Amoxicillin is amoxicillin?

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello all,

Not 100% sure, but I think I read an article 5 to 10 years ago written by some doctor/scientist (or some one with authority in the drug field) stating that there is absolutely no difference between various version of amoxicillin (human, dog, horse, fish...). The main point of the article was that pharmaceutical companies created different flavor so they can maximize their profit ($2/pill would be too expensive for a dog).

I have been googling for that article but have not found it yet. Have you seen it before? Links?

Thanks,
Sam

Hello all,

Not 100% sure, but I think I read an article 5 to 10 years ago written by some doctor/scientist (or some one with authority in the drug field) stating that there is absolutely no difference between various version of amoxicillin (human, dog, horse, fish...). The main point of the article was that pharmaceutical companies created different flavor so they can maximize their profit ($2/pill would be too expensive for a dog).

I have been googling for that article but have not found it yet. Have you seen it before? Links?

Thanks,
Sam

Haven't seen it, but have used human brand Amoxicillin for the cats and cat opthalmic ointment for me. IIRC, the opthalmic ointment was $60 for an itty bitty tube for people and $9 for the same size tube with the same ingredients from the feed store for feline use. Figure sanitary production is sanitary production....

We used to go through quite a bit of Amoxicillin here - smuggled much of it across the border from Mexico.

Before I had good insurance I used to buy amoxicillin from the fish store for my sore throats, etc. At first the caps just said amoxicillin, 500 mg (or 250 mg, I can't remember for sure.) Later they said- for aquarium use only.

No problems from the use, other than pinkish gills.

ha

They may be all the same, but I'll take the one from the human bottle please ;)

Before I had good insurance I used to buy amoxicillin from the fish store for my sore throats, etc. At first the caps just said amoxicillin, 500 mg (or 250 mg, I can't remember for sure.) Later they said- for aquarium use only.

No problems from the use, other than pinkish gills.

ha

It seems me that amoxicillin for fish was more expensive than the human a variety. Or maybe it was just that cost of the stuff was more than the fish, and since the dumb fished still died 1/2 the time... Euthanasia seemed like a better idea.

In a similar vein, for those of you with multiple cats, who use a flea medicine like Advantage or Frontline, you definitely can safe money by buying the stuff for the big dogs and splitting the dosage among the cats.

aquarium pills have probably been on the shelf forever. you basically are unsure of the dosage that you are taking.

aquarium pills have probably been on the shelf forever. you basically are unsure of the dosage that you are taking.

Except that they had a date on them. Anyway, now I can afford Drs and drugs, so I don't take fish pills anymore. But I believe that experience is stronger than conjecture, and my experience was that they worked.

Ha

Interesting contrast between pet and human costs. I just got an ultrasound and it was $450. A few weeks ago pooch got one and it was less than a hundred. I know, I know, years and years of meidcal school, lawsuits, insurance costs.......

Back
Top Bottom