumb to a bout of stupidity, [/-] do not enroll as a member.

Don't get too excited. AARP will be mailing you stuff yearly for the next 10 years or more, even if you [-]do not fall for their trick, succumb to a bout of stupidity, [/-] do not enroll as a member.
I was wondering how persistent they were going to be about this thing. It's all shredder fodder so far, but I have been considering mailing it back to them with the notation: "I'm not interested".

I suppose the magazine, which is somewhat interesting, was worth $2.50 a year, but that's about it.
Our public library has a free magazine exchange table that we regularly sort through for magazines we might want to read but are too cheap to buy.

Last week as I approached the pile I noticed that instead of cover photos of People's & Cosmo's teenyboppers and 20-somethings, there were lots of pictures of icons from my generation! Wow! What great magazine could this be?!?

AARP. Bleagh...

For the last 7 years I have received the best rates for auto/homeowners combined. The magazine sucks btw.

I found a low cost HSA health plan that AARP offered from Aenta that fit my needs. It was lower in cost than any plan I could get directly from Aetna. I also used AARP for home owners insurance (The Hartford) but it only lasted one year. Hartford offered a nice initial (teaser) rate then jacked up my rate 20% the next year so I dropped them.

Yearly? Yesterday I got TWO pieces of junk mail from them, and I am not even a member. Next I expect to find the top dude at AARP lying on my doorstep aiming a long, sharp daggar at his chest, threatening to off himself if I don't join immediately. :rolleyes:

Joined when I turned 50 and started paying attention to what they were all about. found out they are not what they make out to be. they are a for profit group that does not have the 50+ interest at heart. but that is just my opinion. I always shop around and get better deals than they can offer. by the way I dropped the membership after 3 years.

Just dropped my membership in AARP due to their support of the now defunct Health Bill.

I'm a member solely for the hotel/motel discounts we get. I have never bought any of their insurance because I have done better on my own. Their politics is annoying, but not bad enough to get me to give up the hotel/motel discounts.

I'm a member solely for the hotel/motel discounts we get. I have never bought any of their insurance because I have done better on my own. Their politics is annoying, but not bad enough to get me to give up the hotel/motel discounts.

I take advantage of their hotel and rental car discounts, too, but I don't think anyone has ever asked me to prove membership.

Our health care package by United Health Care and is labeled AARP/Medicare Complete from Secure Horizons. I inquired a couple years ago about the tie to AARP and was told that is is no affiliation. United Health Care pays a fee to AARP in order to use their name on their product. That's the American way isn't it? If you haven't got a big name on which to tie your product, you pay somebody to use their name and boost your image. It's a joke. l like the health care package but I'm paying for United Health Care to use the AARP identity.

Just dropped my membership in AARP due to their support of the now defunct Health Bill.
Their support of Health Care and Insurance Reform is one of the primary reasons that I keep my AARP membership! ;)
I'm a member solely for the hotel/motel discounts we get.....
I take advantage of their hotel and rental car discounts, too, but I don't think anyone has ever asked me to prove membership.
I take advantage of the AARP hotel/motel savings also! It's saving us quite a bit of money on our current trip....averaging at least $20 per night, for a majority of our 19 total nights......over $300 savings! :clap:

I've also taken advantage of the rental car discounts over the last couple of years too. Every buck that I can save through discounts, is more money that I have available to blow on fun stuff...and food!!! :D

As for the insurance offers from AARP....I don't need any of it, so I just ignore it. ;)

I have been with USAA Insurance located in San Antonio, TX for 35+ years.
Began with them when I was in the military, ...no longer a requirement.
They insure my houseS, carS, have Savings and Checking accounts, have a JUMBO Mortgage with them at low interest rate. They have followed me to South Korea, Kansas, Texas , California, North Carolina, Connecticut, Georgia.
USAA provides full financial services,...ATM anywhere at no charge, they credit my account for any other banks charges.
They have a Financial Planning team available, $800 per year....I don't use it, but it is there.

I was a member for a few years, mainly because of motel and hotel discounts. No motel/hotel rep EVER asked to see my AARP membership card. Then I found out that I could get the same rates just by asking for a senior citizen discount.

I have been with USAA Insurance located in San Antonio, TX for 35+ years.
Began with them when I was in the military, ...no longer a requirement.

Are you sure this is no longer a requirement?

Are you sure this is no longer a requirement?

I've been with USAA for about 40 years - a great company.

Originally you had to be an officer/former officer to belong. Over the years the eligibility has been loosened so that now all active duty, Reserve and Guard personnel of all grades are eligible. Veterans are also eligible; so are children of members. Anyone can use their banking and investment services and, I think, buy life insurance (but not auto or other casualty insurance.

A few years ago I comparison shopped GEICO auto insurance vs. USAA and found I could probably save some money with GEICO. But I stuck with USAA out of loyalty.

Note: a one-for-one comparison is not easy to make because USAA refunds money to you every year from your "Subscriber's Savings Account." Since they can't (or won't) tell you how much of what is placed in your SSA from auto insurance vs. homeowners, life, etc, it's virtually impossible to make an exact comparison.

friar1610 thanks for the detailed clarification on USAA insurance. I spoke with USAA, and that is exactly what they told me.

Their support of Health Care and Insurance Reform is one of the primary reasons that I keep my AARP membership! ;)

;)

They would probably fine you if you didn't buy a membership. That would be ok, right?:ROFLMAO:

.....No motel/hotel rep EVER asked to see my AARP membership card. Then I found out that I could get the same rates just by asking for a senior citizen discount.
Two of the four hotels that we have stayed at (and currently staying in one of them) has asked to see my AARP card at check-in (also both are in the same chain). The desk clerk said they couldn't give a senior discount without it. The other two hotels (a different chain) didn't ask to see it.

A few years ago I comparison shopped GEICO auto insurance vs. USAA and found I could probably save some money with GEICO. But I stuck with USAA out of loyalty.

Probably a good move. My experience with GEICO is that they offer a low 'teaser' rate the first year to get your business then you'll start seeing 10-20% yearly increases. I am very happy with Progressive, I've not had any tickets or accidents and my rate has not changed in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom