Is Happiness a Side Effect of Frugality?

I think part of it is the control factor of being frugal is liberating! Interesting article!

Some things I've purchased have given me a lot of comfort and pleasure. Most things have not as the joy is rather fleeting.

I still believe the best things in life are simple and free.

In my view, happiness is the freedom that comes from becoming financially independent. You don't get there being a spendthrift.

And in a related vein, I have sometimes regretted money I spent on stuff, but I never regretted money I have spent on experiences

Things will have changed when we stop talking about the things or experiences we can buy to make us happy but what we do to make others happy.

Things will have changed when we stop talking about the things or experiences we can buy to make us happy but what we do to make others happy.
Mmmm, hmmmm....I agree. :)

Anybody want to make me happy? :greetings10:

Don't know that it's frugality but I find the older I get, I find happiness in simplicity. The less stuff I own the better.

Personally I find the less stuff I have, the less stressed I am. I hate the feeling of being surrounded by clutter. I don't know that having less stuff would be directly linked to being frugal for myself, whereas for the couple featured in the article it did. I do agree with the article in that I would rather pay more for an experience as that does seem to give me a bigger payback.

Let's face it, no matter what the situation, you can always turn your mind to your experiences, whereas stuff is just something else you have to move to clean around.

I think as long as the frugality is voluntary and not forced by tight financial circumstances, there is something to it. When you stop the relentless quest for more stuff (and a larger place to put it), it's strangely liberating. There's something therapeutic about realizing that you don't need much to be happy.

Great article, too bad the comments under the article deteriorated into the typical left-wing/right-wing shenanigans, and eventually it seemed as if people missed the point.

Great article. I loved the phrases "calculated consumption"

“We’re moving from a conspicuous consumption — which is ‘buy without regard’ — to a calculated consumption”

and "emotional efficiency"

The latest round of research is, for lack of a better term, all about emotional efficiency: how to reap the most happiness for your dollar.

Most stuff just sucks your soul.* I think frugality makes you happier by forcing you to focus on true sources happiness, and to banish the false sources, which are continually being pushed on us.

*Computers and bass boats excepted.

Great article, too bad the comments under the article deteriorated into the typical left-wing/right-wing shenanigans, and eventually it seemed as if people missed the point.

Most comments sections are at best entertaining, usually more like 9th graders trying to be cool. Only very occasionally does anyone say anything worthwhile.

Last edited:
Interesting article. This illustrates how good things can come from bad times. I agree experiences provide more happiness than material goods.

I checked out Ms. Strobel's website mentioned in the article here:

"Ms. Strobel — our heroine who moved into the 400-square foot apartment — is now an advocate of simple living, writing in her spare time about her own life choices at Rowdykittens.com."

I'm going to have to try the baking soda shampoo!

I'm going to have to try the baking soda shampoo!

True frugalestas shave their head, saving hair styling, shampoo, hair spray, combs, brushes and water.

Most comments sections are at best entertaining, usually more like 9th graders trying to be cool. Only very occasionally does anyone say anything worthwhile.

An insult to ninth graders... :LOL:

Contentment not Happiness

Happiness isn't the right word. The word that is appropriate here is contentment.

Spending my money after careful consideration fills me up with warm fuzzies. Spending my money carelessly fills me up with regrets. I prefer the warm fuzzies...:)

I would add that being frugal makes me feel secure, in-control, proud and even virtuous. I guess I read too many Duck McScrooge comics as a kid...:D

Well now, with the frugal bunch we have here I wouldn't ask for much nor would I expect anything. :LOL:

But I did get a smile and that's enough for me. :)

Yup, the best things in life are free...............:cool:

Back
Top Bottom