Blatant self promotion

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Just got an automated phone call from local CBC; said my blood saved a life in Richmond IN back in May.

Now on hold until marrow donation approved/denied.

Fantastic.

Way back when, my dad's place of business would get phone calls from the hospital calling for immediate blood donations. Sometimes he got direct thank you notes or gifts from recipients.

Even with an automated message, isn't it nice to get some feedback. I was "on hold" for bone marrow donation for about eight years; was nervous about it, but it never happened. How many gallons of blood have you given over the years, Khan?

Way back when, my dad's place of business would get phone calls from the hospital calling for immediate blood donations. Sometimes he got direct thank you notes or gifts from recipients.

Even with an automated message, isn't it nice to get some feedback. I was "on hold" for bone marrow donation for about eight years; was nervous about it, but it never happened. How many gallons of blood have you given over the years, Khan?

n679602924_2569722_481479.jpg

Wow, I didn't know they tracked and contacted donors. Interesting. Or does that mean the other blood I donated went past its date and was destroyed? Ah, part of how it all works.

I have a coffee cup in a box somewhere with some amount that I donated on there, can't recall the amount. I got it for taking on the small task of organizing the blood donations for our office. I was surprised they knew how much I had donated over the years. Got the cup and a free lunch and some 'thank you's' and it was very little effort. I used to give regularly, then was on some meds that black-listed me, but I'm OK and off those meds for years, and I just never started up again. But I have to get poked every 6 months for the cholesterol checks, that kinda takes the thrill of getting another stab, but that's a poor excuse.

OK, it's on my TO DO list, I'll see if that helps...

Thanks for the info and the donations, Khan.

-ERD50

Tracking & contacting is fairly recent. I have many Tshirts & mugs.
As I have mentioned, I am possibly a marrow donor; will not be donating blood for a while.

Way to go, Khan!

There exists a lady named Khan
Who says no one will care when she's gone.
But she gives of her blood
In a veritable flood
and because of her, life will go on.

Amethyst

Crap. I found someone else who programmed in CICS...

Crap. I found someone else who programmed in CICS...

Is CICS part of your blood type :D ?

Seriously? What a gift. Saving a life--not many of us know that we did that.

And to think you have to arrange your own transportation home from the marrow donation....:( I bet there are some families you've helped who would be lined up to help you if only they knew.

Great job, Khan!

Btw, I programmed macro level CICS in ALC. :D

Way to go Khan!

Was a CICS Sysprog in late 70's on and off through most of the 90's. Solved lots of dumps (mostly storage overlays) and wrote lots of code in macro level ALC. Command Level with ALC just did not make any sense to me, but eventually I was forced to use it.

At one place, as part of keeping my sanity, I secretly coded up a little transaction named CTMA. It typed "Calgon, Take Me Awaaaay . . ." on the terminal with one second between characters. Of course nobody could tell CTMA from any of the CICS-distributed transactions. Probably couldn't get away with a stunt like that these days.

I'd like to send a special thanks . I am barred from donation since I spent too much time in the UK during the BSE (Mad cow disease) outbreak. I show up anyway so my unit get credit.

Great job, Khan!

Btw, I programmed macro level CICS in ALC. :D

Khan,

You may have saved even more lives: I am feeling even more badly than before about not donating recently. (That was one advantage to working in an office building: Ever so often, the Red Cross would set up and take donations where I already was.) So, I will try to stop procrastinating and attend a blood drive soon. (I am O-; so, they love to see me.)

BTW: I have programmed macro level CICS using both ALC and COBOL accessing DB2 as well as several database/file management systems which are long dead.

Back
Top Bottom