Nords is famous again....

Nords, can you give us a quick summary of how PenFed calculates its early withdrawal penalties on CDs?
Some of that's on the "Chasing yield" thread. As ClifP's pointed out, PenFed's already dropped their five-year rate from 3.5% to 3%. Didn't see that coming. Must've given them too much business and killed a good deal.

Thanks to other posters on this board, here are the three big factors that attract me to PenFed:
1. Their early-withdrawal boilerplate is relatively easy to find. (Try searching a bank/credit union's website for the term "early withdrawal" or "penalty".) Some places don't even have it on their websites.
https://www.penfed.org/pdf/accountsforms/688.pdf
Certificates Having a Term Greater Than
Six Months and up to and including 5 years.
a) If redeemed within 180 days of the issue
date or any renewal date, all dividends will be
forfeited.
b) If redeemed thereafter, but prior to the
maturity date, dividends for the most recent 180
days will be forfeited
Their seven-year CDs have a one-year penalty.
2. The minimum size of all their certificates is $1000. No breakpoints at $20K or $50K or $100K, and some of PenFed's $1000 rates are still better than other credit union's $100K rates. So we can split the certificates into much smaller chunks and only break the chunks that need breaking instead of getting hammered on $20K for a $5K crisis.
3. Despite that PDF application in #1, once you have a PenFed website account you can set up a CD online within five minutes. Best process I've ever seen. (They follow up with snail-mail paperwork a week later but the CD is effective the date you apply on the website.) After several years with them I've never even talked to a PenFed employee on the phone, let alone visited a branch office. I'd like to think that their extensive self-service automation allows them to give us higher rates.

Although I have always declined, I have been approached frequently by reporters in the past few years, wanting interviews. So it's not just living in Hawaii that triggers them. Maybe they're afraid of Dawg52's great big ol' dog. :D
Maybe it was your Eva avatar. Have you had any media requests since you put it away?

I'm sure that this board could produce some good resources for Stacy & Clinton...just look at those pictures of what retirees wear.:cool:
Stacy & Clinton gave up on us long ago. I was at a coffee-shop meeting with an acquaintance last week and, given the venue, I wore my usual business attire of comfortable board shorts, old surf t-shirt, and slippers. A couple days later we were lunching at a place with a dress code (pants and shoes) and he commented "Geez, you sure cleaned up good." After 24 years of wearing khaki uniforms or blue coveralls it's hard to get excited about fashion...

You claim to be retired. Writing a book is a J*B. Busted again.:D
It's certainly a labor of love. (If I was a starving author I'd've expired halfway through the 2nd chapter.) As much work as it is, I'm beginning to realize that the writing is a lot more fun than the editing, publishing, and marketing. (Those last three haven't happened yet.) But a job usually involves a paycheck, and this is a non-profit project-- more of a time-consuming hobby.

Since you live in Hawaii, I hope the book gets a better reception here than the one by another Hawaiian with initials RK.
I think Hawaii was very happy to hand him off to Arizona or wherever he claims to have his Galactic HQ these days. He really burned some bridges with his talk stink and his needless fabrications. He doesn't represent any of the island's values and even the local realtors don't care to have anything to do with his followers...

I think Hawaii was very happy to hand him off to Arizona or wherever he claims to have his Galactic HQ these days. He really burned some bridges with his talk stink and his needless fabrications. He doesn't represent any of the island's values and even the local realtors don't care to have anything to do with his followers...

Oh, crap! AZ doesn't need someone like him - ughhh.

Maybe it was your Eva avatar. Have you had any media requests since you put it away?

Actually, no! You may be on to something. I have had requests from board members to bring Eva back, though (oddly, all those members were male.... hmm!). I will do that eventually. Meanwhile, it's fun to try something different. :)

Has anyone started a bidding war for Nords' autograph yet? ;)
If not, I'll start it out at 2 nights at Waikiki Beach, and he's paying. How else would I receive it except in person? :whistle:

Has anyone started a bidding war for Nords' autograph yet? ;)
If not, I'll start it out at 2 nights at Waikiki Beach, and he's paying. How else would I receive it except in person? :whistle:
I guess it would depend on what I'm autographing.

There are thousands of samples of my signature in the Naval Archives, all over the deck logs and the reactor startup/shutdown checklists. It's probably only worth a penny or two now...

Back
Top Bottom