Offered a job today

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
I got a call today out of the blue with a part time job offer. It was in my former field of work and the company needed someone to help out for about a month or two. It would be around 8 to 10 hours a day. The problem is they would not start the job until spring. I told them I would rather go golfing.

It's nice to be offered, but don't they understand some of us arn't going to work by choice.:)

I think that is a perfect job offer! Something to let you know that your skills are still wanted and needed, but something that also gives you the opporunity to say, "No thanks! I'm happy with my decision to retire."

Golf sounds like a MUCH better choice to me, too.

They were probably really surprised that you didn't jump on the job offer, due to the nationwide unemployment crisis and so on. Who wouldn't want a job? :LOL:

And what a generous and patriotic sacrifice for the good of the economy. Now maybe they'll have to find someone on unemployment who really needs the work! :)

Doesn't it feel great to be able to say, 'no...I don't wanna'....

dm, I'm finding since I semi-retired a month ago, that I too am getting these contract job offers out of left field - three of them in the last month. They're tempting to me - I guess it's the devil I know.

My only concern is that I might want to earn some extra money for traveling or other luxuries down the road and don't want to lose my contacts or my skills. Also, I worry that once I get a bit older, I'll no longer be seen as being as hire-able as I am now. Although I don't personally think it's an issue, once one gets over 50ish, I've heard that people have problems finding work in their fields when they need it. Especially if they've been out of the market for awhile. And I'd rather work for a couple of months and make an extra $25k+ than be a walmart greeter all year making the same.

dm, I'm finding since I semi-retired a month ago, that I too am getting these contract job offers out of left field - three of them in the last month. They're tempting to me - I guess it's the devil I know.

My only concern is that I might want to earn some extra money for traveling or other luxuries down the road and don't want to lose my contacts or my skills. Also, I worry that once I get a bit older, I'll no longer be seen as being as hire-able as I am now. Although I don't personally think it's an issue, once one gets over 50ish, I've heard that people have problems finding work in their fields when they need it. Especially if they've been out of the market for awhile. And I'd rather work for a couple of months and make an extra $25k+ than be a walmart greeter all year making the same.

I did work for a week to fill in for someone on vacation about 6 month's after I retired. I would have done this job if it was only for a week or two. But a month or more is just to much time to lose for me. And if they paid me say $16,000 a month, after taxes say there is $10,000 left. Not enough to really change my lifestyle at this point.

I am 52 now and do realize that there won't be many more of these offer's. But I am happy with my current lifestyle, and have some cushion. I'm pretty sure I can make it without the extra 10 grand, but I dont know how many summers I'll be able to play.

Back
Top Bottom