Hi I'm 33 and "retired"... thought I would drop by

Ryan Martin

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone,

I'm sure like a few here, I "retired" early and now spend some of my time sharing my story (information) about how I did it. This has taken me to the web obviously... and now here.

At 33 and married, mine is obviously not going to be your typical retirement, but that should be expected. Anyone here who is trying to retire early is surely doing something not of the norm.

From what I understand of the early retirement community there are a couple of different camps. You can say I don't sit in the camp of accumulating piles of money in hopes of one day calling it a day to golf. Mine is a more "do what you love, have freedom now" type mindset.

Anywho, that's a bit about me. This looks like a very active and thought provoking community, and I look forward to contributing when I can.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Forum! :p

Ooooo, without a sufficient "pile" sometimes this camp ( "do what you love, have freedom now" type mindset ) is also called the "not really early retirement, but a temporary sabbatical until I run out of $$ and become homeless and/or return to the workforce camp"

Of course if you get "lucky" and do not need to accumulate that pile over the years then by all means "do what you love and enjoy your freedom" but remember that if "doing what you love and enjoying your freedom" is criteria for this "non-typical retirement" then many folks (not all) out there doing 9-5 can be considered "retired"

Tell us more...... ?

Welcome, we are all keen to hear how you managed it, and what "retired" means to you.

Hey,
I did it young too (35), but left the US to pull it off. What are your plans to retire so young?

Ooooo, without a sufficient "pile" sometimes this camp ( "do what you love, have freedom now" type mindset ) is also called the "not really early retirement, but a temporary sabbatical until I run out of $$ and become homeless and/or return to the workforce camp"
Too true! :D

Good for you! Just make sure that you sock a few bucks away every month in some investments, for when you're much older. It will compound over the years and you'll have the moolah to "retire 'n golf"! It's never too early to start... :D

Hobbies are my blog, Lifestyleshock.com. This site is about staying hungry for life and success. It’s about understanding that lives are not plans but events and it’s up to us to be prepared for and learn from each event; learn from the lifestyle shocks. Lifestyle Shock features articles about: money, career, stock investing, real estate, fitness, and social commentary.
My name is Ryan Martin, and I’m the creator and writer at Lifestyleshock.com. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia. I am 33 years old and retired. Okay, I am not really retired; I’m experimenting with alternatives to the “real world”. The experiment at the moment is my blog and investing in the stock market.
Since 1987, I have been helping clients make prudent financial decisions for their retirement, focusing on safe investments that provide growth and lifetime income. My firm, Bertrand Retirement Strategies, provides financial planning, investment advice and wealth management services to over 300 clients.
I have also hosted over one hundred educational workshops, and have spoken on numerous radio programs and at various public forums, discussing topics relating to retirement, investments, estate planning, asset protection and tax reduction.
This thread is starting to sound like a spammer's networking happy hour with drive-through service.

All we need now is a glass fishbowl on the bar where they can drop their business cards for a free referral...

Ryan Martin said:
My firm, Bertrand Retirement Strategies, provides financial planning, investment advice and wealth management services to over 300 clients.
I have also hosted over one hundred educational workshops, and have spoken on numerous radio programs and at various public forums, discussing topics relating to retirement, investments, estate planning, asset protection and tax reduction.
It sure sounds like w*rk to me. Unless he has now hired someone to do all this.

It sure sounds like w*rk to me. Unless he has now hired someone to do all this.

Actually, Mr. bertrand has done all those things. Where is it quoted that Ryan Martin has done all those things?

Another FA on here..who woulda thunk it! :LOL:

Nords....

I did not see the quotes anywhere on this post... so they must be somewhere else... I wonder if this is going the way of the millionaire mommy next door... boy that was fun :ROFLMAO:

As to militaryman... I know of someone who 'retired' without a pile of money... he was someone I knew in HS... when he was in his late 20s to early 30s he got tired of working and supporting a wife and two kids... so he moved back to his parents house... has lived there ever since.. they are NOT rich by any means... his father was a blue collar worker... and wanted to kick him out, but his mom won... last I heard he was still living there, his dad died and his mom is living on SS.. I guess he is waiting for her to die... but the only thing she has is the house.... and he would lose his only source of income... sad... very sad...

This thread is starting to sound like a spammer's networking happy hour with drive-through service.

All we need now is a glass fishbowl on the bar where they can drop their business cards for a free referral...
What gives? This stuff you quoted did not appear in this thread (prior to your post).

Everyone should be welcome on this board (even former or current financial advisors), provided only that they follow the rules. No spamming or solicitations took place here, and your attack on the o/p was ill-advised.

I haven't done any Google search re the o/p, nor do I intend to. Frankly, who cares what he does outside of this forum?

I respectfully refer you to my previous post.

Everyone should be welcome on this board (even former or current financial advisors), provided only that they follow the rules.

I haven't done any Google search re the o/p, nor do I intend to. Frankly, who cares what he does outside of this forum?
Apparently Nords ... and the State of Texas. :)

TWO INDICTED IN INVESTMENT SCHEME
AUSTIN, TEXAS - On August 23,2000, a Midland County, Texas grand jury returned 12
indictments against Sherry W. Keisling and H. Bradley Bertrand for violations of the Texas
Securities Act and money laundering. Keisling and Bertrand were indicted for selling unregistered
securities, and selling securities without being registered as securities dealers or salesmen. Keisling
was also indicted for securities fraud and securing the execution of a document by deception.
Keisling, doing business as Cornerstone Financial in Midland, Texas, sold approximately
$1.5 million in certificates of viaticated insurance benefits issued by Financial Federated Title &
Trust, Inc. of Lazy Lake, Florida and American Benefits Services, Inc. of Lake Worth, Florida to
residents of Midland, Odessa, and Big Spring, Texas. Bertrand participated in the scheme while
doing business as Cornerstone Financial Agency, Inc. of Blanchard, Oklahoma.
2001 Civil and Criminal Actions
On May 24, 2001 in the 385th Judicial District Court for Midland County, Texas, Sherry W. Keisling , formerly of Midland and H. Bradley Bertrand , of Blachard, Oklahoma, were ordered to pay $113,000 and $125,000, respectively, to investors in connection with the unlawful sale of securities. The Cause Numbers were: CR-26,153 and 154 in connection with Ms. Keisling's cases and CR-26,158 and 161 in connection with Mr. Bertrand's cases. Both have been placed on ten years probation.

Perhaps some posters have confused the o.p. With someone else of the same name. I doubt he started working at the above named company at age 10.

Perhaps some posters have confused the o.p. With someone else of the same name. I doubt he started working at the above named company at age 10.

And we do know that what he says is gospel truth, don't we?

I did not see the quotes anywhere on this post... so they must be somewhere else... I wonder if this is going the way of the millionaire mommy next door... boy that was fun :ROFLMAO:
C'mon, guys, you know this board is used by spammers the way Willie Sutton used banks for venture-capital investments.

I usually don't perk up when a new poster introduces themselves, but whenever two first-time posters start congratulating each other on themselves then I read their profiles. Ryan Martin by himself didn't seem that unusual but when HBradleyBertrand signed up and jumped right in without any of his own introductory posts or lurking, then my spamtenna started twitching. For a while there I thought OAP had used up all his alter-ego poster IDs and had to start over.

But my gosh the truth (if indeed we're graced with the parolee himself) is even better than [-]spam[/-] fiction.

What's a financial adviser going to have to do here before they can post... direct the moderators to a copy of their license record?

Excuse me for a few minutes while I go get more popcorn!

Much ado about nothing.

yawn-2.jpg

C'mon, guys, you know this board is used by spammers the way Willie Sutton used banks for venture-capital investments.

I usually don't perk up when a new poster introduces themselves, but whenever two first-time posters start congratulating each other on themselves then I read their profiles. Ryan Martin by himself didn't seem that unusual but when HBradleyBertrand signed up and jumped right in without any of his own introductory posts or lurking, then my spamtenna started twitching. For a while there I thought OAP had used up all his alter-ego poster IDs and had to start over.

But my gosh the truth (if indeed we're graced with the parolee himself) is even better than [-]spam[/-] fiction.

What's a financial adviser going to have to do here before they can post... direct the moderators to a copy of their license record?

Excuse me for a few minutes while I go get more popcorn!

I skipped the other first poster.... nothing interesting in the post... but yours was interesting...

I have taken a look and I believe he is like the mommy... wanting to get traffic to his site...

Good spamtenna...

Well, after a week and a half, it looks like both the OP and HBradley have moved on to more fertile fields...

By "more fertile fields", do you mean a forum where folks don't know how to use Google?
... and also where they're more full of... fertilizer.

I've always wondered about the spammers who think it's a good idea to put in all those hours registering, confirming, and posting to individual boards. Sure, how else are they going to fill the lonely hours until they [-]make parole[/-] land their first customer, but it doesn't seem to be the most effective use of their time. And I doubt they're using a spammer's registration utility from a Romanian website guaranteed to automate their membership into thousands of hot [-]single[/-] discussion boards.

This may be a big board with high search-engine rankings, but that does not correlate to (1) rich or (2) gullible or (3) in need of financial advice...

This may be a big board with high search-engine rankings, but that does not correlate to (1) rich or (2) gullible or (3) in need of financial advice...
What do you think it DOES appeal to?

I know there are some of us that fall into (1) and (3)!

Back
Top Bottom