Hi from Valerie in Japan

movaly1

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello,

My name is Valerie and I am in my mid-30's, single mom to two kids: ages 4 and 5. I live and work in Japan as a US federal government employee. I have 8 years in the federal system, and about 200K in assets (about 80% stock mutual funds and 20% bonds/cash). No debt. My goal is to be able to retire sometime between when my kids enter college and/or graduate from college - so 14-18 years from now. I'll also have a government pension to help with expenses post-retirement. I have no idea where I will retire yet.

Hello Valerie and welcome. What a wonderful opportunity for your children to experience another culture in depth. Are they, or are they becoming, bilingual? I think this is one area we Americans fall short(ability to speak a second language).

Hi Valerie

Another American in Japan here. Welcome to the forum! We've been in Japan a total of about 20 years, this being our 3rd stint. I'm not gov't though, just a simple megacorp man. Hope you enjoy it here at E-R.org.

How long are you going to be in JP? We expect about two and a half more years.

R

I am overseas indefinitely. I am hoping to get a transfer to Europe in the next few years.

Looks like you might be a DoDDS teacher, same as myself. I am planning on retiring at the end of next year at 54. Currently teaching in N Yorkshire UK. No kids to put through school. I have been in Japan as well (well, Okinawa anyway). I probably could have retired earlier if I had put away more earlier.....the old advice I got (and didn't follow very well) is still true....put more away than you think you can. I live cheaply and am moving to a reasonably cheap place to retire.

Looks like you might be a DoDDS teacher, same as myself. I am planning on retiring at the end of next year at 54. Currently teaching in N Yorkshire UK. No kids to put through school. I have been in Japan as well (well, Okinawa anyway). I probably could have retired earlier if I had put away more earlier.....the old advice I got (and didn't follow very well) is still true....put more away than you think you can. I live cheaply and am moving to a reasonably cheap place to retire.

I am, indeed! And I am in Okinawa too! Where are you retiring to?

Welcome to the forum!! I arrived to Tokyo in June this year after postings in Europe, the Middle East and other places in Asia. If I can help in any way, let me know. Tim

Back
Top Bottom