What is your "Free Gift" threshold?

Zero

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was given a certificate to mail in to get a $10 gift card at a place of my choice (Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc). I chose to toss it out and the wife asked why.

I explained that getting out an envelope, pen, paper, spending time writing address, purchase info, doing the envelope and stamp, then posting it, was to much effort for $10.

What is your threshold, and BTW, any tips on where the freebies are these days?

I would have done that for $10. And if it's not something I'm interested in, if it were transferable I'd give it to a friend who could use it and they could jump through the hoops.

I 've done it for $3.00 . I bought Hasbro games for my SO's grand kids that had a $3.00 rebate . The rebate came and it was the monopoly guy on a $3.00 visa card .It was so cute I hated to use it . I often do surveys for $10.00 amazon gift cards .

I think the $10 must have been my threshold cause I almost sent it in but if it were $15 for sure I would have.

But it really looked like about a 20 minute effort. Finding things, doing the writing and stuff. So I was a bit guilty to just toss away $10.

Next time. But $3? I hope that was a while ago. :LOL:

I still kneel down to pick up a penny off the floor. So, yes, a $10 debit card would be worth my time. I would even take the time to turn the card in at the bank for cash.

It's not like I'm being paid for my time off. When I'm home, I have to do plenty of tedious chores for no pay.

Moe, do you have to buy something at Amazon to be offered the survey where they pay you $10? I have never gotten that offer when I've been on the Amazon site.

Amethyst

I often do surveys for $10.00 amazon gift cards .

Do you mind sharing where you can do those surveys?

I do online survey through E-Rewards (I think that is their name) and very small amounts of money get credited and you can get different things. I am currently getting a subscription to Prevention magazine, which I enjoy reading, for free.

I definitely would have done the $10.00 certificate. I do coupons on a hit or miss basis. It feels good when I have a bunch of coupons and use them. It feels like free money.

I, also, still pick up a penny in the street. For $10 I'd sing a little song with it while I mailed it in.:whistle:

Moe, do you have to buy something at Amazon to be offered the survey where they pay you $10? I have never gotten that offer when I've been on the Amazon site.

Amethyst

It is not through Amazon . It's not E rewards but something similar to that .It may be called E surveys . The surveys take around twenty minutes and they pay you with an Amazon gift card . If I think of the name of it I'll PM it to you .

...too much effort for $10.

Threshold unknown to date. :cool:
I am a sucker for any kind of freebie, as long as I don't have to give out anything more than my address and my public (not private home) email.
For instance...

Mars (candy makers) did a free chocolate coupon giveaway a while back. All I had to do is register, login every Friday, and lo and behold, a coupon for $0.85 would arrive by snail mail. I did this for about 3 months. I really enjoyed paying $0.15 for a single package of M&Ms. It was so retro! :LOL: They finally stopped the promotion. :(

There is a free website at www.heyitsfree.com that is pretty funny. [If I just violated a forum rule, please edit the link out] The webmaster is a real character.

It is not through Amazon . It's not E rewards but something similar to that .It may be called E surveys . The surveys take around twenty minutes and they pay you with an Amazon gift card . If I think of the name of it I'll PM it to you .

Me too, please.

Ha

I, also, still pick up a penny in the street. For $10 I'd sing a little song with it while I mailed it in.:whistle:
I used to but I decided that it is not worth the slightly increased risk of being mugged. I like to walk down the street with my eyes checking what is going on at the people level, not on the pavement.

Ha

It depends how much it takes to get the "free" or "discount" goods. More than a few minutes work for US$10 is not currently worth it to me given working hours etc

I expect my approach to change once I stop working - having no income should affect my perspective

It depends how much it takes to get the "free" or "discount" goods. More than a few minutes work for US$10 is not currently worth it to me given working hours etc

I expect my approach to change once I stop working - having no income should affect my perspective

"Discount" goods.:cool: Is Golden Computing still operating? I used to fly to HK, get a room at Chung King Mansions $16-20, hit Golden Computing for a few, "errr, ummm" disks and fly out feeling like I had scored bigtime. Maybe some antibiotics and a few other more exotic meds.

But it really looked like about a 20 minute effort. Finding things, doing the writing and stuff. So I was a bit guilty to just toss away $10.

Lessee... $10 for 20 minutes is $30/hour, tax free.

Yup, I'd do it.

How is that tax free?

Is that not required to be claimed on federal, state and local income tax returns?

Sure it's required. But does anyone actually remember to? Doing the tax return this year I included a source for $8.34, but only because we received the 1099DIV for it as a reminder. But the only way the store would be able to do that is to get my SS # and that ain't gonna happen.

Confession: I didn't report the free Coke from Jerry's Sub Shop as income either. Somehow I don't think the IRS cares.

I received a gift card from Staples for $10 off on purchased over $75. I could go and stock up on printer paper. My LBYM tells me to make a purchase, but my body tells me the idea of hauling all the paper isn't worth saving the $10 :)

One cent. They're all around you but you have to look for them.

Spouse was stationed at Lajes Azores in the 1980s. The command was so small that all hands did the daily FOD* walkdowns-- even the officers. She had about 18 months' occupational training in the skill of spotting small objects laying on the ground.

25 years later, on our walks she can still spot a coin on the ground at 20 feet. Inspired by her fiscal example I've managed to improve my detection threshold, but I'm going to need a lot more practice. We even vary our walking routes to avoid overfishing the same waters.

There's no fiscal necessity (as far as I can tell), but I enjoy the competitive challenge and the entertainment factor.

As for the "eeeuw" factor, Amy Dacyczyn used to desensitize frugal newbies by asking them if they'd pick up a $20 bill laying on the ground. Then she'd ask if they'd pick it off the top of a dumpster. What if it was hanging out from the dumpster lid? How about sticking out from under a trash bag laying on top of the pile in the dumpster under the lid? What if they had to break open the bag? What if the bag was filled with rotting food?

Picking up where Amy left off, we could take that exercise even further. What if the bag contained human waste? Radioactive waste? What if the dumpster divers were wearing gloves?

I suspect that the only things holding people back are (1) high probability of death or personal injury, not just a possibility and (2) degree of certainty that a $20 bill is actually in the dumpster.

Or with apologies to George Bernard Shaw, we're not trying to figure out our occupation. We're just trying to settle on the price.

*FOD = Foreign Object Damage to aircraft engines. Personnel walk down a runway in line abreast and pick up anything laying on the ground that could get sucked into a jet intake.

"Discount" goods.:cool: Is Golden Computing still operating? I used to fly to HK, get a room at Chung King Mansions $16-20, hit Golden Computing for a few, "errr, ummm" disks and fly out feeling like I had scored bigtime. Maybe some antibiotics and a few other more exotic meds.

I must confess, I have not been to Chung King Mansions for years. It's a lot more upmarket than it used to be - a function of rising property prices and the PRC tourist boom. The competition to sell counterfeit entertainment and software is pretty intense but a lot of people go to Shenzhen for it.

I'm about to participate once again in one of my favorite freebie activities~retirement seminar with lunch as a reward for listening to the fellas dog and pony show. Great daytime entertainment and a free lunch @ County Line BBQ.

I'm about to participate once again in one of my favorite freebie activities~retirement seminar with lunch as a reward for listening to the fellas dog and pony show. Great daytime entertainment and a free lunch @ County Line BBQ.

I may have to visit Texas yet.;) Got any more secrets?

Back
Top Bottom