Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Health and Early Retirement (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/)
-   -   Older, thinner, faster (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/older-thinner-faster-52566.html)

RunningBum 10-12-2010 08:39 PM

Older, thinner, faster

I remember being in my 30s and coming to the (false) realization that I was getting old and would never accomplish one of my life ambitions to run a marathon. A few years later I got inspired, shed some weight, and ran my first marathon at 39, in a respectable time.

Getting into my mid 40s, I kept running marathons and ultras but gradually got a big slower, sometimes had to run with pain, and my weight drifted back up. I resigned myself to the (again, false) fact that I would never run a marathon as fast as my first.

This summer I had more time on my hands since my kid is in college and I cut work to 1/2 time, so I decided to take another shot at a serious marathon training program.

I lost the weight I had gained back, and kept losing until last week I actually got down to the weight I remember being when I went out for football my junior year of high school. That was during a 3-day very low carb diet getting ready to carb load before a race this past weekend, so 3 pounds came back on, but it was still a kick to get down to that weight even if just for a day or two.

I won't bore you with the details of my running program, but it was a lot of miles including some fast ones. And I stretched and did core exercise almost every day.

My goal marathon was Sunday, the Steamtown marathon from Forest City to Scranton, PA. My goal was 3:30, to qualify to run Boston next year. That's 11 minutes better than my best time. But from my training and times in shorter races this year, I thought I could do even better, so I went out at a faster pace. I finished in 3:19.

It's probably a silly thing to see how fast you can run when you're a month from turning 49, but I got a lot of satisfaction from setting a goal, working very hard at it, and exceeding the goal.

I think it also shows that you CAN turn back the clock and get yourself back in better shape even if you've slipped some. Take it one step at a time but keep at it. I'm in the best shape of my life, or at least since I competed in high school sports.

Bestwifeever 10-12-2010 08:48 PM

Holy moly, that's amazing. And fast!!! Congratulations--you have turned back the hands (and feet in terms of the running) of time!

jimnjana 10-12-2010 08:52 PM

Wow!

zinger1457 10-12-2010 08:58 PM

Congratulations! Looks like Herschel Walker is also given us 50 years olds something to strive for.

Nearing 50, Renaissance jock Herschel Walker breaks fitness rules - CNN.com

"At 5:30 a.m., Walker wakes up to do 750 to 1,500 push-ups and about 2,000 sit-ups."

mb 10-12-2010 09:01 PM

Congratulations, 3:19 is a great time. Do you plan to run Boston? I haven't done it but think that every (semi-)serious runner should do it if they have the opportunity.

This is the 20th anniversary year of my last marathon. I still do a a couple of 5ks and 10ks a year and my best 5k time this year projects to a 3:22 marathon from the WAVA tables and my Boston qualifying time is 3:35 so maybe I still have a chance.

Alan 10-12-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 987184)
I think it also shows that you CAN turn back the clock and get yourself back in better shape even if you've slipped some. Take it one step at a time but keep at it. I'm in the best shape of my life, or at least since I competed in high school sports.

Congratulations, that's a great story. You're as physically fit as when you were 'nobbut a lad', and I'll bet you're financially fitter these days as well.

toofrugalformycat 10-12-2010 09:48 PM

Thanks for inspiring us all!

audreyh1 10-12-2010 10:21 PM

Wow! That's great. Congratulations RunningBum!

Audrey

RonBoyd 10-13-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 987218)
Wow! That's great. Congratulations RunningBum!

+1

Rambler 10-13-2010 06:42 AM

Good job! I'm hoping to do my first half marathon mid 2011 at age 49. Hope to lose some weight along the way. I have never been very athletic, but I seem to have caught a bit of the running bug. Did my longest run ever last weekend...10 miles plus about a mile walk to warm down. I will never do a 3:19, but would be ecstatic just to complete one.

R

KanDo 10-13-2010 07:17 AM

Congratulations! 3:19 is just outstanding. What an accomplishment to lose the weight, stay with your training, and then complete another marathon. Keep it up and all the best!

RunningBum 10-13-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb (Post 987193)
Congratulations, 3:19 is a great time. Do you plan to run Boston? I haven't done it but think that every (semi-)serious runner should do it if they have the opportunity.

This is the 20th anniversary year of my last marathon. I still do a a couple of 5ks and 10ks a year and my best 5k time this year projects to a 3:22 marathon from the WAVA tables and my Boston qualifying time is 3:35 so maybe I still have a chance.

Thanks all. Yes, I already have my hotel reserved for Boston next year. My sister-in-law and nephew are also going so it should be a fun family trip.

I found a WAVA predictor and it said that I'd run a 3:14 marathon. Many of those tools seem to assume you are doing elite-level training, 90+ miles a week. I peaked at 60 which is still more than a typical program but I don't know where I'd get another 5 minutes from. But with a 13 minute buffer I'm sure with decent training you'd have a great shot at it.

RunningBum 10-13-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambler (Post 987251)
Good job! I'm hoping to do my first half marathon mid 2011 at age 49. Hope to lose some weight along the way. I have never been very athletic, but I seem to have caught a bit of the running bug. Did my longest run ever last weekend...10 miles plus about a mile walk to warm down. I will never do a 3:19, but would be ecstatic just to complete one.

R

Good luck Rambler! I think a half marathon is a great distance for getting great workouts without hitting the break down point many hit in marathon training. I just caught the bug to keep doing fulls, but at some point I know I'll cut back.

Moemg 10-13-2010 07:43 AM

Congratulations & good luck in Boston !

TromboneAl 10-13-2010 08:00 AM

You were a whole hour faster than I was! KUTGW.

Alan 10-13-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TromboneAl (Post 987270)
You were a whole hour faster than I was! KUTGW.

KUTGW?? Is this some sort of secret language between runners?

FinanceDude 10-13-2010 08:24 AM

A great story..........:) I set all my PRs and ran 5 marathons before I turned 30.........and although I run a little, I KNOW I can't get close to my old times..........:)

Meadbh 10-13-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 987275)
KUTGW?? Is this some sort of secret language between runners?

Keep Up The Good Work? :laugh:

Congratulations, RB. I wish I had your self discipline!

Moscyn 10-13-2010 08:51 AM

Congrats! What an encouraging sharing. After not running for about 10 years, I am using my track shoes and running again at 50 years old. Doubt I will take part in any marathon but your sharing has certainly encouraged me to continue running.

Retire2013 10-13-2010 10:32 AM

We need more posts like this! Thanks, RunningBum.