Re-silvering silver items with tarnish spots???

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone here successfully re-silvered anything they own (silverware, tea pots, silver bowls, etc.)? And what did you use?
I found this on Amazon.com, but don't know this particular product.
Amazon.com: JAX SILVER PLATING SOLUTION 4 OZ.: Home Improvement

I used to have some re-silvering liquid that seemed to work okay, but that was ages ago and the bottle is long gone.

Anyone know a great system to re-silver items other than sending it to a professional to do:confused:

Sorry, I've got no experience with resilvering things (other than, in a pinch, using Testor's model paint to make a "gold" military insignia look like silver, which I don't recommend)

Anyway, this hobbyist site has some possibly useful info about the process and, at the bottom, some links to resilvering solutions and to some letters written by folks who have tried them and who ask questions about using them.

Good luck.

Are you sure the items need to be replated? If they just have tarnished spots they may only need a good polishing. I'm pretty sure you can get silver polish in any grocery store, or if not, a hardware store. If the polish doesn't do the trick this time you still won't have wasted your money, because the items will still need to be polished now and then after you have them replated.

Samclem, I have no idea how you found that site but thanks! Just what the Dr. ordered...:)

Back
Top Bottom