Amazon Phishing Scams - beware!

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been getting a bunch of emails that appear to come from Amazon, but they are phishing attempts. Even loading the email with images may tip them off that they have a 'live' email address. Use caution.

They look good, they actually load some images from the amazon site (I looked at the source code), but everything I get from Amazon includes my account name, these don't (just the email address).

I got one earlier that looks like an order fulfillment notice, and today one asking me to log on to update my account info - an obvious phishing attempt. No notices when I log in direct to amazon.

So beware, these could easily fool someone, they aren't junky looking like most I've seen. And set your email so the default is to not load remote content (images) - then only hit the "load remote content" button after you are certain it is authentic.

-ERD50

Amazon might be interested in hearing about this. Did you notify them?

I'm getting a ton of these. The only thing that distinguishes them is that they don't use my actual name, just the email address. Plus every link in them points to some weird URL that is not Amazon. Can't ignore the sender because it is nominally from a legit Amazon email address.

I order from Amazon and haven't seen any of these (yet). Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up. I order a lot from Amazon but haven't seen any of these yet.

I had a genuine e-mail from Amazon once - something to do with a change of credit card - and it didn't mention my name. It arrived just as I placed an order, so I guessed it was probably genuine, but it was asking me to go to a site and enter my CC details. So I called Amazon's customer support and they checked, determined that it was genuine, and I was good to go.

That was my second ever call to Amazon. The first was about a shipping charge problem. It was sorted out over the phone, with an e-mail confirmation 15 minutes later and a very favourable interpretation of the difference in the charges credited to my account. I would unhesitatingly recommend their customer service, in the same way that I would unhesitatingly recommend disembowelling yourself rather than embarking on the nightmare journey to hell that is involved when attempting to get support from PayPal.

Back
Top Bottom