Anyone else get their TSP annual statement?

Bimmerbill

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got mine. 26.23% personal investment performance for 2009. Total in my account still has not reached what I had in 2007 tho.

No, I haven't got mine. I just retired and was told to contact TSP one month after retirement to change my address. Hopefully the secretary at my former workplace will send it to me.

My TSP went up substantially more than my (maxed out plus over-50) contributions from Jan 2008 to Jan 2010, but then being close to retirement I moved into 100% "G Fund" at some point during that time. Seems like a good place to keep part of my bond allocation.

I am retired now, so on January 5th I mailed off the forms requesting full withdrawal via equal monthly payments. The first one was direct deposited just three weeks later, on January 26th, so I was pretty happy about that.

I keep track of my TSP performance by logging in to look at my account balance frequently. I don't even know if I get statements from them any more - - if getting them electronically is an option, then I opted for that. No sense in wasting trees for something I wouldn't use.

Spouse's "S" fund is now worth what she's paid for it over the last decade...

Spouse's "S" fund is now worth what she's paid for it over the last decade...

Wow!! How awful. S Fund was increasing nicely in 2003-2006 or so, and I had my entire TSP in S and I during that time and cleaned up. But before the crash I got out of S and I, and into G because I was getting ready to retire. Guess I was lucky to have done that.

Just got mine. 26.23% personal investment performance for 2009. Total in my account still has not reached what I had in 2007 tho.
I'm probably more aggressive, 34.7%, but like you I'm still below e/o 2007.
But a 10%+ return will me get be back to to 2007.
Understand the younger members probably already back to 2007 levels
because their balances are small compared to deposits.
TJ

My 2009 Personal Investment Performance was 10.03%. I retired 6/2/06, but have not touched it yet. I have mine in the L2010 Fund. I have reached the age where I am happy with 10.03%. I would love to have a higher percentage, but don't want the added risk. I need to be able to sleep well at night.

Wow!! How awful. S Fund was increasing nicely in 2003-2006 or so, and I had my entire TSP in S and I during that time and cleaned up. But before the crash I got out of S and I, and into G because I was getting ready to retire. Guess I was lucky to have done that.
Now that you're retired, you bet it was the right decision!

She has another 12 years to go before she's even able to touch it, let alone decide what she wants to do with it.

Now that you're retired, you bet it was the right decision!

She has another 12 years to go before she's even able to touch it, let alone decide what she wants to do with it.

It'll come back up to a very nice amount by then, I'm sure! :D

My TSP is not what I had hoped at one point in time, though it did increase every year. Still, it is a good, solid amount. Now that I am retired, my TSP is the backbone of my retirement, my bread and butter. The rest is icing on the cake.

(OK, ok, mixed metaphors but at least they are all food! :duh:)

My TSP went up substantially more than my (maxed out plus over-50) contributions from Jan 2008 to Jan 2010, but then being close to retirement I moved into 100% "G Fund" at some point during that time. Seems like a good place to keep part of my bond allocation.

I am retired now, so on January 5th I mailed off the forms requesting full withdrawal via equal monthly payments. The first one was direct deposited just three weeks later, on January 26th, so I was pretty happy about that.

I keep track of my TSP performance by logging in to look at my account balance frequently. I don't even know if I get statements from them any more - - if getting them electronically is an option, then I opted for that. No sense in wasting trees for something I wouldn't use.

With you 100% on this W2R. I moved it all into the G fund shortly before retirement and check my account on line regularly. I get paper statements from time to time but don't pay attention to them so much since I keep track of my account on the TSP website.

The one difference is I haven't opted for the regular withdrawals yet. The TSP just seems like an attractive place to keep funds plus, until DH takes the plunge into retirement, so need to yet. Once he does, I think I'd be inclined to touch other funds first since the TSP (IMHO) is such a good deal.

With you 100% on this W2R. I moved it all into the G fund shortly before retirement and check my account on line regularly. I get paper statements from time to time but don't pay attention to them so much since I keep track of my account on the TSP website.

The one difference is I haven't opted for the regular withdrawals yet. The TSP just seems like an attractive place to keep funds plus, until DH takes the plunge into retirement, so need to yet. Once he does, I think I'd be inclined to touch other funds first since the TSP (IMHO) is such a good deal.

I think that's an excellent strategy, Purron. I do like the TSP as a place for my money, although after age 70.5 there are RMD's requiring that we withdraw a specified portion each year. For me, age 70.5 is less than nine years away.

I will still have most of my TSP intact when I reach that age (since I will rely more on SS and less on TSP once I begin drawing SS). Maybe not so good to have a large TSP balance at age 70.5 due to the required taxable income, but then who knows what the tax laws will be like then?

Maybe not so good to have a large TSP balance at age 70.5 due to the required taxable income, but then who knows what the tax laws will be like then?

True and the same thing applies to IRAs. Got a lot of funds in those too. I figure I'll keep hanging around here to help me figure it all out when the time comes:)

Maybe not so good to have a large TSP balance at age 70.5 due to the required taxable income, but then who knows what the tax laws will be like then?
People were probably saying that in late 2007/early 2008, too...

Mine was 20.11%.

My investment allocation was:
G - 15%
F - 20%
C - 30%
S - 20%
I - 15%

I changed that during the year though. I added the G fund this year, I didn't use to invest in it.

I just looked and my 2007 PIP was 6.11%. I'm up about 4.6% from my 2007 amount.

24.27% for me in 2009...of course, it was -32.23% in 2008. I've maxed out the TSP every year since mid-2003 and, according to my 2009 annual statement, have only made about $6,000 over and above my contributions in that time...not a real earth shattering rate of return.

Mostly in C Fund (since we CSRS folks don't rely on TSP for retirement income). Have a bit in all the other funds, as well. Unfortunately the portfolio is about 10% below what I've put into it. Should have converted to G Fund 2 years ago....just like should have sold real estate etc. Shoulda shoulda shoulda.** Good thing I'm still working :blush:

A.

**If American isn't your 1st language - that's pronounced "Shooda shooda," not "shoulder shoulder." :)

My tsp is $51123.60 over what my lifetime contributions have been.

Thanks. I contributed the max (that I was allowed to under CSRS) to the TSP since the beginning and also the catch up contribution. I was in the G fund until my boss teased me about being so conservative at the time. I switched to mostly the C Fund with small amounts to S Fund and I Fund during most of the 90s. Then when my funds started going south and being that I took early retirement, the L2010 started looking real good to me.

My lifetime contrib is $66K, but account is $180K. I don't think they count my other IRAs/401Ks I rolled in to the TSP.

12% G
35% C
22% S
31% I

My 2009 return was 20.26%, was in L2020 and L2010 most of the year, now C 40%, G 40%, S 5%, and I 15%, no F Fund. I have rolled over other IRAs into the TSP and made a one time withdrawal from the TSP into an IRA when I retired. I am now taking monthly withdrawals. Because of these I do not know my return on investment but I like the TSP especially the G Fund, maybe the only bond fund I need.

My lifetime contrib is $66K, but account is $180K. I don't think they count my other IRAs/401Ks I rolled in to the TSP.

If the IRA/401K was rolled into the TSP in 2009, it should be shown in Your Annual Account Summary under Transfers/Rollovers. If it was made prior to 2009, I would assume that it would be included in the Opening Balance as of Jan 1, 2009 and Closing Balance as of Dec 31, 2009. I don't really know, since I never rolled over anything into my TSP.

Your account balance is higher than mine. I was CSRS, so the gov never put anything into my account or matched anything. Wish mine were higher, but I am also thankful for my CSRS pension.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my TSP annual statement in the mail today.

What a waste of trees! It doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom