Help with Christmas Tree Pruning

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
From my research, it seems that now is the time to prune my Douglas fir Christmas tree. I'll be cutting off the ends of all the branches.

Where should I cut?

ChristmasTreePruning 002.jpg

Where should I cut?

(Not being an expert in "Christmas Tree" pruning... or having any experience at all with such an endeavor, actually.)

What is the purpose of this pruning? To stop the growth of the tree because you like the current shape and size? (Then simply "pinch the buds.") Or to cause the branches to divide causing a "fuller" look? (Then cut the branch back toward the trunk -- but cut each branch at a different poisition so as not to cause a "hedge" effect."

From my research, it seems that now is the time to prune my Douglas fir Christmas tree. I'll be cutting off the ends of all the branches.

Where should I cut?

Another question answered: :D

"... the ends of all the branches."

What is the purpose of this pruning? To stop the growth of the tree because you like the current shape and size? (Then simply "pinch the buds.") Or to cause the branches to divide causing a "fuller" look? (Then cut the branch back toward the trunk -- but cut each branch at a different poisition so as not to cause a "hedge" effect."

To cause the branches to divide and cause a fuller look.

So, I'll cut at positions, say, between two and six inches in, yes?

T-Al, maybe you should go for the celebrity look...:LOL:

Attachments

• cbtree.jpg
    cbtree.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 46
Well I made the cuts. Problem is, it takes a long time to see whether one did it right. Tune in next year.

I'm kinda late here, sorry. My recollection is that you should not prune to old wood on evergreens that candle. I see candling on the end of the branch. You can remove part of the candle but should not remove it all. Growth is on new wood only.

Back
Top Bottom