TheFed's "super-healthy' smoothie - an experiment

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, as some may have read, I not only have a new blender, but I have a one-track 'command and conquer' mind when it comes to new things in my life...be it a hobby, project, job etc.

Well, this particular 'project' is perfecting a HEALTHY smoothie. so, here are the ingredients with only guesses on measurements....I really just eyeball it.

1/2-3/4 cup frozen fruits (berries)
1/2 -3/4 cup fresh fruit (kiwi, banana, strawberry, grapes)
8 oz soy milk
2 tbsps freshly ground flaxseed
2 tbsps chia seeds (ground , or gel form)
2 tbsp wheat germ (toasted, ground)
1 scoop "amazing Grass- Berry Flavor" (look it up-very interesting veggie supp.)
1 scoop ON 100% Whey powder- vanilla ice cream flavor (yummm!)
splash of vanilla extract
1 cup or so of ice
water if needed for consistency

This actually makes a big smoothie...enough for 2 16 oz cups....so my wife and i are each having a glass. This breaks down to about 300 cals, 17g protein, 16 g fiber in a 16 oz glass.....with a ton of nutrients , minerals, antioxidants and vitamins.

Half of those calories come from the flaxseed and chia seeds...mainly the omega-3's and 6's. Might be able to cut that back some if calories are an issue....but a well-balanced 300 cal breakfast drink that should hold you over for quite a while seems quite reasonable!

I am going to down at least one of these every day for 30 days and see if I notice any marked improvements in energy, mental clarity, skin and hair health, digestion or any other wellbeing claim touted by many of these foods/products. for the record, i rarely eat veggies or fruits...so i think that may have the biggest impact of all!

i'll keep ya posted!

Well....20 days in and I'm addicted. If I dont eath this in the a.m, I can feel it.

About 20oz fills me up until about 11am, at which point I am starving (drink it at about 8)....which I wish wasnt the case. If I add extra whey, it does a better job of filling me up.

Fed, I'm glad you started this smoothie thing. For the last couple of weeks I have been drinking a green smoothie for my lunch most days. I was really getting tired of salads for my daily leafy green vegetables so I tried green smoothies. I just buy whatever green leafy veggie my grocery store has that week and start throwing things in the blender. Works great for my lunch. I don't use protein powder, but I've been throwing in about a 1/4 cup of Greek style yogurt for a little protein.

Back
Top Bottom