Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Health and Early Retirement (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/)
-   -   Cheers! (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/cheers-51892.html)

REWahoo 08-30-2010 09:09 PM

Cheers!

Seems almost too good to be true...

Quote:

...a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that for reasons that aren't entirely clear abstaining from alcohol does actually tend to increase one's risk of dying even when you exclude former drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers.
Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds - TIME

bbbamI 08-30-2010 09:47 PM

I enjoy things that are too good to be true. :greetings10: I'm keepin' the faith...

73ss454 08-30-2010 09:52 PM

Another strike against me!

harley 08-30-2010 10:04 PM

hmmm...I guess I better increase my life expectancy in my next FIRECALC run.

dgoldenz 08-30-2010 11:25 PM

Probably because non-drinkers tend to be more uptight than drinkers.

CuppaJoe 08-30-2010 11:50 PM

I had Sangria with dinner tonight on doctor's orders. :).

Walt34 08-31-2010 06:25 AM

Goody! I'll order another two cases of whatever has alcohol in it.

Rich_by_the_Bay 08-31-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoldenz (Post 973564)

Same thought crossed my mind half-jokingly but I decided not to post it to avoid offending anyone.

So much for that idea ;).

dgoldenz 08-31-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa (Post 973596)
Same thought crossed my mind half-jokingly but I decided not to post it to avoid offending anyone.

I was a server during college and there is a huge difference in attitude between drinkers and non-drinkers. Drinkers are almost always friendly, easy to please, more talkative, and gave great tips. Non-drinkers were often uptight, complained about things, and left bad tips. Just the way it is I guess.

HFWR 08-31-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 973533)

Between that and medicinal marijuana, I'll be a regular Methuselah... O0

jIMOh 08-31-2010 08:02 AM

drunk girls get laid more, and the men doing the laying have more fun too,
its win-win-win

MichaelB 08-31-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 973533)

Perhaps I should revisit my SWR assumptions...

Question: Is a 4% SWR safe?
Answer: Maybe. How much do you drink?

TooFrugal 08-31-2010 09:24 AM

Maybe because alcohol thins the blood which improves circulation.

Bestwifeever 08-31-2010 09:45 AM

In a related story, AA attendance is down 60 percent this week.

The first thing I thought of was how often we read that a drunk driver is the only survivor in a fatal accident.

The headline should have read "Moderate Drinkers Live Longest":

Quote:

The sample of those who were studied included individuals between ages 55 and 65 who had had any kind of outpatient care in the previous three years. The 1,824 participants were followed for 20 years. One drawback of the sample: a disproportionate number, 63%, were men. Just over 69% of the never-drinkers died during the 20 years, 60% of the heavy drinkers died and only 41% of moderate drinkers died.

bbbamI 08-31-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa (Post 973596)

:laugh:

Your quote needed to be quoted.....

:rofl:

RonBoyd 08-31-2010 11:21 AM

Apparently, there are a lot of interesting correlations:

Think the Answer’s Clear? Look Again

Quote:

Win an Academy Award and you’re likely to live longer than had you been a runner-up.

Interview for medical school on a rainy day, and your chances of being selected could fall.
or

Quote:

He found that about 25 more people die in crashes on presidential Election Days in the United States than the norm
or (more to the point?)

Quote:

“Every driver on average thinks he’s in the wrong lane,” Dr. Redelmeier said. “You think more cars are passing you when you’re actually passing them just as quickly. Still, you make a lane change where the benefits are illusory and not real.” Meanwhile, changing lanes increases the chances of collision about threefold.

rescueme 08-31-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooFrugal (Post 973649)
Maybe because alcohol thins the blood which improves circulation.

Could be. I'm a T2 diabetic and we're considered to already had one heart attack (diabetes and heart problems are related).

As such, I go to a local hospital's heart care center for a checkup every six months. I'm a red wine drinker for many years, and was advised to continue my practice, since it was shown as a positive "vice" in my health situation.

The only thing we've found is that there is a link to triglycerides (e.g. free fat) in my blood and it's higher than normal. We've reduced the wine before a blood test (one time for a month and another for a week) and there is a definite link. During the one-month abstinence my Tri's dropped by around 100 points (from 300+ to 200+)

I'm a diabetic which should impact my lifespan. I also drink wine, which should lengthen it. I'll just be happy to break even :laugh: ...

vicente solano 08-31-2010 12:49 PM

I wish something similar happened to smokers:coolsmiley:. But no, it happens to drinkers....and I almost never drink, not even beer. Just my luck:frown:!

Alan 08-31-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoldenz (Post 973564)

Don't you mean:

Quote:

Probably because non-drinkers tend to be more upright than drinkers
Being on your feet more is a greater strain on the heart.... :whistling:

Nords 08-31-2010 02:19 PM

The survivor bias is because the heavy drinkers are extraordinarily well-pickledpreserved...

A few years back Hawaii had a notorious DUI case where the defendant's lawyer claimed his client was such a heavy drinker that (1) it took many more drinks than "normal" people for his coordination to suffer, and (2) his liver was able to metabolize alcohol far faster than the average human.

No one tried to rebut those claims, but the conviction & imprisonment still stood. Maybe under those conditions it just seems as if your life is longer.