The New York Beer Exchange

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
New York bar to set menu prices like stocks - Yahoo! Canada News

The Exchange Bar & Grill, set amid the bustling shops and pubs of the Grammercy Park neighborhood, is replete with a ticker tape flashing menu prices in red lettering as demand forces them to fluctuate.

... The prices will fluctuate in $.25 cent increments, but will most likely plateau at a $2 change in either direction.

A glass of Guinness starts at $6 but could be pushed to a high of $8 or a low of $4, depending on popularity.

This leaves all kinds of room for additional "plays" on the price of pub fare.

If I'm only willing to pay $5 for a pint of Guinness when the current price is $5.75, can I tell the server to get me a glass of water and enter a "limit order" for $5 so he/she can serve me if the price drops to $5?

If I think the price is too high, can I "short" a dozen wings -- effectively borrowing a dozen wings from the pub to sell to the guy willing to pay too much, and then "buy back" the wings later to cover at a lower price?

Options, anyone? If the current price of a pint of Sam Adams is at $4.25 and I want to lock it in for the rest of my stay, can I pay 15 cents per pint as an "options premium" for the right to lock in a $4.25 price for the next three I buy?

Outside the box, that's me...

Options, anyone? If the current price of a pint of Sam Adams is at $4.25 and I want to lock it in for the rest of my stay, can I pay 15 cents per pint as an "options premium" for the right to lock in a $4.25 price for the next three I buy?

Just buy one for immediate delivery and 3 more on futures contracts for delivery in 15, 30, and 45 minutes respectively. Don't want the product to get warm do we?

Also shocking is NYC prices. $6 for a Guinness? When NYC friends come down to my hood to visit, I try to tell them where the beer specials are. They just say, look paying $3-4 (full price here) is like happy hour in NYC!

There's just something magical about the words 'New York" and "Beer" in the same sentence...:cool:
AND...the bar opens April 1st, the 3 year anniversary of my FIRE date. Hmmmmm...:whistle:
Have we been snookered? :confused: Chop busting is a fine art for Noo Yawkers.

Regarding metro NYC prices, JFK had a special deal for a burrito platter at just....
drum roll...$18.
I was there for a scheduled 4 hour layover on my way to paradise. The obnoxious intercom broadcasting departures and arrivals at full volume :( was free, of course.

Interesting.

My fist thought was that now that my days are free I could take advantage of low demand by grabbing a 10:00AM or 3:00PM weekday pint. But it probably doesn't work like that. If the bar is empty all of the prices are probably set at the mid-level. They probably only go down if other prices are being bid up.

Boo.

I'd like an index fund ETF of everything you have behind the counter. Hey, and bring me a second glass of international ETF (Guinness is a component of that, right?).

I'd like an index fund ETF of everything you have behind the counter. Hey, and bring me a second glass of international ETF (Guinness is a component of that, right?).
Given the often unpleasant results of "mixing," I'm not sure this is the sort of portfolio you want to diversify... :LOL:

Given the often unpleasant results of "mixing," I'm not sure this is the sort of portfolio you want to diversify... :LOL:

On second thought it might be better to stick with sector fund offerings.

Maybe pick up some GLDschlager shots.

New Yorkers like the trendy, and I am sure this pub will have it's fifteen minutes of fame. Gramercy Park is not a major tourist area so quite likely the draw will be among the local yuppies and investment types. For beer in NY, I would recommend a pilgrimage to McSorley's Ale Pub. You can drink your brew in historic surroundings with, as I recall, chicken or turkey wishbones hanging over your head with long stalactites of dust dripping off them. Anyone remember the old Auto Pub in the GM building?they had cars suspended over head. It was always a good meeting place for out of towners. The pub on Gramercy Park is near one of my historical attractions...Teddy Roosevelt's childhood home. Oh, and The Players Club but you have to be a member. My Dad always stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel, and we loved to get a key from the concierge and go and sit in park.

That'd be a great bar for [-]bottom fishers[/-] value pickers like me. "I'll have whatever's cheap."

-CC

That'd be a great bar for [-]bottom fishers[/-] value pickers like me. "I'll have whatever's cheap."

"Here's your Milwaukee's Beast, that'll be $4.50."

Back
Top Bottom