The beginning of the end of free TV?

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
FCC Proposing TV Spectrum Auction - 2010-02-24 17:07:34 | Broadcasting & Cable

First they took channels 70-83, then they took 52-69. Still they want more of the free TV spectrum.

Sounds like the cable and satellite companies are salivating over all the people who may, at some future point, lose free over-the-air TV because for-profit broadband and wireless companies want the free TV spectrum for their subscription-based services.

Everyone wins -- cable and satellite providers, wireless mobile and broadband providers -- except the consumer who can't/won't pay for local television programming.

I agree that free TV is under pressure but disagree that it's due to lack of spectrum. Here in the Chicago-land area, I can get almost two dozen stations (including their sub-channels) over the air. This includes 3 public outlets. But DW and I still can't quite talk ourselves into giving up cable. I'd miss all Blackhawk games, most Bulls games, many Cubs and Sox games and 1 or 2 Bears games that are only on cable. And I like to follow Purdue sports on the Big Ten channel. DW would miss her favorite quilting shows, classic movies and other [-]crap[/-] interesting programs she finds on obscure (to me) cable channels.

OTA broadcasting is struggling to be profitable and to fill their current programming time with competitive offerings. I'm also concerned about their demise, but I don't think that demise will be brought about by a lack of spectrum. They'll die because of a lack of advertising revenue adequate to buy programming.

OTA broadcasting is struggling to be profitable and to fill their current programming time with competitive offerings. I'm also concerned about their demise, but I don't think that demise will be brought about by a lack of spectrum. They'll die because of a lack of advertising revenue adequate to buy programming.

Interesting. It's the lack of advertising that attracts me to OTA TV. We get a great "retro" channel here, plus weather and local news, with minimal ads, on free TV . Only about 2 minutes of ads every half hour.

Back
Top Bottom