Handy correlation tables

Onward

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's a site with handy correlation matrices for asset classes, countries, S&P sectors, and U.S. bond terms. Just choose which you want on the left. Time-frame is selectable but unfortunately doesn't go beyond two yrs in most matrices.

Asset Correlations

Interesting, yes, but handy?

Seems to me an asset allocation plan should be based on long-term correlations, not short term ones or changes from month-to-month or year-to-year. Am I missing something? How might an investor's actions might be influenced by reading these tea leaves?

an asset allocation plan should be based on long-term correlations

Good point. The data needs to go back further to be really useful. The sector matrix does go back 10 yrs, but the others go back only two.

I guess "interesting" would have been a better word than "handy."

Here's a site with handy correlation matrices for asset classes, countries, S&P sectors, and U.S. bond terms. Just choose which you want on the left. Time-frame is selectable but unfortunately doesn't go beyond two yrs in most matrices.
I spent years learning about correlations, yet the only ones I cared about were the ones that took over in 2008-2009.

I mean that term "ones" literally... back then every correlation in our portfolio was approaching 1.00.

I spent years learning about correlations, yet the only ones I cared about were the ones that took over in 2008-2009.

I mean that term "ones" literally... back then every correlation in our portfolio was approaching 1.00.

Yep, things correlate most when you want them to least. :(

What to buy now:confused:?

What to buy now:confused:?
"Buy"? I've been selling covered-call options on Berkshire Hathaway shares and depositing the proceeds in a money-market account.

Spouse and I are also considering refinancing a mortgage from 4.5% down to 4.25% or even 4%.

I guess you could buy more distressed real estate, but that's highly dependent on local conditions. I think we have enough landlording responsibilities already.

Otherwise I don't see many bargains out there...

Back
Top Bottom