Unexpected window closure

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Twice today, the active window in which I was in the process of creating a reply to a post just closed on me without warning. I lost the text entered and could not find the window anywhere in memory.

Mac OS 10.6, Firefox (latest).

Could be at my end since it's a new computer, but notifying you just in case others have noticed the same problem.

Rich

Twice today, the active window in which I was in the process of creating a reply to a post just closed on me without warning. I lost the text entered and could not find the window anywhere in memory.

Mac OS 10.6, Firefox (latest).

Could be at my end since it's a new computer, but notifying you just in case others have noticed the same problem.

Rich
Sounds like one of those sneaky Mac viruses to me...

That's a provision in the new health care regulations--doctors can have a window open for only thirty seconds at a time, and only four times a day, before coming under review.

That's a provision in the new health care regulations--doctors can have a window open for only thirty seconds at a time, and only four times a day, before coming under review.
Everyone's a comedian around here... :D

But you have no idea what I was about to post when the wheels came off. It was a doozy.

About 2 hours ago (3:30 PM EDT), I got hit with a windowbomb. That is, dozens of IE windows from this website opened over and over when I tried to open a page from here (not my home page). I was able to close all the windows which were listed as a single IEXPLORE.EXE entry in Task Manager (not separate entries) so I was able to shut them all at once. I also lost the use of IE (6.0) for a little while.

I shut down my system for a short time, then ran a quick antivirus scan which showed no problems. After I rebooted, everything is back to normal but I was a little hesitant to return to this website. All is well for me here, too.

Whew! What a relief!

When I read, "Unexpected window closure", I thought maybe you were fondly looking out into your sunny, lovely back yard through an open kitchen window, when the window suddenly and unexpectedly closed, smashing your thumb painfully!!

Glad it wasn't that...

Rich
Happened to me yesterday - I hit the submit button but nothing was posted. I figured it was because of those #@$% democrats in congress but that it's gonna get better in November...

Another observation for our crack[-]pot[/-] tech support squad: it felt like a timer went off and closed the window after about the same interval both times, but it was not a real long time (in other words the window wasn't sitting idle for more than a couple of minutes tops

Distorted perception of time... paranoid feelings...

someone's been sampling the brownies...

TIP:

If I'm ever having problems posting or entering into a site text box, I get in the habit of hitting SELECT-ALL and COPY after writing a few lines. At least then, if it does close/crash, you have your work in the copy buffer. Easy to recover.

Bu no, I'm not having problems currently at this site (though I've been posting from Linux/FireFox , not from my Mac).

-ERD50

Thanks for the report... some possibilities:

1. If you develop spots or a fever, seek professional help.
2. The laptop is trying to tell you to go for a bike ride - this is apples latest lifestyle assistant feature. Say 'yes dear' and comply - it's just easier...
3. Try rebooting including deleting temp files and cookies, make sure that you've updated java, flash, etc.... check for the most recent firefox update (there were two last week).

Seriously - we haven't had other reports - but please post again if it continues....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom