spies among us

On the PBS Newshour last night, one 'expert' was saying that the Russians are doing more spying now than they were doing the Cold War. I suspect that it more industrial espionage now days.

Here's the top spy:

slide_8077_107672_large.jpg

You guys would fold like origami if that Russian babe tried to get all our secrets and you held them...:LOL:

You guys would fold like origami if that Russian babe tried to get all our secrets and you held them...:LOL:

Uh..what? Who said there are secrets to protect?? :LOL:

I don't really know any secrets, but I would be willing to let her try all her charms to coax them out of me.

Russia rips spy ring bust as arrests rise to 11 - USATODAY.com

Guess you really might not know what your neighbors are up to.

Reminds me of that Russian double agent several years back. I forget is name, "Richard..." or something like that? who lived an "ordinary" life, raised a family, but was spying all along.

Robert Hanssen was not an ordinary guy, he was a highly placed FBI supervisor with access to tons of information. He seemed fairly normal when I met him (his wife was one of my daughter's teachers and his daughter was in DDs class), but he was far more dangerous to US secrets than this group could ever be. Glad to see they got caught, though.

I wouldn't hazard to guess how many foreign agents there are operating in the U.S., but I know that even before 9/11 there were a lot of investigations going on. Before the Partiot Act all federal wire interceptions had to be okayed by the attorney general or his/her immediate subordinates (they still might, I don't know for sure), and back when I was doing that sort of thing our paperwork was always being delayed in Washington because some espionage case had higher priority. Seemed to be a lot of Cubans back then.

I ran across a lot of spooks; former spies, disgraced spies, wannabes, and guys who had been spooks for governments that no longer existed. Plus bad guys of all sorts who had been trained by spooks. That's just in one city, who knows what the rest of the country is like.

The drug business was full of spook types. Lots of Eastern Bloc types and Israelis. The closest I ever came to catching one was a case involving a right-wing paramilitary group in Columbia smuggling cocaine in exchange for Soviet weapons. The dude was good, very good (his group was bankrolled by corporations like Chiquita and had past "connections" with the CIA, Colombian intelligence and police, and even the 'Ndrangheta), and in spite of a lot of creative work he still managed to slide past my guys. I don't feel too bad about missing him though, a friend of mine at the FBI went after him right after we got skunked and was able to catch him; but he spent 13 months, millions in taxpayer dollars, flew all over the world and used a former East German Stasi agent working undercover to do it. He actually shipped East German weapons to the Virgin Islands to lure the AUC commandantes out for a look-see. Cocaine for Kalashnikovs: The Stasi Spy Who Became an FBI Spook - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

I don't feel too bad about missing him though...
You know you don't miss that stuff.

I'm relieved/surprised that none of the spies were U.S. military, FBI, or CIA. As far as we can tell.

So what exactly did they gain access to? Sounds like the good lookin' one was stealing "secrets" like 'how to run a business'. I'm confused.

-CC

So what exactly did they gain access to? Sounds like the good lookin' one was stealing "secrets" like 'how to run a business'. I'm confused.
I never understood the moose or the flying squirrel, either...

-CC

That is why they were not booked on spying.

Back
Top Bottom