FA Advises Couple To 'RetireSoon'

Pardon the free psychological evaluation, but these folks really do not WANT to retire. I say leave them alone and let them do what they want. I don't understand it, but I don't condemn it either. My dad was like that. From the day he retired (to get SS for himself and my sister who was in college at the time) he was either working for free at the old family business or looking for a paying job. Go figure. His son sure didn't turn out that way. :LOL:

I agree with koolau - if people want to keep working, why shouldn't they?

Personally, I think they need therapy but whatever works for them.

I was somewhat like that. Although younger than those two I didn't obsess about retiring until I realized I had more than 25 times expenses.

Their finances aren't that impressive considering what we see on this forum. Retirement income including pensions and SS about $58,000. PF $560,000, net worth just over a million in LA area.

There is nothing wrong with wo*king till you drop, if that is your wish.

There is nothing wrong with retiring (at any age), if that is your wish.

Follow your bliss; it's not the same for everybody...

There is nothing wrong with wo*king till you drop, if that is your wish.

There is nothing wrong with retiring (at any age), if that is your wish.

Follow your bliss; it's not the same for everybody...
That's what happened to my grand dad. He worked until a year before his death.

DW is a school teacher and w*rks with woman who is 82! State has enhanced payments for anyone retiring in next few months. Cow*rker is not interested. All I can say is she sure must love 2nd graders.

It seems that Dave is more ready (to retire) than Carole.
That's not unusual at all. In our case, we decided to retire at the same time, in the same year.

I retired :greetings10: ; my DW did not once her "date" arrived. She found out that she was not "emotionally ready" to retire. Three + years later, she is still at the same old j*b.

Hey, I'm not complaining. She's happy at work, I'm happy at home. The "split decision" worked out well in our case.

And yes, I've taken over more "duties" (e.g. grocery shopping, house cleaning, cooking, etc.) I'll admit that I don't do them well (but I try).

And financially? It has worked out much better. My plan was set for her to retire three years ago and I've kept the plan as if she would retire today. That means our actual SWR is much less than anticipated, since I'm the only one drawing, while she continues her 401(k) contributions, along with replacing her SS credits with current wages that overlay early career earnings.

Sometimes either/or (like the decision of VG vs. FIDO) dosen't make sense (BTW, we have our accounts split between Vanguard and Fidelity; we take the "good" from each vendor).

Our current "retirement situation" is the same.

I don't get the idea that just because you are married/partners that you have to do the same thing in all areas of life...

I don't get the idea that just because you are married/partners that you have to do the same thing in all areas of life...
Agreed - we have different interests. I enjoy tennis, biking, and hiking while DW prefers primarily in shopping. Therefore, we do spend time apart from each other. We do, however, spend time together to watch movies, dine out, and walk in the park and botanic gardens.

I also want Carole to retire asap so that she will have less money to donate to liberal political organizations and causes.

Ha

Had a former employer who was still working when he passed away a few years ago in his mid-70's - but as the business owner he did the traveling sales part he enjoyed while his son got the stay at home office and showroom work. I think to him it was such an easy workload compared to the years building the business that it was nearly like being retired, plus he was mostly setting his own schedule anyway.

Back
Top Bottom