Older, thinner, faster

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I remember being in my 30s and coming to the (false) realization that I was getting old and would never accomplish one of my life ambitions to run a marathon. A few years later I got inspired, shed some weight, and ran my first marathon at 39, in a respectable time.

Getting into my mid 40s, I kept running marathons and ultras but gradually got a big slower, sometimes had to run with pain, and my weight drifted back up. I resigned myself to the (again, false) fact that I would never run a marathon as fast as my first.

This summer I had more time on my hands since my kid is in college and I cut work to 1/2 time, so I decided to take another shot at a serious marathon training program.

I lost the weight I had gained back, and kept losing until last week I actually got down to the weight I remember being when I went out for football my junior year of high school. That was during a 3-day very low carb diet getting ready to carb load before a race this past weekend, so 3 pounds came back on, but it was still a kick to get down to that weight even if just for a day or two.

I won't bore you with the details of my running program, but it was a lot of miles including some fast ones. And I stretched and did core exercise almost every day.

My goal marathon was Sunday, the Steamtown marathon from Forest City to Scranton, PA. My goal was 3:30, to qualify to run Boston next year. That's 11 minutes better than my best time. But from my training and times in shorter races this year, I thought I could do even better, so I went out at a faster pace. I finished in 3:19.

It's probably a silly thing to see how fast you can run when you're a month from turning 49, but I got a lot of satisfaction from setting a goal, working very hard at it, and exceeding the goal.

I think it also shows that you CAN turn back the clock and get yourself back in better shape even if you've slipped some. Take it one step at a time but keep at it. I'm in the best shape of my life, or at least since I competed in high school sports.

Holy moly, that's amazing. And fast!!! Congratulations--you have turned back the hands (and feet in terms of the running) of time!

Congratulations, 3:19 is a great time. Do you plan to run Boston? I haven't done it but think that every (semi-)serious runner should do it if they have the opportunity.

This is the 20th anniversary year of my last marathon. I still do a a couple of 5ks and 10ks a year and my best 5k time this year projects to a 3:22 marathon from the WAVA tables and my Boston qualifying time is 3:35 so maybe I still have a chance.

I think it also shows that you CAN turn back the clock and get yourself back in better shape even if you've slipped some. Take it one step at a time but keep at it. I'm in the best shape of my life, or at least since I competed in high school sports.

Congratulations, that's a great story. You're as physically fit as when you were 'nobbut a lad', and I'll bet you're financially fitter these days as well.

Good job! I'm hoping to do my first half marathon mid 2011 at age 49. Hope to lose some weight along the way. I have never been very athletic, but I seem to have caught a bit of the running bug. Did my longest run ever last weekend...10 miles plus about a mile walk to warm down. I will never do a 3:19, but would be ecstatic just to complete one.

R

Congratulations! 3:19 is just outstanding. What an accomplishment to lose the weight, stay with your training, and then complete another marathon. Keep it up and all the best!

Congratulations, 3:19 is a great time. Do you plan to run Boston? I haven't done it but think that every (semi-)serious runner should do it if they have the opportunity.

This is the 20th anniversary year of my last marathon. I still do a a couple of 5ks and 10ks a year and my best 5k time this year projects to a 3:22 marathon from the WAVA tables and my Boston qualifying time is 3:35 so maybe I still have a chance.

Thanks all. Yes, I already have my hotel reserved for Boston next year. My sister-in-law and nephew are also going so it should be a fun family trip.

I found a WAVA predictor and it said that I'd run a 3:14 marathon. Many of those tools seem to assume you are doing elite-level training, 90+ miles a week. I peaked at 60 which is still more than a typical program but I don't know where I'd get another 5 minutes from. But with a 13 minute buffer I'm sure with decent training you'd have a great shot at it.

Good job! I'm hoping to do my first half marathon mid 2011 at age 49. Hope to lose some weight along the way. I have never been very athletic, but I seem to have caught a bit of the running bug. Did my longest run ever last weekend...10 miles plus about a mile walk to warm down. I will never do a 3:19, but would be ecstatic just to complete one.

R
Good luck Rambler! I think a half marathon is a great distance for getting great workouts without hitting the break down point many hit in marathon training. I just caught the bug to keep doing fulls, but at some point I know I'll cut back.

You were a whole hour faster than I was! KUTGW.

A great story..........:) I set all my PRs and ran 5 marathons before I turned 30.........and although I run a little, I KNOW I can't get close to my old times..........:)

KUTGW?? Is this some sort of secret language between runners?

Keep Up The Good Work? :LOL:

Congratulations, RB. I wish I had your self discipline!

Congrats! What an encouraging sharing. After not running for about 10 years, I am using my track shoes and running again at 50 years old. Doubt I will take part in any marathon but your sharing has certainly encouraged me to continue running.

You earned your forum name well. Nice going.

I took a different path as I aged (now 61), though I never came close to running a marathon. After a series of musculoskeletal annoyances I decided I needed to stop pushing myself before I do some real damage. I bought a heart rate monitor and started to run to achieve a target heart rate (85% predicted max) for an alloted period of time (45-60 min). Definitely, this is not competitive running, just enjoyment and fitness (AKA senior exercise).

This works well especially in extremely warm climates. Sometimes I get to my target rate with little more than a half-walk (July, sunny, hot, humid) and sometimes I am in a true "jog." I learned that shade makes a big difference. I've pretty much given up sprinting and intervals.

Anyway, congratulations on your running triumphs.

Congrats Runningbum! 3:19 is quite an accomplishment at any age. Keep up the good work.

I dont run marathons anymore due to "musculoskeletal annoyances" (as mentioned by doc above), but I still hike and bike quit a bit. But I cant seem to get back into the shape I was in during my marathon days.

... so I decided to take another shot at a serious marathon training program.
I lost the weight I had gained back, and kept losing until last week I actually got down to the weight I remember being when I went out for football my junior year of high school. That was during a 3-day very low carb diet getting ready to carb load before a race this past weekend, so 3 pounds came back on, but it was still a kick to get down to that weight even if just for a day or two.
I won't bore you with the details of my running program, but it was a lot of miles including some fast ones. And I stretched and did core exercise almost every day.
I think a lot of credit is due to the maturity (the mental/emotional kind, not the chronological aspect) and the experience that comes with age. By the time people get to this point, they've either given up completely-- or else their setbacks have shown them how to realistically reach their goals and they have the mental toughness to make it happen.

I'm the slowest taekwondo fighter in my dojang, and I'm not as powerful as many. But I've learned to tolerate an impressive amount of pain/impact, I don't get upset/angry, and I am by far the sneakiest. You can't even develop those skills in the 20-somethings, let alone the teens.

I've pretty much given up sprinting and intervals.
Recently I've made the following discovery: If I include an all-out sprint, or hard hill climb on the bike, even if it is for only 30 seconds or so, it seems to make me feel better later in the day. If I started my run feeling kind of tired, this seems to rejuvenate me. If I don't include a sprint, I might be just as tired later in the day as before running.

I first noticed this after surfing, which often includes mandatory all-out efforts (to avoid being squashed by a wave). I'd be surprised to find that I was less tired after surfing than before (or perhaps tired but feeling good).

Anyone else notice this? Is it my imagination?

Back
Top Bottom