17-20 more days here to go...

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, not to FIRE yet...I am accepting a 24 month recall to active duty as a reserve officer recruiter - starting in April. :whistle: To say the least, I am thrilled! :clap:No moving, just a different office, environment, and co-workers for a while right here at home in NJ. At this point, I am planning on extending these orders up to the max 5 year mark, which allows me to keep my current job (IAW USERRA regulations) at which point, I get to make the decision to stay active duty USNR or come back to this job and weekend warrior status. (vested in state pension already - and I will be making pension contributions in the form of a vacation day per pay period while on military leave, so that will add another 2-5 years towards this pens too) I don't have to make this decision any time soon, so it is comforting having these choices!

The part that makes me chuckle but also frustrates me is I do not have my orders in hand to turn into payroll at this time. :mad: (they typically show up about two weeks prior to recall date) In a nutshell, my immediate supervisor (who's hair reminds me of Dilbert's PHB's) is going to have a COW. The sick puppy in me is actually looking forward to his reaction! :2funny: (he was less than thrilled when I was mobilized for a year last year) Since I don't have official orders yet, I am waiting for them to notify my office. The folks down in the office that reviews our orders to determine if differential pay, etc is authorized are already aware of this situation.

I have been quietly informing my regular customers I have in case management of my upcoming departure, so they completely understand. My desk here has become relatively neat as I have slowly cleaned it out/up. No USERRA laws are being broken - I am required to notify my employer as soon as I have orders in hand - also, I am on the NJ ESGR committee, so do know of what I speak.

I just wanted to share my good fortune since I can't yap about it to my friendly co-workers! :greetings10:

No moving, just a different office, environment, and co-workers for a while right here at home in NJ.
I think that's one of the best things about the Reserves.

Of course you still have to deal with those uniform regs and the haircut thing...

I too am on a military leave of absence from my job and being a Reservist gives you a ton of options when you might need a "break" from work. My MOS has a lot of opportunities for being activated, sounds like the Navy has some nice options as well for you :).

My biggest pain from my civilian job was not being familiar with USERRA (i.e. when you have to return to work after a mobilization, etc etc). Hopefully with your ESGR knowledge, you will have a smooth transition! I'm going to have to look into California's ESGR committee and see if I can get involved as you have done to help other Reservists out. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom