Life is Precious--and Sometimes Short

ScottFromUtah

Recycles dryer sheets
A little over a year ago, my daughter Sheri passed away due to eclampsia during childbirth. (The baby miraculously survived an emergency c-section.) Since then four of my good friends, all men in their mid 50s, died suddenly. One had a chronic heart disease that finally took him. Another had an unexpected seizure. Another had a simple, "ordinary" fall on the ski slopes, hit his chest, and never recovered. The last one, a city manager and a co-worker of mine in our local church, left a city council meeting early because he wasn't feel well, tried to drive home or to the hospital, had a heart attack, crashed into a parked car with two passengers (who received minor injuries), and died instantly. Life is tenuous.

Carpe diem.

So sorry to hear of all this, Scott.

And yes, you are so right. Every moment is a gift to be cherished, because we never know if it might be our last.

Sorry about your friends and especially sorry about losing your daughter . That is the hardest thing for a parent to go through . I lost my son eight years ago and it still hurts . Take care !

Thanks for the sad reminder, Scott--while we prudently plug in a 90+ year lifespan into the retirement calculators, we need to keep in mind the flip side and live for today.

But your daughter was just way too young. :(

Ya, plan to live to be 100, live like you won't make it until next week.

I had a friend die at 47. Felt like he had the flu for a couple of weeks. He was the type that didn't go to the doctor. Turned out to be a an infection and by the time he went to the hospital, feeling really bad, it was too late. His heart was permanently damaged and he passed a few days later.

Bad part is he and his wife never really had a honeymoon or got away together. Now she regrets not making the time. They always assumed there would be time when they got older. You never know.

My deepest condolences for all you've been through. Thanks for reminding us about what's really important.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your daughter. It's tough to see our friends die before their times. Sad stuff.

Scott, my condolences on losing Sheri. I cannot even imagine how awful this must be.

Is Dad raising your grandchild alone? How is he doing?

Ha

I'm sorry for your heartache Scott....:( Warm hugs from Texas...

Tonya

I too am sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how tough that must be to deal with. Yes, we all need to cherish each and every day we have left.

Scott,

My condolences on the loss of your daughter.

I learned all too early about how tenuous life is. I was 10 when my father (age 44) died in an industrial accident. Six months later my grandfather died. This past January my wife, of 31 years, passed away from cancer.

I try to enjoy every day of my life and I always tell those close to me how much I love them (why wait until it's too late). I don't want my epitaph to be "I wish I had....).

I learned all too early about how tenuous life is. I was 10 when my father (age 44) died in an industrial accident. Six months later my grandfather died. This past January my wife, of 31 years, passed away from cancer.
That would be tough, very tough. Condolences and best wishes.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. Even a year and two months later, we are pained at the thought of her death. In fact we visited her grave today. She was a wonderful, loving daughter.

Scott, my condolences on losing Sheri. I cannot even imagine how awful this must be.

Is Dad raising your grandchild alone? How is he doing?
Sheri's husband, our SIL, lived with us for seven months so that DW and I could help take care of the baby and her older sister (now age 4). SIL continued to work for the same company, online from our home in Utah for his company in Montana. (What a wonderful company to be so supportive.) But then he needed to go back to work onsite, and got tired of us :), and took the two precious girls with him. He has a wonderful childcare giver who takes care of the girls during working hours. DW and I travel to MT frequently to give support.

I am happy to report that SIL is doing well, is a fantastic, caring, loving father, although he gets lonely, as you can imagine. The two little girls are growing, learning, playing, laughing, singing, and generally acting exactly like well-adjusted, happy children everywhere. We love them dearly, just as we do our other 19 grandchildren. (Yes, 21 total!!)

As a side note, this SIL and I have become very close. We both like to hike and run, so we have done a couple of half marathons together and we have hiked Angel's Landing and The Subway in Zion National Park and have been on a few other hikes together. Oh, and he's dating someone now, so we'll see what happens there.

Wow Scott! Congratulations on the 19 grandkids, and on the tight family that you have that has helped SIL get along and the new baby and older child thrive.

If his interest stays around, I hope that you and your wife will find her to be compatible.

Ha

ScottFromUtah...my sincere condolences on the loss of your precious daughter. I can't think of anything else to say as words are woefully insufficient in this case. I am glad to hear that your son-in-law and the children as well as you and your wife and the rest of the family are coping and thriving. Thanks for the reality check as we do tend to get consumed by our petty cares.

I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter and good friends. What a good reminder to enjoy each day as we don't know about tomorrow. It's wonderful that you and your wife have an important role in your grandaughters lives. Congratulations on all the grandchildren!

My condolences.

While I can't compare losing friends to a daughter, I know how you feel about the others. I've lost one good friend and have another about to say good-bye. Both are 10 years younger than me. Live for today.

...(snip)...
As a side note, this SIL and I have become very close. We both like to hike and run, so we have done a couple of half marathons together and we have hiked Angel's Landing and The Subway in Zion National Park and have been on a few other hikes together. Oh, and he's dating someone now, so we'll see what happens there.
It could be quite delicate handling the transition should your SIL marry again. It's wonderful that you have such a close bond.

Ya, plan to live to be 100, live like you won't make it until next week.

I see your point, but it is not that simple. If I knew I was going to die year , I would spend a lot of money doing various things.
There is no way of escaping the fact that if you die unexpectedly early and had properly planned for a long life, you will leave a lot of money to someone or something. One can never ensure that you will win that game.

So sorry to hear of your losses, Scott, and those of our other members. DH was saying this morning that he's give a lot of thought lately to living in the moment and trying to really experience what is going on, instead of thinking ahead to the next thing, the next week, the next whatever. It is hard to put into practice.

Scott and Moe, I am so sorry for your dear children's losses. I can't even imagine the pain. Scott, that was great of you and your DW to take care of your grandchildren for 7 months. It must have been extremely hard when they moved away. It is great that you do have such a great relationship with him. It is not easy to lose friends either and we do need to live in the present more. Not always easy for me either.

If I knew I was going to die year , I would spend a lot of money doing various things.
Me too, but after I made bail I'd count on dying before the prosecution could bring the indictments to trial...

DH was saying this morning that he's give a lot of thought lately to living in the moment and trying to really experience what is going on, instead of thinking ahead to the next thing, the next week, the next whatever. It is hard to put into practice.
I do this pretty well. For me, it makes daily life much simpler. However, it doesn't really help with the fear and dread around death, mine or others.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom